What do people want to see

Geoff

The problem we have is the average bowler is not well enough informed to know what they want or do not want from a National Body.

In a simplistic point of view they probably don't want anything except a bit of a return for the $$ they pay each year for registration. This could just be one award.

This is where the media / promotional arm of the National Body needs to roll up its sleeves and start to get information out to these bowlers so they will care about what is happening outside of there own little world (league, centre). The more time this takes to occur will delay the ability for the National Body to regain the footing we need it to have.

Coaching is also a good place for the National Body to exert itself again however coaching alone is not enough we need pathways put in place ASAP to enable the development of the next generation of bowling stocks. This is even more critical as we are going to experience a lag in a few years because of the lack of development pathways in the last five odd years.

"My Two Bob's Worth"....(apologies to Bob Cook, Tenpin Strikeout)

Since I retired from the sport in '99 and moved to Brisbane, I have NOT read a Tenpin Bowling article in a local newspaper! I live in an area called the Redlands and we are serviced by two free weekly newspapers reporting on all and every sport but Tenpins...this is so BAD !

This has REALLY stood out to me as in Orange, we had and I'm sure they still do, have a great association with the local media.
During the '80's Bob Cook and Steve Mackie set up an organisation known as ABWA...Australian Bowling Writer's Association of which I was an active member. I went along to the local Central Western Daily Sport's Editor and talked about supplying the paper with WEEKLY league results and associated matters. After a few years a second paper appeared in town and so I branched over to the Midstate Observer and a really great and enthusiastic Ian Hazzard took over the CWD with his long running column.."Fast Lane "

The question being asked is how do we get young people into the game ?
I have long held the view that Tenpin Bowling is a game where..."everyone wins a prize ". Remember the days when ATBC would hand out a 100/ 125 /150/etc pin....quick way to go broke today of course but my point is that via your local newspaper you put the young persons name up in lights via the sports results, a slap on the back for their awe inspiring 150 game and their fabulous conversion of the 7/6/10 split and their scrapbook is underway.

Prior to Bob Cook's Tenpin Strikeout...official journal of the ATBC.. there was another magazine that I think was known as "PINCHATTER" but this was in the 60's. No matter what the magazine, if there ever is a new one, or the local and National media coverage sought, someone has to make the physical and dedicated effort to chase up the news.
In the case of Orange, we had the control staff on every shift taking note of any worthwhile reportable achievments to keep us up todate. People do like to see their name in print and it's a very good way to get newcomers hooked.
Now....anyone want to write next weeks column ????

"My Two Bob's Worth"....(apologies to Bob Cook, Tenpin Strikeout)

Since I retired from the sport in '99 and moved to Brisbane, I have NOT read a Tenpin Bowling article in a local newspaper! I live in an area called the Redlands and we are serviced by two free weekly newspapers reporting on all and every sport but Tenpins...this is so BAD !

This has REALLY stood out to me as in Orange, we had and I'm sure they still do, have a great association with the local media.
During the '80's Bob Cook and Steve Mackie set up an organisation known as ABWA...Australian Bowling Writer's Association of which I was an active member. I went along to the local Central Western Daily Sport's Editor and talked about supplying the paper with WEEKLY league results and associated matters. After a few years a second paper appeared in town and so I branched over to the Midstate Observer and a really great and enthusiastic Ian Hazzard took over the CWD with his long running column.."Fast Lane "

The question being asked is how do we get young people into the game ?
I have long held the view that Tenpin Bowling is a game where..."everyone wins a prize ". Remember the days when ATBC would hand out a 100/ 125 /150/etc pin....quick way to go broke today of course but my point is that via your local newspaper you put the young persons name up in lights via the sports results, a slap on the back for their awe inspiring 150 game and their fabulous conversion of the 7/6/10 split and their scrapbook is underway.

Prior to Bob Cook's Tenpin Strikeout...official journal of the ATBC.. there was another magazine that I think was known as "PINCHATTER" but this was in the 60's. No matter what the magazine, if there ever is a new one, or the local and National media coverage sought, someone has to make the physical and dedicated effort to chase up the news.
In the case of Orange, we had the control staff on every shift taking note of any worthwhile reportable achievments to keep us up todate. People do like to see their name in print and it's a very good way to get newcomers hooked.
Now....anyone want to write next weeks column ????

Very good point

Believe it or not we are working on something right now

I just hope we have the time to get it started and then
to keep it going

Geoff

The problem we have is the average bowler is not well enough informed to know what they want or do not want from a National Body.

In a simplistic point of view they probably don't want anything except a bit of a return for the $$ they pay each year for registration. This could just be one award.

This is where the media / promotional arm of the National Body needs to roll up its sleeves and start to get information out to these bowlers so they will care about what is happening outside of there own little world (league, centre). The more time this takes to occur will delay the ability for the National Body to regain the footing we need it to have.

Coaching is also a good place for the National Body to exert itself again however coaching alone is not enough we need pathways put in place ASAP to enable the development of the next generation of bowling stocks. This is even more critical as we are going to experience a lag in a few years because of the lack of development pathways in the last five odd years.

Terry

We are working on doing a media type thing at the moment
Hope we can get it going

The average bowler may not know what he/she wants
at the moment but i guess in part that is because
there is nothing advertised in centres or promoted
as they once were

There is plenty to work on

Porky, you have Highlighted a very important observation.

When I was working for AMF Australia, they pulled all Advertising in the Local Papers, I believe to save costs. I don't think you can expect the Papers to run a Bowling Story if you don't Advertise in thier Paper! This I think started the Rot, than we had 3 price increases, when the GST was introduced, in the same year, so we have another Rotting problem, the prices are too high. To my way of thinking They should have dropped the prices by 10% to make up for the impact of the GST.

JMHO
willey

I think the problem is two fold.

We have created a culture of high scoring which has inturn created a culture of bowlers who are bowling averages that they would never had achived if centres were not laying 10/10 blocks with friction to burn to the right and left.
I currently bowl in an ID traveling league in Sydney and am constantly amazed at the comments from 200+average league bowlers who cannot read apattern or adjust when someone else burns up their part of the lane.
If these bowlers entered a sports series on a regular basis they would learn to adjust and realise that there is more to bowling than stand left throw it right and wait for it to stop in the right place.
If centres went back to laying a falt pattern and went edge to edge it would create a level playing feild upon which all could improve and learn more about this great sport.

I had 8 years out of the game due to marriage divorce kids work and the like.But now i am back the passion is stronger than ever.
I had never seen patterns as blocked as this until i returned to the game.Yes every one wants to bowl well however if bowling well means you can tug a shot 8 boards and you still go high flush then i feel we have a real issue in the way centres lay some of their patterns.
What i would like to see is the 200+ 10/10 block bowlers become more involved in the touraments centres try to run and learn more about the game they play.
We have some real technitions of the game in this counrty.
Mr Doust self confessed bowling geek( thats cool JD so am i,lets face it anyone who builds a proshop in their house has to be).George ...a lot can be learned from George on using todays high tech equipment and matching surface to oiling patterns.
As well as Belmo..what more needs to be said about Belmo...after watching him in Orange he is a true porfessional and takes his JOB very seriously.
So in conclusion a return to harder oiling patterns and a more focused outlook by the 5% of really passionate players to learn their craft would see our sport start to move forward.
As always this only an opinoin from a 40 something bowling tradgic that would like to see our great sprot return to its days of glory.

people bowling quicker

all these over stretched routines and multiple lane give aways absolutely bore me to tears

Craig,
Do you think bowling quicker will bring back the crowds. Actually I found giving way 2 lanes either side improved my bowling. Had a bit more time to concentrate. It works well if everyone can get into the routine. People who jump me sure know about it. Ask Douggie Bear.
Cheers Lovey

I don't think the pace of bowling is a problem, some people give way more than 2 lanes and some give way to 1 as they don't seem to bothered, a quite word to a guy that dosn't give way when you want 2 should be enough, if they are silly enough to do it a second time them blast away.
I think it is disturbing for better bowlers to be able to miss the mark by 5 or more boards and get a flush hit, but at the same time you see a lot of better bowlers just get frustrated with the harder patterns and drop the head this is not good viewing.
I enjoy watching good bowlers bowl, I actually enjoy some of the sportsmanship shown I reckon let the characters express themselves then people might go and not only watch but participate.

Craig,
Do you think bowling quicker will bring back the crowds. Actually I found giving way 2 lanes either side improved my bowling. Had a bit more time to concentrate. It works well if everyone can get into the routine. People who jump me sure know about it. Ask Douggie Bear.
Cheers Lovey

Steve

I dont think speed is an issue either

Passion would be a good thing to have back
Also The real issue for me is bowlers bowling their real
averages would be welcome to me and iam sure many other
to see people bowling scoring 230+ is boring, no real effort
or accuracy required just a cary a thon

Bring back a condition that makes you think, be accurate
and work on your shot to score, and score well if you do
That makes for a competition between competitors
not a who can get the most corner pins to carry on a ditch

We saw some of the above in the roll off May 1 & 2 at
Castle Hill, It is more of a reality

Never saw you wear blinkers on the lanes though mate

Cheers
Geoff

Since when is a two lane courtesy a rule!?!?

I have a placid temperament 95% of the time but if someone attempts to 'blast' me for not allowing two lanes, I'll 'blast' them back!

If you want to try to enforce your own rules ... good luck! ;)

Since when is a two lane courtesy a rule!?!?

I have a placid temperament 95% of the time but if someone attempts to 'blast' me for not allowing two lanes, I'll 'blast' them back!

If you want to try to enforce your own rules ... good luck! ;)

my point exactly

plus in a 20 lane house if you give way 1 lane to the left/right, you have 10 people bowling at once, the more lanes you give way, the less bowling is happening, and the less bowling, the more boring it becomes

people bowling quicker

all these over stretched routines and multiple lane give aways absolutely bore me to tears

Craig, when you posted that, I read it several times, and honestly couldn't work out what you were talking about.

After the other posts, it is quite clear to me. Coming from the days when the etiquette was simple - give way to the bowler on your right ( one lane ) and be ready to bowl when it was your turn - no wonder I didn't know what you meant. I didn't know what you meant by either " over stretched routines" or " multiple lane givaways." I do now!

Some years ago, I was in a league, where one of the bowlers ( bowling a hign average ) had long legs and long arms, and had a 'flailing' type approach. He looked like a cross between a pelican taking off over water and one of those wind farm wind generator type thingos. NO MATTER HOW I TRIED, if he was on his approach, on any lane in the centre ( 12 lanes ), whether he started before or after me, he used to get in my eye, and I 'pulled' my shot.

Would you believe, I thought that was my fault, by not being able to concentrate on what I was doing, and 'block him out' mentally. What I used to do was keep my eye on him so that I timed my bowling to avoid his approach. When and if i miscued on that, I still knew it was my fault.

I'm hoping to be able to bowl some tournaments again soon, I think the last one I bowled was the 2002 Canberra Open. I didn't see any signs at that time that we were 'progressing' towards a spectacle like a pro golfer walking around and around a putt for 2 or more minutes, then stopping and doing it all over again when someone cleared their throat.

I suggest that those who expect multiple lane give ways, etc., give some serious thought to working on their own mental game. If I AM able to re-enter the tournament scene, I don't expect to be blamed for the weaknesses in someone elses game.

Steve,

I also guess that the personalities have been pretty much legislated out of the game as well (see Rachuig where you can get a red card for riding a shot more than one lane and sledging is frowned upon) meaning there is a lot of automotons out there who are too scared of getting a card. Imagine Bruce Peel or Ron Spiteri today. They would struggle to get through practice without getting carded.

Can not agree more with Brenton on this one...in 2005 or 2006 the NSW Rachuig team did actually get carded in the official practise!!!...they have taken all the fun and atmosphere out of what used to make it such a great event.

As for getting more ppl to watch...dont have all the answers but we have to try and make it exciting for ppl to watch and as George said create some rivalaries so ppl have someone or something to support. George and myself have banter between each other all the time about our different brands. Specatator need to be passoniate about supporting a brand or an individual

Can not agree more with Brenton on this one...in 2005 or 2006 the NSW Rachuig team did actually get carded in the official practise!!!...they have taken all the fun and atmosphere out of what used to make it such a great event.

George and myself have banter between each other all the time about our different brands. Specatator need to be passoniate about supporting a brand or an individual

They Deserved it...:p:p

Mate anyone who supports the SHARKIES deserves the banter coming there way...:D:D:D:D:D:D

Goodness me !! Look what I just came across in the TBA rule book.

RULE 211 SLOW BOWLING
Players preparing to step on the approach and deliver a ball shall have the following rights and obligations:
a) They may claim right of way only over a player moving to the approach or preparing to bowl on the
lane immediately to their left.
b) Players shall yield to a player moving to the approach or preparing to bowl on the lane immediately to
their right.
c) Players shall be ready to bowl when it is their turn and shall not delay the start of their approach or
delivery if the lane immediately adjacent to them on both the right and the left are clear.
d) From the time the player steps on to the approach, no more than 20 seconds is to have elapsed
before delivery of the ball.
If a player does not observe the procedures outlined in a, b, c and d above, it may be construed as slow
bowling. A player failing to observe these procedures shall be warned by an authorized tournament/League
official as follows:

A flogging for observing reasonable common courtesy?!?!

Are you sure you want to go down that road Adrian??

Its bowling, reasonable common courtesy gets left at the door :p (rememeber what a lot of this thread says, what do we want to see? seems to be a lot of people getting the a$$ and yelling at each other after this weekend, damn!!!!)

Back
Top Bottom