Storm STORM SURE FIRE

zoedog

Hi Jason, have you had a look at the Sure Fire? Thinking this one may be suitable for me. Cheers, Andrew

Storm Sure Fire

The Sure Fire utilises Storm’s Twin V core in an inverted configuration, as used in the Spit FIre. This means that you get the carry of this strong core, but not the angular “Suh-nap!!” Of something like a Fired Up, Pyro or Rapid Fire. This rolly core design is then covered in Hybrid R2S, providing a pinch of additional length through the front end and that strong, rolly backend motion and carry that R2S is famous for.

My Specs

I’m a RH cranker. 450+ RPM. PAP is 4½ across and 3/4 up. Ball speed is medium high at 18 mph.

LAYOUT

The ball in question had 2.2 Top Weight and a 3" pin. Pin was laid out 5+” from the PAP in the grip, with a strong arc MB position. This is another drilling seen a lot on the PBA tour allowing players to use stronger balls on higher friction conditions. Remember that layouts are relative to your Positive Axis Point (PAP), and not your finger holes, so don't be fooled by how this looks. It rolls and hits great. The precision layout and drilling was carried out at Bowler’s Edge www.bowlersedge.com.au.

COVER

The cover stock is 4000 Abralon R2S Hybrid. I’ve played with the surface a little and it responds very nicely to changes. This gets the ball through the heads easily and the R2S as always reads the midlane with firm control. This ball looks great btw. The colour is Black/Copper, but is more Copper. The “Pina Colada” scent is a love/hate thing. Like my Ragin’ Banshee, I love the ball enough to put up with it. My friend James thinks it lovely. (He’s been sniffing too many bowling balls IMHO.) : )

REACTION

I've bowled this piece on Brunswick Anvilane with a very bouncy house shot and a 43ft tournament pattern. Here's how it went.

This ball goes clean through the heads, reads the midlane magnificently, and then makes a controlled move left. This is part cover, part layout, part release. It responds very well to changes in hand position. I can play inside or out with different releases and hold the pocket with small moves. This one of those great “go to” balls when you need consistent reaction.

Without a doubt, the Sure Fire is the most versatile ball I’ve drilled this year and a “must have” if you have a strong release.

CARRY

Overall, the Sure Fire’s pin carry is excellent. When I stick back row pins with this piece, it’s because I’m using the wrong line. When I line up properly, the Sure Fire is just what the name says. For a ball with a very rolly layout, it really does hit well. It often looks like it will leave a flat 10 pin and then simply doesn’t. I love that.

SUMMARY

My absolute favourite ball reaction is strong and rolly. As such, I am really impressed with the Sure Fire. To date, I’ve never seen a bad Sure Fire go down the lane. (Maybe they exist, but I haven’t seen one.) I drilled one for Chris Thomas and he tells me he is “really stoked” with it. It’s the best ball I’ve drilled since the Special Agent and I’m seriously thinking about getting another of each.

Jason Doust
Storm/Vise Amateur Staff
Bowler's Edge Pro Shop
www.bowlersedge.com.au

Attachments

• SureFireWeb.jpg
    SureFireWeb.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 56
Back
Top Bottom