Storm Storm Rapid Fire

jason_doust

The Bowling Geek
Storm Rapid Fire

With the muscular Twin V core (from the Fired Up, Diablo, Pyro) wrapped in a solid R2S Cover (from the Special Agent), I was expecting a strong piece. I sure got that in the Rapid Fire.

My Specs

I’m a RH cranker. 450+ RPM. PAP is 4½ across and 3/4 up. Ball speed is medium high at 18 mph.

LAYOUT

The ball in question had 3.3oz Top Weight and a 3½" pin. My Rapid Fire is laid out in a long, control drilling. Pin was laid out 75° from the PAP with a 30° Pin to PAL Buffer, MB 60° from the PAP. Remember that layouts are relative to your Positive Axis Point (PAP). PBA fans will see Ryan Shafer and Chris Barnes often throw similar layouts when using strong balls. A photo is attached.

Precision layout and drilling were carried out at Bowler’s Edge www.bowlersedge.com.au.

COVER

The cover stock is factory polished R2S Solid. It’s got some serious energy retention and release. This gets the ball through the heads easily and (as always) R2S reads the midlane with firm control. Previous R2S releases have responded well to cover adjustments, so I would expect the Rapid Fire to behave similarly. The colour is Purple and Sapphire Blue. The grape scent is much milder than the Pyro which it was last used in.

REACTION

I've bowled this piece twice now on Brunswick Anvilane with a 43ft tournament pattern. Here's how it went.

This ball is very clean through the heads, makes a positive midlane read, and then a big move left. I’ve punched it out for tournament conditions, but it made the 43 ft pattern look pretty short from a variety of angles. I had to trust the Rapid Fire from angles that nothing else would recover from.When I did trust it, it repaid me with amazing recovery. There were quite a few “Did that really get back from there..?” moments.

When the pattern broke down and other balls became too touchy, the Rapid Fire allowed me to move in to the big oil, hook the ball more and really open up the lane.

CARRY
The Rapid Fire’s pin carry is WOW. The ball blew some big racks and some atomic messengers. It’s got that noisy R2S “Ker-runch!” in the pocket. When recovering from the big angles this ball generates, I was expecting a lot more 10 pins than I got. I played with different angles and it carried well from all over the lane. >From outside 5 to inside 20, it still got the corners out convincingly at Tuggeranong, a house notorious for standing them up, even when skating what I considered to be too far.

SUMMARY
The Rapid Fire is solid muscle. This ball will clear the front of the lanes easily with a bunch of pop in the backend for great pin action. The R2S cover can be readily tweaked with sanding or polish for fine tuning. And while I wouldn’t recommend it for use on dry lanes, it’s great ball for anyone looking for some extra boards of hook.

Jason Doust
Storm/Vise Amateur Staff
www.bowlersedge.com.au

Attachments

• RapidFireWeb.jpg
    RapidFireWeb.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 83
Re: Storm Rapid Fire - Update

I've recently subtly changed the surface on my Rapid Fire by rubbing the top off the polish with a 4000 grit Abralon pad. This has smoothed out the midlane reaction, while keeping the backend strong.

I recommend it. Try 2000 grit if you have a lower rotation rate. The smooth cover will burnish up by itself to a nice gloss when you bowl with it. (Providing there's some oil on the lanes!)

Cheers,
Jason

Back
Top Bottom