Scorekeeping...a lost art

wchester

Bowling Tragic
How many of you were scorekeepers and what did you get paid?

I recall the days before auto scoring took hold in the bowling centres. I used to keep score for my parents league and that was how I made my bowling money. The astounding fee of $0.25 per bowler was the standard rate back in the 1960's. There was also a chance you'd get an extra $0.25 payoff when one of your bowlers got a score of 111 in the 7th frame. Either the money or a glass of cherry coke! :)

I could score by the age of 4 or 5.
Surprising, how many these days don't know how to keep score without the aid of the computer scoring.
I scored for some tournaments at Moonah and Mornington as a kid.

The two Shield's I rolled off for at Burnie, Devonport and Lonnie all had manual scoring with the projectors and white pencils. Only Moonah had auto-scoring.

I suppose it's what you're used to I guess.

I have to agree with tiger. So many of the ppl i work with aren't very good at keeping score. This shows when they are trying to score an 8 or 9 no tap comp!

Most of the new bowlers don't understand how to score and i know some bowlers that i bowl with are amazed that i can tell them what the highest possible score they can bowl when they're about 6 frames into a game.

Im with you winchester, i remember scoring in 1964/5 at hawthorn bowl in melbourne for my parents team for twobob ($0,25) per game this massive earnings entitled me to a lemonade spider in the cafeteria after bowling (heaven).
Scoring comes easy to those who have practiced at a young age.
John Madden

I must agree with you all I bowl in house and out at tournament and still get asked how to score and allot of people do not get how you reach the result with spares and strikes and trying to tell them only confuses them even more
:? :shock:

Good to see a constructive post Wayne.

Although being payed for score keeping was a bit before my time I have to agree with you that not a lot of league bowlers these days can score a game themselves. I also think that a lot of staff manning bowling centres also are unable to score correctly.

It is sad to see that people have become lazy with regards to scoring in tenpins. I like watching the panic in the eyes of bowlers when monitors go blank and there are no spare lanes to move onto. Usually someone from the control desk comes down to score the rest of the game but it is mayhem if no one is available.

Gee you guys back then had it made. Scoring games for your parents league(s) in order to have money for bowling or other treats. Those are certainly glory days long gone. God damn computers. The inventor should be shot.

How much money and bowling I could have enjoyed for nix.

PS: I make a living from using computers (Degree in Computer Science; Associate Diploma Applied Physics and Computing). Funnily it all came about because I wanted to learn how to create a program to record my league bowling scores. Sad to say I have them all on computer now in Excel Spreadsheets all 5049 of them. Old habits die hard. Laziness also usually wins. Learn't to program but took the easy way out. Why reinvent the wheel?

Back
Top Bottom