The crappiest 300 game of 1968

Geoff, you are thinking of the AMF "Unimatic" oiler that was a "feature" of AMF centres. It was really the precursor (albeit a very ineffective precursor) to the spray machines available today ie Brunswick Authority22. It was a different machine entirely to the B90. couldn't lay an easy condition to save itself LOL

LOL Yep , thats the one

A bit different to when i oiled Hurstville with a spray Oil can, nappie and
buffer. Those buffer machines were hard to handle sometimes
Oh yes not to forget washing the lanes with hot soap and water and a mop
once a week
That was my job on a Sunday night as i was a casual
Oh my God how things have changed

BY buffer you mean floor buffer, like the ones we use to buff approaches?? Wow, props, that'd be very hard :/
Up until a few years ago we used to hand wash at Grafton, which added to the difficulty of the condition (very box-of-chocolates-like) by using towells, lane wash & a pushing contraption.

BY buffer you mean floor buffer, like the ones we use to buff approaches?? Wow, props, that'd be very hard :/
Up until a few years ago we used to hand wash at Grafton, which added to the difficulty of the condition (very box-of-chocolates-like) by using towells, lane wash & a pushing contraption.

Sounds like a "Key" it was a revolution in lane stripping in the 80's. As a result the need for rotary buffers to do lane stripping. The downfall of that contraption was that it required a lot of physical effort and by the end of the house, the effort was beginning to tell and the stripping was less than perfect.

Yes that is it, the floor buffer they use for approaches, and they were
less civil than the new ones today
You were stuffed by the time you got to the last lane

We used them to screen the lanes prior to re coat of laquer as well,
now that was fun

Doing re coats at night off your face from the laquer was fun toooooo !!!!

Ahhh the good old days LOL

Sounds like a "Key" it was a revolution in lane stripping in the 80's. As a result the need for rotary buffers to do lane stripping. The downfall of that contraption was that it required a lot of physical effort and by the end of the house, the effort was beginning to tell and the stripping was less than perfect.

Not if you had Peter Stott, Sascha Radakovic or Billy Gardiner pushing the sucker along! God, Billy could almost push the urethane off the lane with a Brunswick Key!

I remember the Unimatic machines too. Every house that had one was a reverse block! Not that that was a too bad a thing with rubber and plastic balls, as they just didn't read the friction hard like today's dynamite. Rockdale was a classic crown oil. You could actually play straight up 2 board if you chose to, so there was more oil on the edge than we see today in most houses. You would see people scoring from all parts of the lane, which is pretty uncommon today. Mind you, "scoring" meant averaging over 200 while making your spares! We call that tough today.

One thing I won't forget was Brenton's burnt orange pants. he liked to wear them with a purple shirt, if I remember correctly! (Or was it the other way around..?) A sight to behold, to be sure.

Not if you had Peter Stott, Sascha Radakovic or Billy Gardiner pushing the sucker along! God, Billy could almost push the urethane off the lane with a Brunswick Key!

I remember the Unimatic machines too. Every house that had one was a reverse block! Not that that was a too bad a thing with rubber and plastic balls, as they just didn't read the friction hard like today's dynamite. Rockdale was a classic crown oil. You could actually play straight up 2 board if you chose to, so there was more oil on the edge than we see today in most houses. You would see people scoring from all parts of the lane, which is pretty uncommon today. Mind you, "scoring" meant averaging over 200 while making your spares! We call that tough today.

One thing I won't forget was Brenton's burnt orange pants. he liked to wear them with a purple shirt, if I remember correctly! (Or was it the other way around..?) A sight to behold, to be sure.

Oh my God! Animal!!!

The only guy I ever met who could crank a full roller!! TRUE!!! He was one of a kind (or won in a raffle! not sure which). Is he still alive?

The orange pants were worn with a bright red, orange and yellow golf shirt, never owned a purple shirt 'til many years later LOL

Ah, good. That's much better then.

Animal... Last I heard he was holding up a bridge pylon somewhere. Owed the wrong people money. But then again, bowler's love a good story.

Ah, good. That's much better then.

Animal... Last I heard he was holding up a bridge pylon somewhere. Owed the wrong people money. But then again, bowler's love a good story.

That would not surprise me in the least. There were a few characters of......ummmmm......questionable character! Only needed Ron Spiteri to bowl there regularly to complete the infamy, LOL

I agree Jason definitely the best bowling centre ... and yes Clive was not one to mess with but a very nice man indeed.

Back
Top Bottom