trying to keep the juniors interested.

griggsy

Just wondering on anyone elses opinion on this, I was trying to think of ways to keep the younger juniors interested in the game and try to keep them pursuing it. I was just trying to get some people's thoughts on what we could try and do to encourage them to stay in the game? Any thoughts???
Well as part of my contribution I was thinking that for those that can use them I would give them some of my old equipment that was either too light or I didn't use anymore. Can anyone else out there give me some more ideas, and also lend a hand too if you can. Any help is much apreciated.
Thanks

thats a good idear jaayson. but what about game cost and tornie cost, also the attuide of some of the amf staff and even some of the top bowlers. some of these factors are pushing the younger bowlers out of the sport before not having the righ gear.

but after that there is the good od gyro if you find some one want to just learn to control hooking a ball for the first time.

Well I was thinking that the attitude of the staff and bowlers might change if we could successfully run things like this and show them that it is worth while. Because you hear all the time people complaining about the sport not being big enough, well this is the sort of thing that will help it grow. They always say the juniors of today are tomorrows seniors, well if we can't keep them interested in the game, who is going to eb the seniors of tomorrow??? Spoof this is to your dad if he wants to know about the coaching course going on in Tasmania get him to call Brett Riley on 0418300311, he will give your dad as much information as he has about the course, though the date has not yet been set.
Here is a thought, amf has that Bob the Coach thing running, why doesn't the centre try and run that in conjunction with this coaching/training day thing. If we can just get on successful day of it going, hopefully that will spark interest to have more of these days and keep the sport alive.

Jayson, here are my thoughts! I think the problem Juniors have, when leaving the ranks is that when they where very competitive and even maybe the best junior at the time, then they go into the senior ranks, where it takes around 195avg to make Rachuig, where as a junior it might only take u 175avg, so a lot of juniors become uninterested, for the fact they are not as dominant, and they have to work a lot harder on there game to be competitive,and a lot of juniors just say "fukit", and give it away, which is a shame
icon_sad.gif
, but i spose the positive of this is, that the juniors still bowling after leaving the ranks, are commited to there own game, and will work hard to make the next step!, which will help lift the standard of bowling here in Tasmania

Mark Foster

what attitudes from senior bowlers?

i dont have a problem with u little biaches especially when u fudge oit up to the pocket
icon_razz.gif

hehe jokes little men.. if you guys dont think u can match it with the guys then look at what ive done and think again....

in 96 i didnt make sheild.. i ****ed.. two years later i made rachuig and havent missed one since. ive come 2nd and 3rd in the past two state masters as well... just think if you start bowling with better bowlers around you.. you will pick your game up to their level.. it wont come in a flash but with a little time you'll match it
icon_smile.gif

there ya go ... if you have a passion for bowling then you will strive to better your game...

peace out

DJ Charles B

PoonTastic

Well, I would have quit as i wasn't enjoying it as i wasn't getting any better. Jayson has helped me out heaps with balls and with some practice sessions giving me tips, and showing me what to do and where to shoot and so on and so on. Now i'm improving and i'm enjoying it. One thing that i'm worried about with tournaments is the fact that i'll have no idea on what i'm doing! I'd have no idea on which lane to move to and so on. I'd be lost and yea. The money issue on tournies well if you wanna bowl you'll find the cash to do so. I also agree with Luko if you wanna be a good bowler you won't just say 'fukit' you'll stick around and want to improve and work hard to become a better bowler.

Thanks guys and thanks Jayson for your help

Luv Em

As iam a junior bowler i find it very frustrating, there is only one coach in my area(Hobart)to learn from, nobody else is qualified(not through lack of trying).
I want to get better so maybe one day make the shield team. Is anybody resposible for training in this state or will junior bowling not thrive but wither and die.
dad said he would like to coach but said nobody particularly amf wants to know.

Morning,

Spoof, What Jaayson said is right.
We will be running a level one course this year.
TBA have had to re-write the course to keep up with the Aus Sports Commission requirements.
This is ready to go as far as i know.
We are having a coaches get together with the new National Coaching Director at President's Shield in July.
After that i will set a date for a level one cousre.
It will be held in the area that we get the most interest from.
Everyone will get plenty of notice and information when a date is set.

As far as keeping juniors interested, i would like to hear some ideas.
A couple of years ago we held monthly coaching sessions in Launceston. These were for all juniors and were held between July and January. (after Shield up till the following years roll off)
These sessions started well with up to 30 bowlers but dropped away to the stage they were not worth running.
We also ran a junior tournament in Burnie and Devonport each year, aimed at the average bowler, but these also fell away due to lack of interest.
Area championships are not well attended by non Shield bowlers either.
So if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

brett, this is my whole reasoning behind this all is so that we can get the juniors bowling better, having more confidence in their abilities, so that in turn they will go into these tourns and state try outs etc. also by doing this i think it will bring the junior community closer together so that it would be easier for those juniors to get to tourns and that. To mark, well what i have been thinking with this idea is that if we start now and get these juniors in to some styles and working hard on them with them, they will improve with their skills and become better. and if there are lots of them that are bowling well they will soon get tired of bowling each other and try to find bigger and better challenges. this is what i am trying to encourage. I feel with these juniors is that they just need some support from the bigger and better bowlers to show them that there is help available and they dont have to slug away on their own all the time. I reckon we should try and get brett's idea going again if at all possible.hopefully people can see my point. please do write back with any opinions about this because i am really serious about putting in the hard work to get it going, i just need feed back, critisim and or support.
cheers all

Hey Jayson,
I'll help out if possible but I dont think that we will have much luck if the the attitudes of some of the "Adults" don't change. Why would you want to bowl when you have someone sitting there bagging your shot when they could be encouraging you and telling you where you are going wrong! I'm not saying all adults are like this just a few but that few may turn just one person away at a time but in time we will have no-one bowling in the juniors over here just like its starting to get like now. I just hope when i become an "Adult" bowler I don't turn out like the people i am talking about.

Katchya in Burnie man (??)
icon_cool.gif

thanks for your words dan, yeh i know what u mean,so this is why i am trying to run this sort of thing to get the juniors saying "stuff them we can get some where" sort of thing because i dont want to see this sport drop off the scene. so far i have talked to a couple of people down here and they are interested in trying to run something like this of a weekend, so it looks promising, but the problem is hobart is so far away. so we are trying to orginise something better, like brett said try and make it up in launceston again. What i really need out there from the adults is there help and support in trying to get this going, because they are always saying we need to try and promote the sport. to me this seems like a good start off point, i already know of about 10 kids that would be interested in this sort of thing because they want to get good and go some where with the sport. So if any one out there can help to get this off the ground, and to those that have any sort of equipment wether it be old shoes, bags or balls (plastic urethane or reactive) please email me about that and let me know. i feel if the juniors start getting their own equipment they might just start liking the game more because of the improved scores.
thanks all
cya in burnie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, ">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Game_On:
Hey Jayson,
I'll help out if possible but I dont think that we will have much luck if the the attitudes of some of the "Adults" don't change. Why would you want to bowl when you have someone sitting there bagging your shot when they could be encouraging you and telling you where you are going wrong! I'm not saying all adults are like this just a few but that few may turn just one person away at a time but in time we will have no-one bowling in the juniors over here just like its starting to get like now. I just hope when i become an "Adult" bowler I don't turn out like the people i am talking about.

Katchya in Burnie man (??)
icon_cool.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any Chance you would like to name these bowlers that you question??, so that maybe than can change there attitude for the betta of the game.

icon_smile.gif

sorry yeah i'll own up.. i bag them out whenever possible cuz i have inadequate revs on my shots so i have to bag them out to relieve tension..... that or go to bboy's mums place
icon_biggrin.gif

nah seriously i do give ya crap but its all jokes when it comes from me guys.. hope ya know that.. if ya dont ermm well s*ck it
icon_biggrin.gif

peace out

DJ Poonarama

Luko

Hahaha... I am sure they don't mind when it the bagging comes from you Adam, you are the easiest person I know to retaliate to!

Anyways Jays, I have been thinking over this like since we chatted the other day.

More knowledge and communication between centres could also be another thing to look at along with the other points mentioned so far in this post.

I know communication is sadly lacking a lot of time between areas and maybe if a newsletter or something was developed and distributed between centres informing juniors and others of upcoming events and what other people within the sport are up to, it might open their eyes a bit and also maybe their interest levels. Even just making them aware of state team practices for instance might encourage them to come in, take a look, and then leave with something to strive for. Let me know if you want me to look into getting something like this going or anything. I know it was mentioned by Anita once before in a post, but nothing eventuated. I think it would be important to cover a lot of aspects of the sport in the newsletters, and not just a sole focus on the juniors. Included could be articles on all the State teams, coaching tips, tournaments that are coming up, tournament results and bowler profiles.

Anyways, you know you have my support or help if you need it Jayson.

thank you kace it is much appreciated and yeh your/anita's idea sounds great i reckon we shuld try and get something like this going, because this could be the kind of thing that coudl actually help this sport along in tasmania and get some more interest again. to mark i for one have not seen many if at all adults with bad attitudes towards juniors, more often than not they are always there to help, i speak from experience because when i first started i knew no one but within a couple of weeks of bowling there were only too many people all willing to help me out with my game, and i thank all of the people too that have helped me through out the short time i have been bowling, i owe you all big time.
thanks all

Just like to say, to the certain adults that do bag out the juniors, I've seen it and i've heard the responses they have to it. Even if you are joking and even though they know that it puts them down. I was talking to one junior the other week and he was saying how he nearly broke down b'cos you were giving this certain junior so much crap. Give them a break, a little encouragement does go a long way. I've had a lot of encouragement from bowlers most of them juniors or older bowlers. So I think everyone should get behind them and encourage them. Tell them and congratulate them on a good game!

Luv Em

Just in defence of the "Older" bowlers mentioned, I think you will find most of the juniors dish it out as well as they get it... and I am mainly talking about the junior boys here
icon_biggrin.gif

I know personally how cheeky the little b*******s can be! So basically if any of the juniors have a problem and can't take it back, don't hand it out!!

Good call Kace.....There is nothing wrong with a bit of "fun"!!

If somebody wants to give me the needle, that's fine, I'll give it back!! lol

But seriously, I might hand out a bit to the juniors, but only the ones that I personally know. But, it is all in good fun!!

well as an update on this subject, thanks to a brilliant idea by kasey fechner we are getting together a bowling newsletter that is all about tasmanian bowling, and its bowlers. if you want more details about it ask kace she knows more than i do. as for the training days i am still working on getting some adult help with that, so if any one out there wants to help out please let me know.
thanks all

Mark,
If they don't know who they are already i pity them deeply
icon_wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom