Tenpin Bowling Australia Use of Social Media Policy

jimcross

I think it would be a good idea, if members of this forum had a read of this very recent addition to TBA Rules and Regulations. Indeed it would have been a nice gesture had TBA taken steps to make it's general membership aware of it.

It is a reasonable length document, and the following is but a small portion of it towards the end.

I'm assuming that elsewhare in the constitution / rules, there are procedures to be followed by TBA to ensure, among other things, that penalties are not imposed upon members without proper procedures ensuring rights of appeal and natural justice, and so on, as the document does appear to have had some legal input in it's preparation.

8. Breach of Policy
8.1 Tenpin Bowling Australia and its affiliated state and local association continually monitor online activity in relation to the organisations and its members. Detected breaches of this policy should be reported to Tenpin Bowling Australia.
8.2 If detected, a breach of this policy may result in disciplinary action from Tenpin Bowling Australia. A breach of this policy may also amount to breaches of other Tenpin Bowling Australia policies. This may involve a verbal or written warning or in serious cases, termination of employment or engagement with Tenpin Bowling Australia including suspension of membership..
9. Consultation or Advice
This policy has been developed to provide guidance for the members and staff in a new area of social interaction. Tenpin Bowling Australia members and staff who are unsure of their rights, liabilities or actions online and seek clarification, should contact Tenpin Bowling Australia

Jim

This policy has been in preparation for 6 -12 months

There is a clear procedure for anyone to follow should they have a problem
with how they are treated in relation to any decision made by the TBA at any level

Cheers
Geoff

Yes Geoff,
I just think people should inform themselves about it, so that they do not inadvertantly breach it, and as penalties could result, and it is new, then TBA, in my view, should have taken reasonable steps to advise their membership.

On your second point, I said that I assumed that procedures providing fairness were in place, especially as I wrote the first draft of the TBA originally registered constitution / rules, and they were certainly there then.

I just want people to be aware. It's a pretty new and sometimes strange, and still developing, area of the law. I even notice that 'copyright' is referred to at one point. By chance, I have a copy of the Copyright Act in front of me. It would have to be one of the weirdest pieces of legislation I've ever worked with.

Jim

Sporting bodies have rules, councils have ordinances, states have laws, as do nations. Generally they are in the reverse order of importance to what I have listed, i.e. my list goes from the bottom-up, authority-wise.

I'm sure it's preferable to settle these things internally before resorting to lawyers and officers of the Court. There are laws in place in various stages of evolution around the country. Cyber-bullying is one issue that had recent media exposure and not before time. People need to know that they can't go around libelling, harassing or bullying others without consequence.

Also remember that words are about 15% of communication and therefore a woefully inadequate medium by themselves, especially in the sometimes precarious minefield of social interaction. There's no body language, vocal inflection, eye signals, or even decent spelling in most Internet communication! It's one step above the execrable acronym and shorthand filled text message. Re-read everything you write before you commit it to posterity on some remote server in a locked room.

The Internet is a recorded medium. Work on the common law rule of thumb of "Don't say anything you wouldn't put in writing." And ignorance of the law is no defence.

So address the issues by all means, but beware of attacking the person, as that has consequences.

Cheers,
Jason

I've just carefully read my posts on this. From some of the responses, I am inclined to assume that I must be speaking some different version of english.

Apologies to TBA. I've just been into the archives on TBA site. The "Social Media Policy" and "Member Protection Policy", were added on 2 nd. Feb, and were on the TBA " News Items" on the 3rd Feb.

I just plain missed them.

Jim.

Back
Top Bottom