Training habits

Crawf

Doin' the Mess Around!
Hey guys and girls. Just wondering what sort of training everyone does each week for their bowling? I would love to improve my game, so I was wondering how many games some of you bowl per week, and what other training you might do?

Hey Crawf, the dick ritger drills work wonders. im sure your centre would be able to get a hold of one of his videos for you to look at. the ritger drills will certainly help you to get consistency in your game. :)

hope this helps.

Crawf, The Dick Ritger drills are great. Really help ur game. I also do targeting for lengths of time and play different lines and angles. Just so you no wot u can and cant play. I play 10 games of league a week and 3 games training. Add in about 3 hours just for targeting and such.

Crawf

You may not be thinking correctly here Crawf. It is not how many games you might bowl per week but how you bowl the games you do bowl in a week.

Do you think about what you do in a game or not. I personally record each frame including pins left up and converted. After bowling I can tell from the scorecard and pin leaves how I was bowling either that night or during that event.

One should also never discount the value of a coach or another bowlers opinion of your game.

Having this information (scorecard with pin leaves) will give a coach (or yourself) a lot of insight into what needs to be addressed in your game even before they see you bowl.

A good coach will immediately be able to tell whether you are a left or right handed bowler without even seeing you bowl from the pin leaves.

As Coops posted you should also try to get the Dick Ritger drills tapes as they will give you some direction if you do not want to seek out a coach at this stage.

I know some of the pros definately record pin leaves and I think this can help you get started to improve your game. Hope this gives you some ideas.

As long as your game fits within the parameters of the Ritger drills, they will help.

Personally, I found them not to be so much of a help, it took me a week to get my armswing & timing back to how it should be.

hi potter hear well i train 3 hours a day al most and bowl every day well people think i am a freek but pracice makes perfact i watch the pros so mutch and that is were i got my shot from and just realy make a shot you like :D

well i liek to parctise once a week i try and bowl 4 to 5 games in that session. it helps alot. and i do use some of the rigter drills

I bowl 2 leagues a week......... at 2 different centres.
I also practice 2 times a week......... at another 2 different centres.

My practice sessions are always 2 hours+ starting off with Ritger drills.
Depending where u live in melbourne u may wanna give greensborough a ring n find out about their practice times coz their system allows u to set up whateva spares, or even full decks of pins, running through without scoring.

This has helped me soooooo much coz i don't sit there and worry bout what my scores are like! i just worry about trying to fix particular areas in my game that are giving me problems at times.

Playing at 4 different centres regularly has also helped me coz it has allowed me to get used to different conditions!

hope that helps!

i train 2 hours a day, 3 times a week and bowl league on friday nights.
overall i bowl about 50 games in a week.
the ritger drills work for me so i use some of them and i practise sparing 10 pins alot.
Just remember whenever you go into a tournament or even league make sure you stay process focused and dont become outcome focused cos when u can do that u will bowl better.
Thats what i started doing at the beginning of the year but it hasnt started working until a few weeks ago and in that time my average went from a 150 to the 174 it is now.

hay all,

i bowl 12 games a week for league but in each league i use it as a practise to get my shot right and try to learn the lanes within 3 frames.. i also do coaching with my coach an hour a week he is Paul Treloar, you's might not no him but he used to coach michael little when he was younger.. he has been saying that i am like michael's duplicate in my coaching and style kinda so yea.... plus i try and go down for practise a few times a week to study my shot, backswing and target and practise different pins...

well any ways cyas all later

We have Training Squad at Illawarra Strikezone every Friday. We do drills, shoot at 7 and 10 pins, find our strike line then play a few games. We also play other games like no tap sometimes. We have free practice on Wednesday's for league bowlers as well for an hour. :p

Hey everyone,
well, i bowl 11 games of league a week, plus about 10 games practice! so its pretty good altogether. I read someones post that said its not how many games u bowl, but how u bowl them and i dont belive that, it is how u bowl and how u analise, but also the amount of practice you do. Ive been bowling for 13 years and im 15. My dad is a level 1 coach and i only used to bowl a few games a week. But i know people that have had no coaching, but bowled 15 games a week in the first 2 years and they are pros now, so yeh...... just practice practice practice!!!! Hope it helps...

Cheers, Michelle

Call me crazy but I after watching several junior and youth bowlers bowl over the last 6 weeks, I can recommend one main thing to practise..............

SPARES

I've seen so many bowlers with so much great potential but sparing doesn't seem to be a priority. Yes you can throw scouts from hell and dice the rack at will but bowling 220 with 2 opens will not win you tournaments.

Spares please.............

You make a really good point there,
I know for a fact that I myself really need to work on spares, particularly the 10 pin....
I am getting there though, im gradually reducing the number of open frames I have in a game ( not that I had that many to start with lol )

Back
Top Bottom