The crappiest 300 game of 1968

Re: The crappiest 30 game of 1968

Funny stuff!!!

I think after the dog left his deposit, the counter girls mistakes, I would have followed the dogs example as I'm up for the 12th shot...

Well I was in attendance, at Rockdale, the night Ken Green bowled that 300 and it went very much the way the paper reported. The dog, the announcement etc..

The excitment was real real and genuine....probably because way back in 1968 when a bowler produced a perfect game it really meant something.

The crappiest 300....I dont think so!

Wow! I bowled league and worked in the pro shop at Rockdale for years. I knew every inch of that joint and had never heard that story! Rockdale still remains firmly in my mind (and many others) as Australia's best ever bowling centre.

Solid gold! Thanks Wayne!

Jason, Jason, Jason!?!?!?!?!?!

How could you not have heard that story? When i first walked into rockdale Bowl in 1979 it was about the 3rd thing I was told about the old place and that story remained until I left Sydney in 1985.

Word has it (and this part is speculation) that the dog was Clive Stewarts old dog who spent as much time at the bowl as Clive did, which was only marginally less time than I spent there. Andy McKay can confirm the event.

Jason, Jason, Jason!?!?!?!?!?!

How could you not have heard that story? When i first walked into rockdale Bowl in 1979 it was about the 3rd thing I was told about the old place and that story remained until I left Sydney in 1985.

Word has it (and this part is speculation) that the dog was Clive Stewarts old dog who spent as much time at the bowl as Clive did, which was only marginally less time than I spent there. Andy McKay can confirm the event.

Quite right, I bowled there and Hurstville mostly from 1969
Clive Stewart was not a man to mess with, let alone his dog !!!

Quite right, I bowled there and Hurstville mostly from 1969
Clive Stewart was not a man to mess with, let alone his dog !!!

That is true too.

Clive was the Australian Heavyweight Boxing Champion in, I believe, the 60's. Had massive hands, always had 2 Manhattan Rubbers on the rack and the deepest knee bend I ever saw in a male bowler. His dog was blind in one eye and wandered around the place like he owned it LOL.

Memories

Even funnier, then! Considering I was born in 1968, it's no surprise I didn't know about it! I knew Clive. A real gentleman, unless he was thumping you!

That is true too.

Clive was the Australian Heavyweight Boxing Champion in, I believe, the 60's. Had massive hands, always had 2 Manhattan Rubbers on the rack and the deepest knee bend I ever saw in a male bowler. His dog was blind in one eye and wandered around the place like he owned it LOL.

Memories

What was also funny about him was he used a hose to cut finger grips
out of for his ball

He ended up owning 7 Manhatten rubber balls all at once

He was heavy weight boxing champ
Sadly he was a bit punch drunk

A nicer bloke you couldnt meet , he used to run the
security at Rockdale just by looking at people that played up
and the car park didnt need lights for security when he was there

I did quite a bit of bowling with Clive , he was a nice bloke

Even funnier, then! Considering I was born in 1968, it's no surprise I didn't know about it! I knew Clive. A real gentleman, unless he was thumping you!

Jason,

Clive never thumped anyone that didnt have it comming

In fact out of the ring he was very placid

Absolutely. You'd have to push Clive pretty damned hard to get him going. One of the great characters of Rockdale. There were some real beauties too. I was one of the lesser ratbags running around in that place! It was a real hoot to be there and Rockdale had the best lanes in Sydney, possibly Australia until they stopped oiling outside 10 at the advice of some of their lesser "better" players. :)

Absolutely. You'd have to push Clive pretty damned hard to get him going. One of the great characters of Rockdale. There were some real beauties too. I was one of the lesser ratbags running around in that place! It was a real hoot to be there and Rockdale had the best lanes in Sydney, possibly Australia until they stopped oiling outside 10 at the advice of some of their lesser "better" players. :)

You mean as opposed to not oiling outside 5 board. Suffice it to say it was Sydneys highest scoring centre for many years and one of the first centres to use "Astrolane" urethane lane coating as opposed to lacquer.

There were certainly some characters that worked and bowled there, and Clive was a mountain amongst them, both literally and figuratively speaking, I still recall the old days of the pot games at midnight on a friday night where a certain poster on here (I think!) used to get rid of the social players before 20 or so of Sydneys, wollongongs and Newcastles best would turn up. Back in those days you could win a months pay if you were good enough to beat the rest of the field. Certainly taught me a lot about competing with the best.

Oiling of lanes was somewhat less complicated, back then, than these days. They just dumped a few nappies, or towls, in a bucket of oil and then dragged them down the lane with an impliment that resembled a broom.

They later went up market and used a hand held spray gun...and yet Rockdale (as has been said before in this thread) was just about the highest scoring and enjoyable house to bowl in.

Oiling of lanes was somewhat less complicated, back then, than these days. They just dumped a few nappies, or towls, in a bucket of oil and then dragged them down the lane with an impliment that resembled a broom.

They later went up market and used a hand held spray gun...and yet Rockdale (as has been said before in this thread) was just about the highest scoring and enjoyable house to bowl in.

When I first went to Rockdale in late 1979, they had a Brunswick B90 oiler with cut brushes 5 board and out soit put out very little oil on the outside 5 boards. About the only places that matched it in those days were Woodville and Clayfield. They also stripped the lanes ONCE A WEEK!!, which was unheard of in those days, unlike once a month (whether they needed it or not LOL) in lacquer centres.

When I first went to Rockdale in late 1979, they had a Brunswick B90 oiler with cut brushes 5 board and out soit put out very little oil on the outside 5 boards. About the only places that matched it in those days were Woodville and Clayfield. They also stripped the lanes ONCE A WEEK!!, which was unheard of in those days, unlike once a month (whether they needed it or not LOL) in lacquer centres.

It was funny to watch that old machine go down the lanes
It left a haze spray all around it !!!!

I grew up down there and Hurstville Bowl with Brian Morton, Rick Watson, Gary Kee and Fred Allsopp

Clive was a friend of mine for many years

Great days !!!!

It was funny to watch that old machine go down the lanes
It left a haze spray all around it !!!!

I grew up down there and Hurstville Bowl with Brian Morton, Rick Watson, Gary Kee and Fred Allsopp

Clive was a friend of mine for many years

Great days !!!!

Geoff, you are thinking of the AMF "Unimatic" oiler that was a "feature" of AMF centres. It was really the precursor (albeit a very ineffective precursor) to the spray machines available today ie Brunswick Authority22. It was a different machine entirely to the B90. couldn't lay an easy condition to save itself LOL

Back
Top Bottom