Ten Minutes with Belmo

Jase

Admin
Staff member
TB So of all the sports you could have done as a youngster, why Tenpin Bowling?

JB My parents happen to of built a bowling centre when i was born. The bowl was a 2nd home to me. Instead of going to play dates i was given a pair of shoes and a ball and told "Go have fun Jase, keep out of mummy and daddy's hair ok). So i guess i was feed bowling since i was 2 and that was the sport i chose to love. Although sometimes i wish dad had of built a tennis court or a golf course :)

TB What was your first game as a youngster?

JB I can’t remember really. I was 18 months old when i bowled my first game. We didn’t have bumpers in 1983 so I’m guessing my first few games were 0. I probably kicked a few ball returns at frustration back then too :)

TB How long was it before you realised you were special and had a real talent for the sport.

JB Ill let you know when i realise it!

TB Some people really have to work at bowling to become talented junior players and others seem to be born with good hand eye coordination which do you think you were?

JB I was the 2nd option. I guess bowling was never an effort for me, i did it since i could walk and like all things if you start doing them at the age of 18 months, you get ok at it when you get older.
If you start doing something as soon as you start to walk, and you love what it is your doing, you will be great at it.....that’s what i think....ask Tiger Woods and Rodger Federer!

TB Which was the first tournament you won?

JB 1987 the Foundation 41 Doubles tournament. I was 4 years old and i played with Peter Brown, a local hero of mine. It was handicapped and we won the event. From what i can remember i carried him all day too :)

TB Do you still get the same buzz winning an event as you did when in junior bowling?

JB Do I!!!!!!!!!!!!
It’s only the greatest feeling in the world. Every time i win a medal or a trophy or shoot 300 my heart races a million miles an hour. I guess that’s why i get so cranky when i loose. It like a drug winning..... I NEED ANOTHER HIT every event! :)

TB Now you are a top Australian player and one people keep their eye on in events, does the pressure of being who you are to some people affect you in any way.

JB Never.... I try to act the way i am on the lanes as i do on when I'm off them. I always have time for anyone. No matter what you need or want to ask, ask me and ill give you an honest answer!

TB It’s not known too much but you do a lot within tenpin bowling to help raise the profile of the sport and you also coach beginners. Is coaching something you think you will do more of in the future.

JB Honestly i am an awful coach when it comes to technique. I am much better with helping with ball reaction and ball surface rather than tell someone their 3 step is late :) Coaching for me is something i might want to get into when I’m 72, a year after my bowling career is over :)

TB What tournament do you still want to win the most?

JB The All Event GOLD at the World Championships

TB
Having played at the highest levels already do you have ambition’s to take it further say maybe the USA Professional bowlers tour or PBA as its known in America.

JB My whole career i have taken each step in baby steps. The PBA is not right for me right now; i am learning so much bowling in Asia and in Europe that i don’t want to leave those environments till I’m ready. The PBA is a hard move.
It is extremely hard to leave your family and friends to live and bowl in a country for most of the year without ever been able to come home and have a home cooked meal, or enjoy time with everyone you care about. But maybe when I’m older and the decision to try the PBA is clearer, then ill go.

TB Would you consider being shrunk into a mobile phone game or a next generation online game?

JB As long as i could get out when I’m ready :)..........OF course i would consider it. To be a star in any kind of video game would be amazing, i would jump at that chance in a heart beat.

TB An idea is to have a Pro celebrity Bowler showdown on TV to raise the profile of tenpin bowling and to make Australians aware that we are world leaders in the sport. Who if you had a choice would you love to bowl with?

JB Perhaps Shane Warne....bet i could turn the ball more than he does :)

TB You are a very handsome Man ever thought of a bit of modeling?

JB Jase, I am planned to be married late next year, this is not the time or place to hit on me

TB Besides bowling what did you want to be when you were growing up?

JB A "B" Grade movie director. That would be the best fun in the world.

TB What do you do outside the sport for fun?
JB I love to play other sport. Golf, tennis, and squash...really anything that has a ball in it i love to do.

TB If you were to tell anyone why should they tenpin bowl what would you say?

JB The ball comes back!!!!!!!!!!!! and the opportunities the sport has is endless.
I have seen parts of the world i never heard about because of bowling.

TB The sports given you some good friends and let you travel the world, would you say it’s been worth it?

JB I have had to miss alot of important occasions in life due to bowling, but if i the chance to do it all over, i would change a thing!

TB What would be the highlight of your career to date?

JB Perhaps shooting 300 on TV at the world Masters in England or being named the World Bowler of the year when i was 21.

TB Boxes or briefs or free for all...

JB
Silk Boxers all day!!!!!!

TB Who has been your driving force in your career

JB
When i was a little fellow, my parents were there for me every step of the way and still are but in the last 6 years my fiancé has really pushed me to be the best i can in the sport. I am so grateful to be able to call Kimberly my own. Not many girls would have understood and accepted how much traveling i do, but she not only understands and accepts it, she is the first person to help book a flight somewhere.
Mum, Dad and Kimberly i owe it all to you guys!

TB Thanks for talking to us, next time we do this it will be in the USA in your Hotel room traveling across America on the pro tour we hope. Watch out for Totalbowlings’ next interview

JB Cheers mate...anytime you need anything you let me know

Belmo

Back
Top Bottom