Storm Storm Virtual Gravity

jason_doust

The Bowling Geek
Storm Virtual Gravity
This is a review based on use at the Australian National Championships, a shortish pattern that was too dry for this ball. I will update it when I next see oil. (Could be a while...)

The Storm Virtual Gravity has the new R2X coverstock combined with the second generation Shape-Lok HD (lower RG) assymetric core. It's predecessor, the Gravity Shift was the same setup with a pearlised cover. This one is a solid reactive shell and the difference is striking. It makes a big hard move.

My Specs
I’m a RH cranker. 450+ RPM. PAP is 4½ across and 3/4 up. Ball speed is medium high at 18 mph.

LAYOUT
The ball in question had 3.4 oz Top Weight and a 4½" pin. My Virtual Gravity is laid out in a medium length, strong arc drilling. Pin was laid out 60° from the PAP with a 45° Pin to PAL Buffer, MB 65° from the PAP. Remember that layouts are relative to your Positive Axis Point (PAP). PBA fans will see Chris Barnes, Tommy Jones or Wes Mallott throwing similar layouts when seeking a strong motion downlane.
Precision layout and drilling were carried out at Bowler’s Edge www.bowlersedge.com.au.

COVER
The cover stock is R2X solid, factory finished to a 2000 grit Abralon surface. Even at this level of smoothness, the movement off the break is pronounced. I haven't tampered with it yet, but may polish it up at some point.
R2X reads the midlane in an even more controlled fashion than it's predecessor (R2S). This gets the ball through the heads easily giving the Virtual Gravity ample punch in the backend. The colour is Orange, Black and Blue, which is very distinctive. (You'll love it or hate it immediately.) The orange/mint scent is quite pleasant and reminds me of something I'd like to drink on a hot summer's day.

REACTION
I've only bowled this piece on Brunswick Anvilane with a 39ft tournament pattern. Here's how it went.
This ball is clean through the heads then becomes; as my friend Chris Thomas describes “the first ball I've ever described as aggressive in the midlane.” The midlane reaction is highly pronounced and is followed by a ton of backend pop. I can't wait to see higher volumes with this piece. Even on this high friction pattern, the ball did not tire as quickly as I would have expected.

CARRY
Like the Gravity Shift, the Virtual Gravity has that low RG ball strong impact. It just wallops the rack. When I get to a pattern with sufficient volume and length, I expect this ball to be just amazing.

SUMMARY
I've drilled five of these for people now and everyone agrees that this is one big bit of kit. Going hard in the midlane and strong in the backend, the Virtual Gravity is an immense piece. (Think Dimension with a big move left on the approach.) While the R2X cover can be readily tweaked with sanding or polish for fine tuning, I would recommend saving this one it for use on slick shots when you want extra boards of hook or for high volume, long tournament patterns. If you're a cranker, use a long pin to PAP and avoid an extra hole as you may flare over it. It's that dynamic.

I can't wait to get on some real soup with this beast.

Jason Doust
Storm/Vise Amateur Staff

p.s. Aussies got this one first at the Nationals! The rest of the world has to wait until November 17.

O.K. Update as promised. (Turns out I didn't have to wait as long as I thought.)

I put a coat of polish on this beast and was able to use it to circle the lanes at Bathurst Tenpin Bowl in the MRD Bathurst Pit Stop on day 2. All of a sudden, the ball got through the heads with great ease and turned the corner really strong. I was concerned that the ball might wiggle downlane with the polished cover. I shouldn't have been.

Even shined up, I can honestly say I have never had such faith in a ball to turn the corner. The Virtual Gravity is the most trustworthy piece I have ever thrown when I needed to cover serious boards. This ball is the nut!

Jason Doust
Storm/Vise Australia Amateur Staff

Oh yeah! Some layout pics. Pretty standard stuff, really...

Attachments

• vg_1.jpg
    vg_1.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 92
  • vg_2.jpg
    vg_2.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 67
Back
Top Bottom