Rule confirmation

milkman

Someone told me the other day that if a pin moves from its spot but doesnt fall over, and that if the machine knocks it over when it goes to pick it up, that the pin must be put back to its original position.

I was always under the impression that the pin is moved to the closest spot.

Can anyone confirm this?

We've always played under the rule here that, if the pin slides off spot and remains standing, if it is then toppled by the pinsetter, it must be restood in the place the pin originated from.
However, I have seen a PBA tape from 1984, where John Forst left a wickedly offspot 2-4 in the Rolaids Open, where the 4-pin ended up more or less in front of the 7-pin (sort of like a baby split) and the mechanic was required to reset the pin in its offspot position - in effect, a 2-4 baby split.

I don't know which rule is correct, maybe differing rules governing this in different countries.

TBA RULE BOOK

RULE 109 PINFALL - ILLEGAL
When any of the following incidents occur the ball counts as a ball rolled, but pins knocked down will not count:
1. When pins are knocked down or displaced by a ball that leaves the lane before reaching the pins.
2. When a ball rebounds from the rear cushion.
3. When pins come in contact with the body, arms or legs of a pin setter and rebound.
4. A standing pin which falls upon removing dead wood or which is knocked down by a human pin setter or touched by
mechanical pin setting equipment will not count and must be replaced on the pin spot inscribed on the pin deck where it
originally stood before delivery of the ball.

5. Pins which are bowled off the lane, rebound and remain standing on the lane must be counted as pins standing.
6. If in delivering the ball a foul is committed, any pins knocked down by such delivery will not be counted.
7. Pins knocked down by a ball illegally delivered. Refer Rule 603, Holes.

what if a pin hits a sweep before it moving, and then it bounces off and hit another pin... then what?

A pin which contacts a stationery sweep bar, then deflects off the sweep bar and topples other pins is considered legal pinfall.

If any sweep bar or pinspotter is moving and causes pins to fall in any manner, the fallen pin must be respotted,

Back
Top Bottom