What will it take for you to bowl in Rocky ??

Icequeen, most bowlers will go there once in their lives and for all the wrong reasons will learn for themselves probably never to return.

If you really love him let him go and if he loves you back I'm sure he will return....something like that anyway. Just be prepared for anything when he returns that's all. He may never be the same.:p :D

well i would consider comming up for it, just may need help getting from airport... but thats something for later on, and a nice payout would help... as far as oil, i dont care what is thrown down, i have bowled at mayfield a few times before they knew what oil is, people were thrownin plastics and i never got deeper than 17 at the foul line.

OK. I too have been watching this thread. Each centre is different. Conditions change depending on the 'tech of the day', and equipment available. If you are a tournament bowler driven by $'s then I accept they would have to be good to attract you to Rocky. The conditions are difficult, and the airconditioning in summer is insufficient.

But (to Christine/Icequeen), I have been to Rocky for many years, in January, for the Junior Shield. It is a great experience for the juniors. The format, travel away, team development is brilliant if the junior aspires to represent the state (SQ or NQ) at the nationals Shield.

If you bowl because you enjoy the challenge, then you bowl to suit the conditions. Rockhampton is a challenge, but that is what makes it different. And everytime, you come away with a story or two to tell.

So back to the question "What will it take for you to bowl in Rocky ??", the answer will be dependent on what the bowler is looking for. If the bowler wants to come away with big scores, put down a pattern that will provide this (talk with Caboolture). If the bowler wants big payouts, look for more/bigger sponsors. If the bowler wants the experience, put together a package (airfare/accom/bowling fees) and a format (e.g. teams like Shield).

Then again, some won't come, even if you do build it!!!

That's my 2 yen worth!

I really cannot see what all the fuss is about. If all centres had a keggle your oil patterns would be very similar so why would you go to another centre with the same pattern as your home centre. Come on that is why there different so we can learn to adjust to different conditions. As to damage it is your own fault you hauled it down the lane! these centres deserve our patronage as much as the metro centres, go and bowl, meet the locals and most of all have ago ya mug

OK. I too have been watching this thread. Each centre is different. Conditions change depending on the 'tech of the day', and equipment available. If you are a tournament bowler driven by $'s then I accept they would have to be good to attract you to Rocky. The conditions are difficult, and the airconditioning in summer is insufficient.
But (to Christine/Icequeen), I have been to Rocky for many years, in January, for the Junior Shield. It is a great experience for the juniors. The format, travel away, team development is brilliant if the junior aspires to represent the state (SQ or NQ) at the nationals Shield.
If you bowl because you enjoy the challenge, then you bowl to suit the conditions. Rockhampton is a challenge, but that is what makes it different. And everytime, you come away with a story or two to tell.
So back to the question "What will it take for you to bowl in Rocky ??", the answer will be dependent on what the bowler is looking for. If the bowler wants to come away with big scores, put down a pattern that will provide this (talk with Caboolture). If the bowler wants big payouts, look for more/bigger sponsors. If the bowler wants the experience, put together a package (airfare/accom/bowling fees) and a format (e.g. teams like Shield).
Then again, some won't come, even if you do build it!!!
That's my 2 yen worth!
well said mate
I bowled their in my final year of juniors in 1994, i was never good enough to make Pres Shield and representing my assoication in that tournament and coming second was by far the highlight of juniors for me. Back then we would of bowled on concrete if it meant bowling in rocky and coming up against the people who had bowled for SQ.

They may lay a tough condition but at the end of the day all bowlers have to bowl on the same condition and there is always a shot over every condition if you look hard enough and execute it accurately.

Really most of the answers relate to on "How to make a Tournament or an Event to be a Success?"

SERVICE is the key here and Rockhampton Bowl management lack greatly in this department.

Proof is in the Thread. How many positives on here for Rocky? 1 maybe 2
How many negatives? Too many to count( not good for business ).

I bowled State Champs there a few years ago and had a good time. Conditions were tough but i came away pleased i avg just over the card for my all events. Struggled the second day at masters but put that down to lack of knowledge. ( good experience)

The other thing i remember was watching staff dress the lanes between squads. I watched staff start dragging the lane from the middle to the foul line then walked back thru what he had drag to do the other half. I commented to the person beside me with " What is he doing?". A big booming voice from behind told me" thats how you do the lanes properly everyone else does it wrong". He was the manager at the time , he might not be there now? ( bad experience )

Negative news travels a hell of lot faster than postive.

For me i'd roll there again and i would give Rocky a 2nd chance to redeem itself because everyone deserves a 2nd chance.

Good luck to those trying to make this happen. I hope it works out.

Hamo
tony hamilton

I don't deem the lane conditions in Rocky to be bowling at all, saying their tough is a cop out to poor maintenance. Bowlers from Rocky always tend to say bowlers from down south should be able to adjust, but what they dont realise is that the Rockhampton is truly the only centre of its type in my entire travels around the world.

So I ask you, is the rest of the World right or the staff at Rockhapmton?

The lanes are terrible, the small amount of liquid (most centres call oil) is terrible, the attitude of the staff was terrible, aircon is non existant, the list goes on.

Maybe 15yrs ago when everyone was throwing urethane it was ok but now with high tec balls and higher viscosity oils it's just not good enough. Rocky is stuck in a time warp and I'm not interested in travelling back to the past.

Rocky is rated in my worst 3 centres in the entire world and apart from installing new lanes, new air con and buying an oiling machine which is designed to do more than 12 lanes, I'm not interested in revisiting it.

Sometimes the truth hurts but there's no one to blame but themselves.....

We have never competed in Rocky but have gone there as spectators and had a few social games (with our own equipment) when the lanes were free and were appalled at the way these lanes were presented.

Tony and George have hit the nail on the head "SERVICE" and "EXPERIENCE" are the key.

The atmoshere is electric and the kids have a absolute ball, but the canteen lacks manpower and orders are lost. It would probably be cooler outside than inside and to see big names struggling abviously goes to show that it is not as simple as "being able to adjust". We have seen majority of these promising bowlers bowl in various centres and place well, but you go to Rocky and EVERYONE struggles it is extremely frustrating. The oiling is definately a major factor! Damage to bowling balls is a regular event and also extremely frustrating.

However the overall experience is wonderful for a young junior and we're sure every second junior has a Rockhampton story or a little catch cry they will spruke for the following months after they return.

Having taken the juniors up there a few times as a manager and only bowled a few games I would be very interested in going up there for a tournament. Ok, the lanes are very dry and a fe bowlers have had their gear damaged, but it makes it all the more fun to try something different. Everyone who bowls there does so under their own free will and therefore should not get that upset when something goes wrong. If anything was to go ahead you could almost always count me in.

This thread i think was designed to see what it would take to get bowlers in Rockhampton for a tournament…

Weather it be a Major, Minor, or part of the new circuit, I think the bowlers who bowl there wanted to know what it would take for people to attend such events…

Lets not turn this into something that can hurt a Business or business owner for that matter…Lets leave it to be constructive rather than destructive…

I believe that if you had a bad experience there years ago then things and people can change… You will never know that unless you revisit it again to find out…Don’t let one bad experience turn you away for ever…Talking to some of the higher average bowlers up there things have started to change and by the sounds of it that can only be good for both the bowlers and the centre in question.

Best of luck with it, and yes if there is an attractive event going to be held there in 2007 then let me know…I would be keen to have a throw up there for the first time and help promote it through the site.

Jase, could you be a bit more specific? What to you would be an attractive event for Rocky? As the question does ask, what would it take?

Alot has changed in the Rocky centre in the past year. They have just resurfaced one lot of lanes and have a new oiling machine. I personally have not liked Rocky lanes but things do change. I now travel up there once a week to bowl in league.

How much prize money would needed to be offered for people to come up to Rocky?

Is bowling in Tournments all about money now. What about having a good time and if you win, you win. Also it should be about supporting other centres and getting fresh new bowlers into the tournment scene.

Andrew

Is bowling in Tournments all about money now. What about having a good time and if you win, you win. Also it should be about supporting other centres and getting fresh new bowlers into the tournment scene.
Andrew

That sentence, I believe, goes a long way to describing what is wrong with tournament bowling in Australia. End of story. Maybe not Rocky specifically on its own, but in general throughout Australia.

Hi Nathan I lived in Emerald and Rockhampton for many years. Yes it does get hot up there but so do some centres in Brisbane when the air conditioning fails. I am a 195-200 bowler and would definately think of making the trek. I have travelled to Sydney and Melbourne so Rocky would be a quick trip. Interested to see how things go.

I have moved to Rockhampton about 4 months ago. I have been bowling up in rockhampton for 3 months and i have not yet had a problem but lanes are tough. They do have oil on them but they are still working out how to lay it some weeks are good some are bad.
The lanes were resurfaced last week and are looking better.
I would like to see another tournament like country cup i enjoyed it. The atmosphere, the friends you make and the weekend away is good.
That is my input hope it helps.
Amanda.

I have moved to Rockhampton about 4 months ago. I have been bowling up in rockhampton for 3 months and i have not yet had a problem but lanes are tough. They do have oil on them but they are still working out how to lay it some weeks are good some are bad.
The lanes were resurfaced last week and are looking better.
I would like to see another tournament like country cup i enjoyed it. The atmosphere, the friends you make and the weekend away is good.
That is my input hope it helps.
Amanda.
oh so thats why i dont see you anymore lol

hi im having trouble understanding some southern philosofies 'if u play 4 2oo bucks or 2000 is your ability enhanced especially if your a hi ranked bowler my way of thinkin is ;imake an effort to play on yoor turf contribute to the prizefunds you guys should do the same or havent ya got the balls left or right plastic 'uro 'reac etc etc sorry ladies
signed too tuff

Back
Top Bottom