What will it take for you to bowl in Rocky ??

nls

I know that everyone will come up with a comical answer initially but thats NOT what I am after....
Since the Country Cup folded the local bowling community of Rockhampton has been starved of a tournament that has attracted the states top bowlers. I think it is about time that Rocky was put back on everyones calander for a serious comp.
I have been in a private message discussion with Jase about the possibility of having Rocky or Gladstone included as a stop for the "new" Wide Bay Circuit (or whatever it ends up getting called!). Hope you won't mind me quoting you Jase but this was a part of his reply
Gladstone was considered but, it didnt get alot of support as its nearly 6 hours from Brisbane...We tried to make most events nothing outside 4 hours driving...Gladstone on the last circuit struggled to always get support...Unless you can show me otherwise it will take some convincing... Mind you nothing is out of the question...
This got me thinking. What would it take to get people to bowl in a tournament in Rocky ??I would love to hear what it would take to get you up this way (or down this way if you are in NQ).
I know most will be able to come up with a witty answer that will be highly hilarous, but after you get over your initial thoughts, please post a serious reply. I am interested in hearing on what WILL get you to bowl in Rocky.
Please post a reply or if you do not want to go "public" on the forum please PM me.
Thanks
Nathan
PS : Bear in mind Rocky has a major regional airport that is serviced by Qantas, Virign Blue & Jetstar.....approx 1 hr flight from Brisbane. Being a smaller city, we also find local media are keen to cover major local events & this all positive in raising the profile of our sport.

Hi Nathan,

No problems quoting me at all mate.

I for one have never bowled in Rocky ever and if there was an event there with a good prize fund it would be one I would add it to my personal travel arrangements…

I have always heard about the age old stories that there is never any oil in Rocky EVER…But don’t wish to comment on that as like I said have never been there before…I for one try and support most events held in my own state…

Gladstone was an event that notoriously struggled for numbers…Later on in time I have no idea if it was just the travel…conditions…bad event timing…or maybe just the fact it wasn’t promoted that well…To bowl Gladstone you used to have to take at least Friday afternoon off work to drive up, and the added extra nights accommodation to the bill…With a late Sunday afternoon finish of match play meant for a late drive home to Brisbane…All starts to add up as I don’t have to explain that to those who live miles away from the other events.

As for the circuit, next year is a building year and hopefully we can look to include other centers down the track… I would love to see quiet a few of you all travel to next years circuit…The biggest thing about the country centers is getting the local support and that means bowlers as well…

Country centers seem to get great support from there local media and sponsors which is fantastic, it’s just that they need the local bowlers to get behind it also.

It's an easy answer. Oil the lanes. Bowling should not be a contest to see who can throw a plastic ball the hardest. I don't care if the condition is hard or easy or whatever, but put out a condition that gives everyone a chance to play their natural game.
The stories of balls being destroyed and not replaced don't help, either. My feelings are that if you put on a decent tournament, people will give it a go - once. If the place is a horror story, they won't go back - if it's not, they will. Simple as that.

Going to agree with robbie, it may also help to schedule the event during the cooler months to avoid so much of the heat and serious humidity that you encounter up there. The past stories of it being dry, hot and humid, where you take nothing but a plastic and a few crisp towels does (or did) ring true, its tough to bowl on and is fun with a collection of friends around you, but for a serious tournament it probably wont cut it.

Ohh, good prize fund will help too, like jase said, something to entice people out of the suburbs, money generally overcomes any downsides of travel, that and a well hosted, planned and run tournament. If you can nail those things people will come.

Gladstone and Rocky maybe so far away but what about us up here that have to travel all that way down to Brisbane to compete in the Tournments down there. It is easy enough for you guys down there to get sponsorship for your tournments but up here it is very difficult. To travel up this way you wouldn't have to take the Friday off. I travel to Brisbane for tournments all the time and I have never had to take the Friday off. It just seems that the Brisbane bowlers only care about themselves and don't worry about us bowlers in the regional centers. Maybe more of an effort could be taken to support these centers.

Even if Gladstone and Rocky to put up a good prize fund not many people would come up here. I have been bowling in these centers and my balls have not been destroyed. It maybe hard to bowl on up here for you guys down there but how do you think it is for us coming down there. Same deal. There maybe only a little bit of oil but it makes the lanes that little bit more challenging.

Andrew

I am lucky enough to have bowled Junior Nationals and Country Cup at Rocky and even though the lane conditions were always a bit tough, you were always guaranteed of a good time.

I know a couple of the guys/girls from Rocky make the trek north and south to bowl tournies, so it would be great to have a tournament that is in their home centre where they don't have to travel.

I would definately have a shot at a tournament provided there was a decent amount of oil on the lanes and the prize fund was adequate/attractive.

Just my 2c worth

Cheers

Steve Hunt:D

Yeah, but i do believe the question was put out to other bowlers too, not just those up north. In all seriousness, do you have enough bowlers in fnq to fill the squads without people coming from elsewhere?

Sorry that it might seem like people are only thinking of themselves, but sometimes you have to be realistic too (hence the reason of this thread i think).

For the few times I've bowled in sunny Rocky the lanes and lane conditions were appauling. Bowling should be a measure of skill and versatility, not a speed contest involving countless hours spent at the chiropracter after the event.

I'm sorry but unless a Kegel fell from the sky I'd probably not make the trip, whilst I have heard from a realiable source things have improved since they purchased an AMF express I'm still not convinced.

There's plenty of other events on I can travel to without fear of doing my shoulder in. Offer something crazy for 1st and I might be swayed, otherwise I'm sorry, I'm not coming...........

19 years ago i said i would never walk thru them doors and i will be happy to say in 19 years time it will be 38 since i have.

no thanks

One thing to consider is that you will not support a scratch singles event (assuming that is what you are planning) simply on out of town bowlers in a regional centre. IF there was a half decent pattern posted as the tournament pattern and a worthwhile prize fund, I would guess that you could get a couple dozen bowlers travelling. Maybe more depending on when it was and what there was to bowl in on nearby dates. That won't help unless you get enough locals bowling to get the numbers up to viable levels. More people will travel if the first one is a success and word gets out that things have changed for the better. Probably a dozen or more for NQ; I'd have a go, and most of us up here are used to seeing 'testing' :D conditions at fairly regular intervals.

Andrew, none of my comments earlier were aimed at Gladstone. It is a fact of life that Rocky has a bad rep on several issues. As far as adjusting to less oil, there is a point where a solid physical game becomes a detriment rather than an advantage and Rocky has in my experience been well past that point on every occasion I have been there. IMHO, it is easier for a bowler who has learnt to bowl on desert conditions to buy a wriststrap and an aggressive ball to be competitive on oil, than for a bowler to unlearn a strong physical game. While people can resort to throwing plastic or urethane, a lot of bowlers won't do it because of fears of losing carry, and my last experience of Rocky was lofting the left gutter with a grey Angle anyway.

Basically, if you put out a condition that the vast majority of bowlers in the State are not comfortable with, most won't come back. At some point you have to enjoy what you are doing to make you want to go. You can debate the fairness or otherwise of that until the cows come home, but it won't alter the reality of the situation.

Good luck.

Well I'm supposed to be bowling there in January. I'm happy to go up there and resort to using old gear and "losing carry" as long as I can pay off the tech, so he can knock over the 10pin with a stick. Then I will be able to Mushtarise the competition. Sounds like fun actually.. might shoot him an email and get some tips before I go.

Note to self - pack an extra towel for scoring camera.

Until I bowl there in January, I'll leave my judgement for now.

Oil the lanes.

Having witnessed Rocky Junior Shield for 3 years and seen some excellent bowlers struggle I think the lanes need to be oiled, maybe the air conditioning could work better.

I have also bowled on them in 2004, I know I am not an elite bowler but it was tough!!!!

well.. i know this is a bit hrmm... comical.. but air conditioning would be a good start. When theres hundreds of people in the one area in the middle of summer not only does it get bloody hot but the lanes dry out really quick!

The reason country cup folded was because scratch bowlers were going away for one weekend and it would destroy their game for a year.

There was 13 teams 14 per team of scratch bowlers competing and average of averages shot was around 2o to 25 pins under entering average

182 bowlers can't just be bowling bad all at the same time

Just might have been the condition

When you have bowlers happy to shoot 15 under average something is wrong

Rob

This may seem like a stupid question, (and we have never bowled there) but if the conditions are SOOOOO bad in Rockhampton, why do these events still get slated there year after year??? Why haven't bowlers boycotted??? Doesnt the state body have any control over where the event goes??? :confused:

This may seem like a stupid question, (and we have never bowled there) but if the conditions are SOOOOO bad in Rockhampton, why do these events still get slated there year after year??? Why haven't bowlers boycotted??? Doesnt the state body have any control over where the event goes??? :confused:

No, because these events were set up by Rockhampton and John Mckenna as far as I am aware, and TBAQ has nothing, or little, to do with it.

I might start practicing my one handed shot.. would probably still hook it from the gutter up there :D

I would bowl there again if they removed the foundation pole thats situated beside you on lane 9 or 10. 2 Years ago smashed my shin in my delevery stride and couldnt bowl on that pair, just a thought. Also not replaceing balls when it takes out huge chunks, than sanding it back so the ball is warped, and saying its fixed does not sit well with bowlers. Lastly get or borrow an oil machine that can at least put oil more than 15 feet down the lane!!

Oh dear! Been watching this thread very closely....

Son has just been picked to bowl in Rockhampton. Does this mean his 3 new balls will be wrecked. Worse still, will not be replaced. Far too much money invested to have equipment damaged.:confused:

Maybe I should think twice about allowing him to go.:rolleyes:

Will be monitoring this thread and anything to do with Rockhampton.

Back
Top Bottom