Understanding the value of a good spare game

John_Velo

G'Day all,

Spare shooting has been the hardest thing for me as a three game a week League Hack. I am working on it when I can.

But what is a spare worth to your average, this video spells it out. Richard Shockley is the man in front of the camera. A little tough to listen to if you are the sensitive type, but he is spot on.

Bowling Tip of the Week - Spare Shooting - YouTube

This is Richards's website: Richard Shockley's Virtual Bowling Academy - Bowling Tips and Custom Bowling Lessons.

Thanks for reading,

Definitely house shot tips. Hooking the plastic isn't recommended. It's a whole lot easier to throw it dead straight, and it completely takes the lane out of play. Something that is of up most importance on anything harder then a house patten.

Cow

Definitely house shot tips. Hooking the plastic isn't recommended. It's a whole lot easier to throw it dead straight, and it completely takes the lane out of play. Something that is of up most importance on anything harder then a house patten.

Cow

Couldnt agree more!

Cow

My average when up about 30 pins when I learnt this! Takes a while to get used to but once you do, you don't have to think about it. It just happens.

I kept thinking of South Park when I listened to this.. "MmmK?"

Despite the method the message is important. Spares are usually the difference between going home with something or nothing.

I think what he fails to mention is of course angles... he mentioned the 2-8 sleeper. Yep you would not go head straight at it unless you are a pro... but I can bowl with a plastic ball straight but on the angle from the right, that gives me a few boards room to miss and still take out both pins. Same with the bucket. Same with spares on the right hand side (angle to the left).

What is also important which will improve your spares is you do not want to through it straight and with angle and with your normal release for spares on the right hand side for right handers. You want to throw a plastic ball at it with a bit of fade or back up on it, (just like norm duke there is videos on you tube with him saying this). That gives you even more room to miss and you will never chop the pins! Hard to do and I am still working on it but worth it! That also helps with big splits and sliding those pins over to make them.

Good tips though from the video, his point is right... spares are EVERYTHING!

I was taught that Spares are more than Half your game and that Strikes are a bonus.
Most bowlers I know throw the ball at spares slower than their strike ball as they know how important closed frames are.

Really good find John

Thanks.

I try to keep my strike and spare shot at the same speed. The worst mistake a bowler can make is speeding themselves up when going for a spare.
I use my spare ball for nearly every spare on the deck except for when there is a head pin. Its my most comfortable ball

Hi Bec,

As said in the video, the plastic will go straight, so no need to change the delivery from your first shot. Just play your shot normally. Change your shot if not throwing a spare ball.

Personally I try to keep all my deliveries the same even with my plastic spare ball but it is hard as my approach speed alters therfore alters my ball speed as well.
Still working with my coach on all this as I need to not use too much effort and need to stop driving the ball and let the swing be free.
I use my reactive for the sleeper spares and the bucket.
I was also taught the 3,6,9. spare system as well.

Cheers
Lyndon

I try to keep my strike and spare shot at the same speed. The worst mistake a bowler can make is speeding themselves up when going for a spare.
I use my spare ball for nearly every spare on the deck except for when there is a head pin. Its my most comfortable ball

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe someone should tell Fagan & Osku that. 45kms/hr at single pins.

:p:p:p:p:p

I think the word there on the +40kph spares is " kids, these guys are proffessionals, don't try this at home"

Kids, they are pros and bowl more games in a week than you do in 6 months to a year! If you bowled as much as them you could get good bowling at spares between your legs probably...does not mean you 'should'.....

ive found by flattening out my hand for spares, i gain alot more speed with no extra effort, i assume its simply from having no cupping action in my wrist. People tell me to slow down, and yes my feet to get ahead of me alot, i am not trying to throw it fast however.

How many times on TV have you seen them miss easy spares? I know i have seen it a lot!

Sure, are we going to simply say that they 'throw it too fast' or are we going to consider maybe they rush other aspects i.e feet too fast? balance at the foul line? Possibly the challenge of keeping adrenaline under control under such experience?
They made the TV appearance by having the 'fast spare shooting' game, i think it has something to to with the pressure and dealing with it.

Sean rash is an example, he simply said hes been trying to keep his tempo under control because hes been getting too fast under the lights.

I cannot understand why people would try throw it fast to be a hero, however i think theres more to it

Back
Top Bottom