Televised Games

Would you invest time and/or money to build a larger profile for tenpin?

• Yes

Votes: 80 56.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Time Only

Votes: 40 28.4%
  • Money Only

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Watch Televised matches

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Willing to help in production of televised matches (if necessary)

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • albatross (had to do it - [url]http://www.slashnot.com/poll.php3[/url] - all but the latest poll)

Votes: 4 2.8%

• Total voters
G

GrandLeo

<StartOfRant>
Before getting back into the action, it had been a while since I bowed (~13 years), back then I was a junior who enjoyed watching televised games that had the likes of Cara Honeychurch(congratulation Cara on the new addition to your family) and others.

Does anybody know why these televised events were stopped? Now that AMF has new owners (MLE and Macquarie Leisure Operations) what (if any) steps are they taking to boost the profile of the sport?? what steps are being taken to televise Australia's tournaments! Jason Belmonte is bowling brilliantly and he has to travel to England to be seen smashing the pins into dust while scoring a 300, on air. Anyways getting too rant-like now, so I'd better stop!

Eventhough I would never be that good for it to even affect me, it would just be nice to see an increase in our sports public profile.
I may be ignorant as I do not have Fox (does Fox show any OZ Tourny's?? -I'd be willing to suscribe if it does)
but back when ('92-'94 area) I think it was channel 2 who televised it, or SBS, any case, at least it was free to air! They had at least 1 viewer! :p
<EndOFRant>

New Dude . ...

Look ... I'm a very keen bowler, but we struggle to get Tenpin in the papers, let alone games on TV.

The game just doesn't rate a mention anywhere. The Australian Open is played and won ... the only place you would read about it would be on this website.

We've got to get the game noticed .. league results in the papers may be a start.

Spanner.

One of the problems of no T.V coverage is Steve Mackie went to America. Steve would gladly spend $50,000 to pay to have the sport covered by pay T.V. All the early South Pacifics were Televised by the ABC but that still cost a lot of money, all the staff had to be fed( there were a lot of them ). Steve knew the importance of a National coverage of the sport, it was all Advertising and worth it's weight in Gold.

As for Newspaper coverage, you can't expect the Newspapers to care about a sport that spends no money Advertising in thier paper, I'm sure if Tenpin Bowling were to Advertise more than they could expect more coverage in the papers, they could use thier Advertising $'s as leverage. The only Advertising done is during School Holidays.

This also applies at a Centre level, the Centre's should Advertise in local throw overs, than they could send in stories of thier Centre with a good chance of being printed, also liase with the local papers for any major event coming.

JMO.

willey.

Just diverting slightly, but MLE own Big Brother, wouldn't it be great to see a bowling lane in the house or will there???? :confused:

Playa said:
Just diverting slightly, but MLE own Big Brother, wouldn't it be great to see a bowling lane in the house or will there???? :confused:

Stay tuned - im told there will be some Tenpin involvement in Big Brother 05.

The Spanner said:
We've got to get the game noticed .. league results in the papers may be a start.

Spanner.

I know when i started Bowling back in Maryborough, quite a few years ago the secretary of our league used to send the Standing sheet along with high games and high series to the local paper and the were published in the sports section at the back. Occasionally when they had a tournament or the local masters they would come and take photos and do an article for the sports section. Butlike i said that was about 15-17 years ago. In a country town.

Who knows what could happen.

graham said:
Stay tuned - im told there will be some Tenpin involvement in Big Brother 05.

I hope so Graham. By the way On tonights Big Brother they reveal what's behind the secret silver doors. Might have to tune into that one just incase ;)

Peace
Chris

His post was 3 days ago, but I bet the latest vote on the poll was 1 minute ago. Votes on polls now push the topic back to the top of the list, even without a post added to the topic.

well i think that some form of bowling will be on big brother like duckpin bowling. cus for a start why is there a bigbrother league in amf alleys if there wasnt some form of lanes in the house.

I think there will be some form of tenpin bowling on big brother Friday nite live this week....

As on uplate last nite...the host mike said...one or more housemates may get a strike on Friday... Playing on the fact that housemates are giving strikes against their names for breaking the rules....

But i think it could be something to do with bowling ...The strikes he was mentioning... Which would make sense seeing big brother leagues are starting on the 29th of May at amf centre.

not to steer the subject off of BB05 but years back when i was really into my bowling the only reason i got optus tv was for the tenpin on ESPN but now theres nothing ,occasionly there is some bowling on fox sports but they put it on a stupid times of day
yet theres so much bloody poker being televised it ridiculous

Ten Pin is more fun to watch than that rubbish

The story below illustrates points made by Andrew BC and The Spanner re local newspaper coverage of Tenpin Bowling. The article took pride of place on the back page even out-doing last nights State of Origin Rugby League match.

Details can be viewed, including photos, on www.news-mail.com.au

"Bundaberg's star bowlers from the South Queensland Zone Tenpin Championships.

Friends not split in battle

By IAN MAYBANKS
MORGAN Lutz and Doron Wijker put their friendship to the test, bowling out the restricted masters girls’ title at the South Queensland Tenpin Championships.

The Bundaberg bowlers came through the preliminary rounds at the Mt Gravatt alley on Saturday and were forced into a play-off for the title.

Lutz came out on top after the first two games were drawn and replayed in an enduring battle.

“It was pretty nerve wracking, it’s hard to be friends when your in a contest,’’ Lutz said.

Wijker said they made a pact before the final, to not let the result come between them.

“We said before the game whatever happens we will still be friends,’’ Wijker said.
The gruelling schedule had Lutz play 21 games and Wijker 25, who was trying to shake off a cold.

Lutz said she was never there to win it and the result was a shock.

“I just wanted to get into the restricted final, it was definitely more than I expected,’’ she said.

She had to change her usual ball release to suit the well-oiled surface and produced some of the best form of her career.

Grayden Toorenburg finished third in restricted masters and second in the C grade singles.

Vanessa Sumner was first in the A grade singles, Wijker was second in the B grade girls’ singles, Amy Harkins third in the C grade girls’ singles and Rhys James first in the C grade boys’ singles.

In teams events James and Caine Thompson were first in the C grade boys doubles.

Sumner, Tiffany Crossett, Ashliegh Firth, Brodie Thompson, Jessica Charteris won the A Grade girls team event and Caine Thompson, James, Toorenurg, Adam Beynon and Daan Wijker combined for the B Grade boys team win.

Daan Wijker scored a personal best 296 on Sunday at the Open Masters, hitting 11 strikes in a row to almost score the perfect game.

“There were 120 people all behind me cheering on, with each strike the crowd grew bigger and they would go completely silent when I bowled,’’ Wijker said.

“It was a lot of stress.’’

Wijker put his hot streak down to the slick surface of the Mt Gravatt lanes. "

As well, all the weeks' bowling league results are listed each Thursday.

Feral

i remeber when trots and amanda bradely won the sth pac a few years ago we got a small patch in the sports results in the herald sun but they couldnt even get amanda's name right, so what hope have we got

hey guys,
our maitland league is trying to boost the profile of bowling by putting results in the paper every week, and trying to attract new sponsors. last week a new suggestion came up that our league gets together and makes a website showing results every week and our sponsors will get advertisement as well. as far as no not many leagues have done this in the past and may be just a small step but it is boosting the sports profile.

just a suggestion to TBA, not knowing whether they have done it or not but why dont they try talking to different television stations to see what is the chance of getting even just for 1 tournament, having it televised. if they can have lawn bowls on every weekend on abc why not tenpin bowling. if we wont the sport to be boosted we have to start making steps forward and not just waiting for someone else to do it for us.

The Sydney Rugby League show, Boots 'n' All, has a competition on their show, a bowl off between NRL stars.

Todays show had Scott Donald & Mark Riddel we bowling at Bowl Australia in Castle Hill.

It's good to see bowling get some exposure, even though it wasn't demonstrating the talented bowlers we have here in Australia, but at least the sport got some media exposure.

why is it that when people bowl 300's they get their name in the paper? and a photo and stuff. Like sure it is an awesome achievment to do it but not many people are actually interested in bowling!

Back
Top Bottom