Rule for off spot pins

nls

can't say that I look up the rules very often but this is one of those things were I always thought the was right appears to be different to the rule book.....Just want to make sure I am not missing something.

When the pins are off spot (but still standing) as a result of machinery malfunction are you entitled to a re-spot or do you play it where it stands ? eg you bowl and leave 6-10 and the machinery moves the 6 pin left and widens the gap between these pins.

I always thought that no re-spot was available if pins moved as a result of ball or other pins but was available if a result of machinery malfunction. If you read rule 111 it indicates that no re-spots are allowed even if moved by machinery. It is that simple ? Or is there another rule somewhere that covers this situation ?

Thanks

I was always under the impression that the pin could only be re-stood in its original position if the pinspotter, and pinspotter only, caused a pin to be knocked over.

If the pinspotter is moving the pins off a solid spare leave, then I would be requesting the pinspotter be fixed by a technician straight away :)

I just checked rule 111, because I know for a fact that the rule used to be that a pin moved by a pinsetter could be replaced on its original spot. There was even a thread about this a long time ago (ten years) when I had a pin replaced at the SunCity. Maybe that was back in ATBC days, but 111 is dfferent from the then rule and there does not seem to be a revision note for it. It's also totally wrong IMO - you shouldn't be penalised for a pinsetter malfunction.

I just checked rule 111, because I know for a fact that the rule used to be that a pin moved by a pinsetter could be replaced on its original spot. There was even a thread about this a long time ago (ten years) when I had a pin replaced at the SunCity. Maybe that was back in ATBC days, but 111 is dfferent from the then rule and there does not seem to be a revision note for it. It's also totally wrong IMO - you shouldn't be penalised for a pinsetter malfunction.

I agree absolutely about that part of rule 111 being totally wrong in principal. To have a pin moved by some outside agency not able to be respotted is not only totally unfair, it is, in a word - stupid.
I have difficulty believing the rule has always been like that. Anyone got an old ATBC rulebook? I might have one somewhere, I'll have a search.

I have just pulled out a 1995 ATBC rule book and rule 8.2 says that pins can be re-spot if the machinery moves the pin......would love to know the logic behind the rule change or when it was changed......

"would love to know the logic behind the rule change "

That will be a unique day in the life of the planet, when someone can find 'logic' buried in there somewhere. There are fingerprints all over that change. I think I know whose they are. TBA, I'm sure someone must monitor this site. Please do what is sensible and amend the current rule.

The current TBA rule matches the WTBA rule, so I can't see it being changed anytime soon regardless of the lack of common sense.

Back
Top Bottom