Storm Storm Gravity Shift

jason_doust

The Bowling Geek
Storm Gravity Shift
After getting trounced by Justin Petrass last week with a Gravity Shift in his hand, I drilled one! The Storm Gravity Shift has the new R2X cover stock combined with the second generation Shape-Lok HD™ (lower RG) asymmetric core. I was expecting it to go quite long and make a big hard move. Instead, I got a pleasant surprise.

My Specs
I’m a RH cranker. 450+ RPM. PAP is 4½ across and 3/4 up. Ball speed is medium high at 18 mph.

LAYOUT
The ball in question had 2.8 oz Top Weight and a 2½" pin. My Gravity Shift is laid out in a medium length, firm arc drilling. Pin was laid out 65° from the PAP with a 60° Pin to PAL Buffer, MB 40° from the PAP. Remember that layouts are relative to your Positive Axis Point (PAP). PBA fans will see Chris Barnes, Tommy Jones or Wes Mallott throwing similar layouts when seeking control downlane. Photos appear in the post below.

Precision layout and drilling were carried out at Bowler’s Edge www.bowlersedge.com.au.

COVER
The cover stock is factory polished R2X Pearl. R2X is a new cover stock and it reads the midlane in an even more controlled fashion than it's predecessor (R2S). This gets the ball through the heads easily for energy retention downlane, giving the Gravity Shift ample punch in the backend. The colour is Violet, Cherry and Silver, which matched with the gold glitter engraving, makes for a very attractive ball. The cherry chocolate scent is pretty strong out of the box, but tames down quickly. (I didn't like the smell initially, but it's growing on me, especially after throwing this ball!)

REACTION
I've bowled this piece on Brunswick Anvilane with a 43ft tournament pattern. Here's how it went.

This ball is very clean through the heads, makes a positive midlane read, and then a controlled move left. Not weak at all though as it had a real “churning” roll into the pocket, revving hard while holding a line. I’ve punched it out for tournament conditions with a hook-set layout and it made the 43 ft pattern look pretty easy as long as I moved when the lanes told me to. I am confident that I can use it on the house shot with a softer hand.

CARRY
Being a low RG ball, I expected that the Gravity Shift would have strong impact. I wasn't disappointed. The Gravity Shift’s pin carry is superb. The ball blew some big racks, sent some impressive messengers and even tripped a couple of 4 pins which is most unusual for me. Even from the soft angles I was playing this ball slaps a lot more 10 pins than I expected. Unless there was significant pilot error, it got the corners out convincingly at Tuggeranong, a house notorious for standing them up. I shot a 279 and a 258 with this ball and averaged 235 for a 10 game set using this ball and a Dimension. Low game was 211, so I stayed out of trouble with it.

SUMMARY
The Gravity Shift surprised me with the level of control it gave me. I was able to make small, simple moves and hold the pocket all day with it. This ball clears the front of the lanes easily with a confident backend move while maintaining excellent pin action - it really throws them about. The R2X cover can be readily tweaked with sanding or polish for fine tuning. I would recommend it for use on house shots when you want some extra boards of hook or for medium volume tournament shots.

Jason Doust
Storm/Vise Australia Amateur Staff
www.bowlersedge.com.au

Here's pics of the layout for reference. Remember that all layouts relate to the PAP, not the finger holes.

Cheers,
Jason

Attachments

• Gravity1.jpg
    Gravity1.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Gravity2.jpg
    Gravity2.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 33
haha well tonight i proved two things, a) that the gravity shift is a great ball and, b) that i am a huge choker lol. i bowled a 295 with it in the premier league, i left a very nice 4-6-7-9-10 on the 12th ball haha. but yeah used the gravity and it was just awesome

Oh well Justin. It was good enough for Michael Little to do the same thing at NSW Open! I asked him later if he deliberately missed to collect the 290-300 set of games or just stuffed up. He said in that very frank way he has "Nah mate, I just stuffed it up." ;)

Latest congratulations on the Gravity Shift front goes to Michael Craig for averaging 254 for his staggering 2286 All Events at the ACT Championships this weekend. Nice work Craigy!

And the plug of course... Ball drilled at Bowlers Edge, (need I say..?) :)

Jason,

Great review, only topped by Craigy's efforts.

Well done Michael keep up the good work I hope we will see you up here for the Tournament.

Regards
James

Back
Top Bottom