Stop the insanity..and save our sport from extinction.

Dozza your comments are very interesting.
I think you may remain assured that anyone who takes their bowling seriously, whether it be tournament or league, will most certainly not drink alcohol whilst bowling.
We have heaps of evidence of the effects of alcohol on the brain and how it affects our judgement, decision making processes, and even our memory banks.
There are plenty of opinions about what liquids to take during competition and alcohol does not figure in these opinions. If you need any re-assurance I'm sure other posters will agree.

Re: Bowlers need to act as athletes.

Dozza said:

After recently attending the ECCC as a spectator (and mother of a jnr player) I was left feeling lost watching players representing their states visiting the bar and drinking alcohol after each event. This happened amongst not only the adults but also the youth.

Im sorry that you had to see this but when you give away a state team shirt with every membership and pair of shoes at the counter you are not always going to have elite bowlers representing your state. Sure there are the bowlers involved in both, and whatever other excuses you can come up with. ECCC may have it's traditions BUT OVERALL I am certain you will find a more "professional / athlete" attitude amongst the bowlers representing their states these coming weeks in Bankstown at the TBA Nationals. The ECCC is not an indication of the direction of the majority of bowlers in Australia.

These are my opinions only.

About the tech issues - article I read today in on of the golf mags said that the USGA has made itself somewhat unpopular with the equipment manufacturers by rejecting a proposal to increase the allowable COR for golf clubs from 0.83 to 0.86. COR is soefficient of restitution; a cor of 0.83 means the ball comes off the clubhead with a speed of 0.83 x clubhead speed at impact. Apparently this is due to concerns about the effect of the equipment advances on the game.
They had a table of the driving distances (top 10 average drivers) in 1980 and 2002. About 20-25 yards difference. Daly, Goggins and Woods were the only 3 to average 270+ yards, and in 1980 there were 3 over 250 yards.

Greg Norman ranked 5th in his first year on tour, with 249 yards (at age 29). Last year he averaged 253 yards. That put him 128th.

The difference, of course, is that golf lets the rough get worse and lengthens the courses to counter the improvements in technology. Bowling widens the shot so people can enjoy big scores. :?

Note to CB - yes, on occasion, you and Drewy could get the whole lane with a blue dot back then. The difference is that these days people can do it (and carry!) with 4 revs instead of 18.

Back
Top Bottom