Taking care of your ball

P

_pinkgl0w

Okay,

So l'm new to the bowling scene. This is probably one of the most obvious things to ask, and your probably sitting there laughing at me because l don't know the answer:p

If you visit the Ball Reviews section, you might have noticed that l got a brand new bowling ball for christmas, and because its brand spanking new, l'd like to try and take care of it as much as possible.

I've bowled with it a few times, and there are a few chips (very small, not really noticeable, but you can still feel them) that have come about from bowling and l was wondering if there was a way to avoid it? If not - is there anything l can do afterwards to fix it/help it?

I also don't have any towels, should l get one?

Hay there baiscally there is no way at all to stop the little chips and marks in the ball at all. u can resurface the ball but i dont recommend u do that to often as the ball will loose its surface reaction if it is done to often. As for the towl thing it is a good idea to have a towl in your bag as it will come in handy when you need to wipe the oil of your hands and ball. Hope this helps you out a little.

Scott Fryer

Thanks Scott,

I feel really dumb asking :(

I would ask the people at my local AMF, but they always seem busy, and l don't want to bother them.

Is there anything else l can do to take care of my ball? Or is that pretty much it?

Its a Target Zone ball by Brunswick.

Because l'm a beginner, l was told it would be an ideal ball, it bowls straight and pretty much acts like your average alley ball.

My boyfriend got a ball back in July, brand new, undrilled. It now looks like a scuffed up ball, with chips and scratches. I just don't want mine to end up like that, not too soon anyways.

yer hey, are you using a reactive ball? if you are you can get a product called Powerhouse™ Energizer Ball Cleaner this is by ebonite and there are many other products available im sure from your local pro shop. When using this product you should use it after every leauge session. hope this is of help

Matt Smith

ohh crap i didnt realise all the otha stuff was said..but thats another idea lol

sorry... now i look silly

the target zone isant reactive so all you can really do is after say every 50 to 60 games get your local pro shop to give it a light sand and a polish for you and that will keep it as good as it can chips and scratches are just one of those things u have to just put up with in this sport i know from experience that dosent matter what u do it is allways going to happen i got a brand new $300 ball a couple of months ago and the first shot i threw it came back with the biggest chunk out of it and i wasnt happy but waht do u do and dont feel dumb for asking questions thats what this site is here for and dont forget there is alot of sponsered bowlers out there so dont hesitate to ask one of them a question either 99% of them are very approachable so dont feel dumb it is what people are her for as u said u are just starting off so ask away

Scott Fryer

Hey Matt,

No not at all :) It was helpful, l will remember that if l get a reactive ball :D

Scott - ouch! That sucks, l thought after bowling with it and having some small chips were bad! You have been very helpful and l appreciate it.

Should l invest in some cleaning products for this ball? I asked this question at the ball reviews section, but is it really necessary?

not really isacol does the trick just as good as anything else does but it is up to u on what u feel like doing metho is a good one aswell

Wouldn't warm soapy water every now and again be adequate for cleaning purposes? Going for dedicated cleaning products/solvents for a plastic ball seems a little over the top.

Windex at best, surely.

haha AMF + busy???? :p

Quite possibly true - but in the few times they are too busy to talk - on the phone, dealing with a hug family who don't know their shoe sizes and try on every shoe in the store etc. I just find it hard to ask, and yeah, l'd feel like an idiot!

Wouldn't warm soapy water every now and again be adequate for cleaning purposes? Going for dedicated cleaning products/solvents for a plastic ball seems a little over the top.
Windex at best, surely.

I'll try it :) It sounds like it would work.

Warm soapy water is the best way to go, ive used it plenty of times it does the trick, and i hear using straight metho...eats away the ball lol. um is that true??

Isocol is good stuff. Can be found in the section where they sell band-aids and stuff at Woolies.
A good soak in a hot tub full of water is good too. :)

Back
Top Bottom