Tenpin Bowling is in TOP 20 sports in Australia on tv's RICH LIST...

ms

is retired...
Hey all,

did anyone watch the Rich List on channel 7 last night?

apparently we are in the Top 20 sports in australia... but yet arent even considered for the olympics..

the other sports included in this list are;

netball
soccer
afl
tennis
cricket
swimming
basketball
athletics
rugby league
golf
bushwalking...???
cycling
fishing
gym workout
jobbing/fun runs
rugby union
snooker/pool/billiards
snow skiing &
surfing.

what does everyone else think of this?

apparently 'sweeneys research' is where they get their information, but maybe they should actually survey people in australia or sports people..

just thought i would share as i found this very interesting..

cheers guys!
martina

Martina you beat me to it damn hehe but yes it's good to see where in the top 20 sports in Australia.
the other sport i play isn't even there and thats hockey which strange cause you have bushwalking and fishing in there.

Chris

sorry chris :)

i was heaps surprised to see tenpin bowling in the 20.. i would have thought hockey woulda been there coz its an olympic sport..

and i was shocked that lawn bowls wasnt in there either..

an amazing list..

cheers
marty

Does anyone know exactly how these sports are ranked in regards to their richness?
I don't understand how they have ranked the sports, what was their base of comparison?

Later Da Cowman!

haha Bushwalking.... can u tell me if there is a way u can "compete" in bushwalking? Most kms walked? fastest time walked? number of trees climbed during walk? number of times tripped over? number of times you tripped someone else over?
j/k
R

So it was the top 20 highest participation sports in the country? Not the top 20 richest sports in the country... Sorry, I have only watched the show once and didn't quite understand how they got those results for Richness.
But it all makes sense now.

Later Da Cowman!

Tenpin is played by: all genders, ages, all levels of physical abilities and in good or bad weather, any day of the week. After tenpin there is only sleeping.
Leanne.

The 6th highest participation sport in Australia. The sport is still struggling, what does that tell you.

WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING QUICKLY!

Rugby League only 19th??? :confused: :mad:
Where is this research body located? America?

Its not whats popular, its what people have particpated in the last 12 months. I don't know about you but I haven't played ruby league since under 10's, but I watch it when ever I get the chance.

That's why ten pin bowling is in the 10 ten, it counts all the social bowlers as well. If it was only league bowlers I don't think it would be in the top 20.

Paul

That's why ten pin bowling is in the 10 ten, it counts all the social bowlers as well. If it was only league bowlers I don't think it would be in the top 20.

Paul

Yeah it tends to skew the figures because they record all games bowled in a centre, whether that's someone just having some fun or bowling a tournament. When I go down to the park and play a game of footy they don't record it. But what it does show is that there are still plenty of people willing to go bowling, so it's something we can build on to hopefully bring more league players back and hence improve tournament numbers as well.

I didnt see The Rich List last week as I was away in NZ, bowling in a tournament. I would have been very happy though to see that occasionally ten pin bowling is regarded as a sport in some media circles.
Since returning from my "holiday" many of my workmates have asked me if I had a good time, and when I start talking about bowling, and Nationals, and how great participation in a teams event is, many of them are genuinely interested in our sport, and they say they didnt know it was so competitive.
I have been hearing this for the past 20 years - still wondering how to get our sport taken seriously though. I have tried getting results for both league and tournaments into the newspapers, we always seem to get "squeezed out" after a couple of months.
No wonder it is so hard to get serious sponsorship when we cannot guarantee our sponsors some sort of return for their money by way of newspaper coverage and a name mention. Tenpin bowling is played in a great many countries, while some Olympic sports are only played in a few countries.:confused:

Back
Top Bottom