What a guy!!

grumpie

I don't know Rob Garioch that closely but I would hazard a guess that he would not be that happy with the fact that I am making such a big deal out of this. But what can I say apart from "Get over it Rob!".;)

Rob actually won a bowling ball at Country Cup on Monday as the Most Valuable Player. He made one of the best gestures I have seen in a long time and donated the ball to Matthew Curnow from Sale.

Matt is 15 and has just bowled his 1st Country Cup with the big boys. Watching him bowl, you would never have know. He took on the great Wayne Mills and beat him the first round. As if that wasn't enough, La Trobe made the mistake of lining Wayne up against him in the 2nd round with the same result.

Enough about Matt at the moment but keep your eyes out for this young man. He is on his way up.

Rob, you probably don't realise what your gesture has meant to Matt. He is so deserving of this gesture in so many different ways.

You are a true champion and a great asset to this sport. From the bottom of my heart I say :groupwave2:

Liz Fabian-Czmok

I think everyone there during the presentation felt how big that moment was.
I know i got the warm fuzzy feeling :shy:

Yes thats one of the greatest gestures i have seen. It not only made me happy it made me proud that he was a member of my team. A true gentlemen.

Deano

I think Rob has more manners than the remainder of you!! LOL

A big thumbs up to the most talked about moment in Country Cup 08!!

In a few years no one will remember who won (except Shepp) but we will all remember what a fabulous guy that Rob Garioch is!!

not to mention matt beat big deano in the last round ;O

let me tell u now!! he was pretty proud!!

anyyy whooo

yeah my dad is pretty mad huh!!

u no it runs in the family ;p haha

I believe that this gesture will see a young man to become a future captain of an association country cup team!

Possibly a state rep or even a future Australian rep!!

Thank you Rob!

Yeah it was the best thing to come out of the weekend and one of the best things i have seen CHEERS TO GREAT BLOKE im sure it will never be forgotten

I have known Rob for a few years & he is one of the great people that live in Mildura ...To do what he did is of no surprise to me !!! He & his family are all fantastic people ....

See ya at the same time this year !!!!!

All
I have a question.
Robs generosity was outstanding - no question.
Should OTB actually be awarding bowling balls as encouragement awards at CCup rather than the MVP.
I'll still give trophies but - the question stands.

What are the thoughts of CCup bowlers (and others).

I'm happy to discuss options.

David

All
I have a question.
Robs generosity was outstanding - no question.
Should OTB actually be awarding bowling balls as encouragement awards at CCup rather than the MVP.
I'll still give trophies but - the question stands.
What are the thoughts of CCup bowlers (and others).
I'm happy to discuss options.
David

Its definately worth discussing.

My honest opinion is that it would be great to see say 1 female and 1 male receive a ball as encouragement awards..

But the big question is... how do you judge it? and on what criteria?

Criteria

Teams would nominate an opposition bowler (PER GAME) that they think as a team is worthy of the Encouragement Award.
At the end of the 2 or 3 days the votes are tallied up and you'd have a winner.

Should there be a tie, then points won or total pin fall or split them.

Just my thoughts

Criteria

Teams would nominate an opposition bowler (PER GAME) that they think as a team is worthy of the Encouragement Award.
At the end of the 2 or 3 days the votes are tallied up and you'd have a winner.

Should there be a tie, then points won or total pin fall or split them.

Just my thoughts

Thats kinda what i thought also.. I guess it wouldnt be too hard to keep a running tally game by game by the centre running the tournament.

The bit i have made bold is the most important thing though..

A couple more things to think of.
The system for selecting a suitable recipient - must be easy to manage, i.e. teams must actually care enough to fill out any voting forms. They're at the tournament to win, not pick an encouragement award. And the TD should be able to do it and still do his/her job.

Also, it should be as consistant as possible and actually have meaning.
If it only goes to rookies, should they get it automatically if there is only 2, 1 female, 1 male?
I am planning to attend CCup as much as possible, but I cant be there all the time - the 'judges' have to be fair. At the end of the day, I pay for this award, I want it to have prestige and be something people want to win.
I have seen situations where a voted award winner was rigged by just 7 poeple out of 70! Its easy to do.

Maybe it shouldnt be a ball, maybe something else?

All food for thought, all good.

Thanks
David

Encouragement awards for new country cup bowlers would be a great idea. How to choose who is worthy, is the question.

Some good points raised, but when people make the decisions they can be seen to be bias even if they are not.

Sounds like a fantastic idea though Dave.

Back
Top Bottom