Televised Games

Would you invest time and/or money to build a larger profile for tenpin?

• Yes

Votes: 80 56.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Time Only

Votes: 40 28.4%
  • Money Only

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Watch Televised matches

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Willing to help in production of televised matches (if necessary)

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • albatross (had to do it - [url]http://www.slashnot.com/poll.php3[/url] - all but the latest poll)

Votes: 4 2.8%

• Total voters
LOL *'TOPHER*, I wouldn't recommend it if it didn't work :D

Try to spend some time looking into screen capture tools as well.

Imagine bowling in a baseball arena with 4 lanes set up in the middle of the park - AMAZING!

Ev said:
LOL *'TOPHER*, I wouldn't recommend it if it didn't work :D

Try to spend some time looking into screen capture tools as well.

Imagine bowling in a baseball arena with 4 lanes set up in the middle of the park - AMAZING!

Well it wouldnt be the first time ppl have sugested things that didnt work on here. thanks

What about a tournament that has a step ladder final. The tournament then moves that step ladder final to some form indoor stadium, and charge a couple of bucks for entry.

Would need to have a someone willing to provide a set of 4 or even 8 lanes to set up, and the have something like top 5 or even go all out and make it top 10, best of 3 head to head. Have couple of big screens with the scores, and all the seating behind, and half way down the lanes. Could be a great spectacle.

As an example Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne would be somewhere you could hold it. Set up 8 lanes, run a Mens & Ladies event at the same time side by side.

You would need some pretty good sponsors, TV coverage if possible, Internet coverage and a great Prizefund to make it Interesting, but could bring the sport into a higher profile to hold in a spectator friendly environment, rather than at a bowl, which is sometimes very unfriendly to spectators in the way of seating, able to see whats going on, scoreboards and the likes.

Fantastic idea Lance.

I had previously looked at the cost of setting up "mobile" bowling lanes, but the cost to make, and transport them was way too prohibitive, considering the space and weight required for transporting a full length bowling lane.

I love the idea of a tournament at Rod Laver Arena, am sure there would be a long list of bowlers that would bowl in something like this. Just would need some sponsorship!! Perhaps there would be a chance to get some PBA chaps to bowl in it, and get some ESPN coverage.

Maybe Australia could get the World Cup, and could hold the finals in such an arena!!

its a good idea but i think there would be a riot from the bowling community if you charged family members and even bowlers who participated (but didnt make the cut) in the event an entry fee.

How much would it cost to hire out a massive venue like that though?

Have not got a clue on the charges to hire the venue. Honestly it would be fantastic, and those not competing in the final would have to pay to ensure the costs were covered. Part and parcell of an event like this.

I know that a number of the events overseas charge from time to time for spectators, and l am sure that you could make it a good price, not like the tennis or concerts. Would be good to say like $20.00 per person, but that would be off the top of my head without any checking into it all.

Vaughnn,

What were the costs like. I know speaking to a couple of people about the costs involved in setting up a centre was the ball park figure of $20k per lane, plus building & land & cafe and stuff like that.

The problem l see is the transport, as the stuff would be a pain to pull apart, back to the delivery stage, you would prefer to go something like back to the lane length, then have the approach, and machines as seperate parts. This would still be very hard.

Who knows you could then put it into shopping centres as a promotional tool, or even hold stepladder finals that way. Would need a large shopping centre though.

the shopping centre idea sounds fantastic, like how they do the world masters. would it be that hard to get in contact with the people who hold this event? there would ahve to be a way of contacting them via the internet or something wouldnt there? maybe that could give us a leg up on the idea of how much you would be looking at to do something like this.
its a step forward in the right direction i think

Would not be that hard to send them an e-mail. The main costs would be the following, if you used the 1 lane format.

1 Lane - Ball return, approach, actual lane, Pin Machine
Stadium Seating - Grandstand
Screens
Lighting

Would be approx $40k to set up. The cost would be transport, shopping centre fees, prizemoney.

Should be able to be done, but then you have to find someone willing to fork out the $40k to set it up.

No probs will just open the wallet.........oh well ther goes my moth l was saving :p

yeh granted the money side of things is going to be difficult to come up with but it cant hurt to do some research on it and see what your looking at. i mean if it has already been done in england, then surely it can be done here.
like think about it, whoevere proposed this idea first to the sponsors had to of been called a lunatic and probably got slammed for it. well now look at it, sponsored by some huge names like poker million etc. all it needs it to be proposed to the right person and things might start moving.

OK.

I have sent Matchroom Sport an e-mail to ask them if they could please provide myself with anything at all, around how they approached the concept, and the assiatnce they may have required.

I have also asked them if they could provide any other details that may assist in creating the same type of event here or even if they would consider putting on this type of event within Australia.

Basically l asked them help with the concept, and to give us everything they would be willing to provide around the events.

Griggsy,

have you had a response tour e-mail yet?

I haven't. Perhaps they are not willing to assist us.... :p

no response either my friend. quite the shame really. looks like ive got to annoy other people then for information

in bundabergs newspaper there are just about all the leagues stats. i reckon its great but more people should be introduced to bowling as a sport to play regulary and to have a keen interest in it first

Hi Jamie,
I did not know this thread existed! Its so old 2005, but a lot of people back then were chasing a dream.
A dream to get Tenpin Bowling the exposure it needs and so rightly deserves. It is sport, not as big as football etc but even the main line sports get a little boring sometimes especially with all the politics and fighting that end up in the public eye. It was interesting to read about the sponsors perspective.
It goes in a circle - Get the sponsors some recognition through advertising and support for bowling in Australia will grow, and grow and grow.
It seems crazy that Jason Belmonte, a person with so much to offer had to go to Europe to get an appearance on TV.
Well not any longer! No Sir!
I once again publicly thank NOEL AMBLER from the ABPA, a million times over, for saving the Tenpin Bowling Show from what would have been a certain closure.
Thanks Jamie for alerting me to this thread of 2005. It made riverting reading.
Perhaps Bowling is finally starting to be highly recognized in this country.....
Once again this forum is full of great ideas and better bowlers.
Tony.
Tenpin Bowling Show.

Back
Top Bottom