Shorts - It's the Short Straw for Blokes!

Men should always wear slacks while competing in tournament. That's the most professional look we can ever hope to attain. Similar to Professional Golf events where the men are required to wear slacks...Yes, I know that Plus Fours are also acceptable attire, but I don't think any bowler would dare don that attire on the lanes.

I can tell you the best indicator of a playable temperature in a bowling centre. If any female spectators need to wear jackets or jumpers, then the room temp is right!

Wayne, there are some tournaments where the PGA allows shorts, mainly in tropical areas.

There have been tournaments where the TD has made a decision based on the weather (heat wave) and the centre (crap airconditioning), to allow men to wear shorts. I think one partiular SA Cup might have put the kibosh on that when I wore shorts, exposing legs that were deemed offensive to the public sensitivity. LOL.

Jase has the offending photos.:eek::eek::sorry:

I am caught halfway between.

Without doubt, I prefer to bowl in dress shorts. I always do for league. But I think that for major tournaments we should maintain a professional image.

Maybe, long pants for Ranked tournaments and neat dress shorts for any other tournaments.\

I am much more irritated by the collars shirt rule. The PBA don't need a collared shirt. Most of the major bowling companies make mock neck or collarless tournament shirts which nobody is allowed to wear here. I once spent $100 on a Storm mock neck shirt and was told I wasn't allowed to bowl.

Just a thought.

Wayne, there are some tournaments where the PGA allows shorts, mainly in tropical areas.

There have been tournaments where the TD has made a decision based on the weather (heat wave) and the centre (crap airconditioning), to allow men to wear shorts. I think one partiular SA Cup might have put the kibosh on that when I wore shorts, exposing legs that were deemed offensive to the public sensitivity. LOL.

Jase has the offending photos.:eek::eek::sorry:

I've seen those photos! They can not be un-seen!!! Dousty - keep those photos hidden, for the sake of humanity!!! :p

I am caught halfway between.

Without doubt, I prefer to bowl in dress shorts. I always do for league. But I think that for major tournaments we should maintain a professional image.

Maybe, long pants for Ranked tournaments and neat dress shorts for any other tournaments.\

I am much more irritated by the collars shirt rule. The PBA don't need a collared shirt. Most of the major bowling companies make mock neck or collarless tournament shirts which nobody is allowed to wear here. I once spent $100 on a Storm mock neck shirt and was told I wasn't allowed to bowl.
Just a thought.[/QUOTE

I have a similar 900Global shirt and have been allowed to wear it in tournaments. It depends, I think, on the tournament directors discretion as some are a bit caught in the 80's with some of their decisions. I appreciate their thought process in trying to make the sport look more professional, but some go a bit over the top with the brand mock neck shirts.

THat's Jase as in the Totalbowling Jase, not just a mere drill press jockey! LOL!

Oops, my bad Brenton, I thought you were referring to Mr Doust. Either way, I remember seeing those photos on here a while back, so I hope they don't see the light of day again lol :p

I find the rule the Arafura classic has adopted quite acceptable.

Neat shorts allowed for qualifying but must wear tailored pants during the final. I feel this is enough to portray the professional image we are looking for as most spectators and media coverage (if they come) will be watching during the final and not so much the qualifying.

As for Rachuig i believe pants are appropriate and make the team look professional.

Squads however should be neat and tidy. Dess shorts, pants etc, but imo still no jeans (thats just cause i hate bowling in them).

Some centres are just bloody hot.
Girls get shorts while men do not.
I think it's unfair

That we have to wear
Inappropriate clothing or else we get shot!

A little limerick to start the debate. At Nationals last year (same house this year - the Rooty Hill boiler house) was at an acceptable temperature for about the first two hours of the day, then proceeded to get hotter and hotter. I was told that it was intolerable during Rachuig. A funny comment I heard was a fellow from the NT telling me that Darwin was a lot cooler to play all year round, and that's where we run high temperature training for national athletes! Yet men still had to compete in long trousers while women were given the option to radiate some heat from their legs. It doesn't make sense and worse, it's unfair.

Another very hot house, Illawarra Strikezone, has the same ruling for the Mick Carmada Classic. At least they have the decency to run it in the dead of winter.

I say it's time that we made the rules fair and allow the option of smart casual shorts for men. As a matter of fact, does anyone know if it's in breach of the law to discriminate like this?

It's been a long time since Wimbledon was played in trousers. One rule for the gals and another for the guys is discriminatory, illogical and maybe even unlawful. Give it some thought. Back to study for me.

Cheers,
Jason

Jason,

I agree with you 100%, especially with the bit in bold, it is unfair pure and simple.

Cheers

Steve

I'm stuck in the past and still think men should wear trousers and women skirts.

Allowing women to wear skorts, shorts, slacks or skirts then has to open the men up to the option for being allowed to wear shorts. In a time of no sexual descrimination most organisers are opening themselves up to legal action, it's only a matter of time.

As for the nationals last year I was told to get changed out of my shorts after I had just watched other male bowlers bowl in them the squad before. It was funny though how on a week night others could bowl their squads in track pants.

I suppose it does depend on who you are.

The centres are hot once they fill with people and until that gets rectified shorts should be allowed for men.

I'm stuck in the past and still think men should wear trousers and women skirts.
Allowing women to wear skorts, shorts, slacks or skirts then has to open the men up to the option for being allowed to wear shorts. In a time of no sexual descrimination most organisers are opening themselves up to legal action, it's only a matter of time.

As for the nationals last year I was told to get changed out of my shorts after I had just watched other male bowlers bowl in them the squad before. It was funny though how on a week night others could bowl their squads in track pants.

I suppose it does depend on who you are.

The centres are hot once they fill with people and until that gets rectified shorts should be allowed for men.

Millsn are you on the fence? :)

THat's Jase as in the Totalbowling Jase, not just a mere drill press jockey! LOL!
I take offence here Brenton... It's a digitally calibrated 2HP mill! "Mere drill press..." HAH! No woodworking tools in my pro shop! (Well ok, I have a lovely antique spokeshave for trimming slugs on egg shaped balls...) :)

I've seen the photos too. Still not sure why Jase had the flash on. Could have burned out his CCD with the resultant glare!

A good mix of opinions here. Nice to see we're all being civil too. There's a consensus forming and it's a positive one. Seems to me that folks want cooler air of the right to radiate heat. Keep adding though folks!

I take offence here Brenton... It's a digitally calibrated 2HP mill! "Mere drill press..." HAH! No woodworking tools in my pro shop! (Well ok, I have a lovely antique spokeshave for trimming slugs on egg shaped balls...) :)

I've seen the photos too. Still not sure why Jase had the flash on. Could have burned out his CCD with the resultant glare!

A good mix of opinions here. Nice to see we're all being civil too. There's a consensus forming and it's a positive one. Seems to me that folks want cooler air of the right to radiate heat. Keep adding though folks!

All I will say here is "It takes one to know one!" and leave it at that LOL

Shorts are definitely the way to go up here in QLD.. particularly if you bowl in a centre which only puts on 1/3 of the airconditioning so as to save money (may need your own torch to find the counter too as they also turn lights off).

Bowled in a centre last weekend that relied on the shopping centre it was on top of for its aircon - needless to say the aircon wasn't on untill around 10.00 am....shorts are the go !!!

Back
Top Bottom