Televised Games

Would you invest time and/or money to build a larger profile for tenpin?

• Yes

Votes: 80 56.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Time Only

Votes: 40 28.4%
  • Money Only

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Watch Televised matches

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Willing to help in production of televised matches (if necessary)

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • albatross (had to do it - [url]http://www.slashnot.com/poll.php3[/url] - all but the latest poll)

Votes: 4 2.8%

• Total voters
bitchy lil brunette said:
why is it that when people bowl 300's they get their name in the paper? and a photo and stuff. Like sure it is an awesome achievment to do it but not many people are actually interested in bowling!

Just the kind of attitude we don't need. Support the bowlers, support the game. If Lawn Bowls and Golf can make it, so can bowling.

Later Da Cowman!

bitchy lil brunette said:
why is it that when people bowl 300's they get their name in the paper? and a photo and stuff. Like sure it is an awesome achievment to do it but not many people are actually interested in bowling!

You would be surprised at the amount of people in Australa alone who would say that you're wrong. I'm one of them. You always see sports like football, soccer, golf, etc. in the newspapers for different things. Bowling doesn't get a lot of limelight, and I think it deserves every bit of it that it gets these days. Bowling in the limelight also shows people who may not have known just how hard it can really be to achieve some of the things bowlers have, whether it be something like a 300 game, a tournament win, or even the World Champion. You never know what it might be. Bowling is continuing to surprise and excite people, and should do for MANY years more. If a sport can do that, then why shouldnt it be recognised. Bowling deserves the attention it is getting right now, plus a lot more.

Bubyee

Rowey :p

I happened to stumble upon the World Hot-Dog Eating Championships on ESPN last night.
Surely to christ, if this dribble can get an hour of exposure on ESPN then bowling can make some sort of inroads?
I watch 9-ball pool and darts on Fox1, and they aren't "mainstream sports" either but get a good run, and get good exposure from it.

I too stumbled across the World hot dog eating champs last night and had the same reaction. It seems every time I turn to ESPN there's another "obscure sport" being show-cased. I can't remember the last time I saw bowling on ESPN, probably when the WPBA was still running.

Graeme

I think you guys are all definitely on the right track. Bowling is crying out for some decent media exposure in this nation. Down here in Victoria, the Herald Sun will once in a blue moon put the results in the sports results page, but that's only for a real major tournament. The Geelong Advertiser, however, posts some local league (mostly juniors) results probably twice weekly, which is good. Also, if something significant happens at Geelong, they do generally put it on the back page, an example of which was a couple months ago when Anthony Flynn threw an Australian record 887. I absolutely think there is room for a free-to-air channel to cover bowling, most likely in the summer non-ratings period. In the final years of the Coca-Cola Classic, they had the bowlers bowling scotch doubles. I prefer the old formula, where scores count and you have two or more bowling gladiators going head-to-head. We need to get this back on free-to-air and as soon as possible. Fingers crossed it happens soon. I do believe it can attract a reasonable audience, because a fair portion of the population bowl on at least a weekly basis, so the interest is there. We'll see what happens, I'll certainly be following any developments keenly,

Cheers, AJ.

We are all bowling fans and the passion about our sport is apparent by the responses - The sad fact is that the tedious job of the first step is the thankless ones - like continually submitting the leagues results - delegating someone to do the write up and many times submitting these things without any recognition of them having been received.

This is how to get Newspaper coverage - eventually they need something to fill in a space on one day - someday. If every league secretary? did this - if every centre covered all the events and gave information to the paper - include a digital photo - (they love the pictures).

I loved the article from Bundaberg - how well written is that - interesting and had a human content considering the two friends and the result of the competition possibly tainting their friendship - great angle.

Other sports counter their problems by first recognising the problem - lack of media support and then having every tier - player, club, centre, zone, state submit something regularly - how much ground would we cover in 162 centres and with over 300 events if we advertise just two a year for each centre - not including how many leagues each centre has?

Regional areas will have the greater success as the competition from other sports will not be as intense - local newspapers want someone to submit something.

It would be interesting to see how many people in each centre are appointed to submit articles for our sport????????

Whose responsibility is it? I think it is ours and everyones?

Who can write well? Who has the time? Who will give these persons information about articles? Who do you know to send the information to?
When is the best time to submit articles? weekday or weekend? Do you know someone who knows someone? Which part of this team are you?

Try during the next 6 month - report to total bowling how many submissions we can deliver from your centre? cover local, junior, adult, senior comps - with photos. Send to local papers. See what sort of strike rate (no pun intended!!!) we can produce by everycentre submitting something? One a year is one more than we had!

No magic answer - if it has to be - it is up to me/us!

Best wishes
Gail Torrens

Very interesting topic as I have just been persuaded to become Media Officer of our local association and I don't envisage this will be an easy job. I agree whole-heartedly that something needs to be done, just to promote Ten Pin bowling as a sport, as opposed to a social outing like the movies, would be a great step in the right direction. Is that where our problem lies? I mean to say you don't see advertised, "Come have fun, have a social game of AFL!" Just a thought....! It will be an uphill battle here as our centre is highly focused on social bowling. I know where I'll come if I need advice/ideas/suggestions....right here!

Ice, some suggestions for you.
Firstly let me say that progress may be slow, and you may find that you have to do most of the legwork on your own. But if you start in the local area then you should be able to make some headway towards enhancing the image of tenpin bowling.
Start by putting your league results in the local newspapers, then maybe look at publishing the results of the major tournaments that take place in the NQ region. I think your local newspaper would be appreciative of such input. At the moment most of the general population would have no idea that such tournaments such as the Cairns Open and the NQ Intercity Shield even exist, so any exposure the sport can get in the local press must be beneficial.

Another possible avenue may be to get your local commitee to look at some mercantile comps, short duration events , run say over four to six weeks. Many organisations use events such as these as team building exercises, and there could well be some competitiors who will want to become involved on a regular basis.
Tenpin bowling as a sport can only benefit as a result.

DEN

There was bowling on fox sports 2 . the other day , i missed it "was working" i looked on the " on-line" foxtel TV guide but i couldn't find when it is going to be "repeated" or if they will be showing any more...???? does anyone know...??

wat i just throught of as well, well when i tell everybody wat sport i play (to non league bowlers) and when i say tenpin bowling, they look at me funny and like why do u play tenpin, i tell them y, but wat am saying, ppl dont really look at bowling the same way as league bowlers do, and thats y am sure, is put on tv at 12am cause most ppl will not b like pfft is tenpin bowling change the channel if is on at 2pm, but thats wat i think anyway, i maybe wrong

How about "Totalbowling Strikepass"? ;)

If you've ever seen the matchplay of tournaments on PBA Strikepass (which is awesome) all you need are 4 webcams, lots of bandwidth, and 2 commentators.

Hey G... You got enough bandwidth for this? :lol: I just have to work on my commentating skills.... to make them at least PG rated.

strikepass??
can you explain what that is? if it is not too lengthy/not too technical/ have the time!

THNX

Does anyone know how to record or save the stream coming from there?

Ive been thinking about joining strike pass for awhile now. Can someone that has it let me know wat the quality and resolution is like?

chears

Quality is ok... not dvd quality, but easy to watch.

Best money I have spent in a long time

Back
Top Bottom