Sliding pins.... What's the furthest?

Roysa

Thought I'd start a thread similar to the favorite centre/food threads based on something that happened to me in a centre that for now will remain a mystery.

I was throwing some practise games over the weekend and was going well when I threw what should have been a 4 bagger only to have the 6 pin slide all the way to the 7 pin location (yes the 7 pin) without falling over. The pin setter picked it up and I was left to pick up the spare :)

So the question is..... How far have you seen a pin move (slide) without falling over ?

Ps I've also seen a pin get knocked over and been hit by 2 other pins at the same time on either side leaving it standing after being completely knocked horizontal during a good mix.

I put a ball in the pocket (left hander)to have the 2 pin replace the 4 pin which l then had to spare. Maybe closer to being the shortest?

Mt Gambier used to be shocking for it in 1995, 7 pin sliding over from the 10 pin spot had to be hard to top. The tech at the time only had the job coz he was knocking off the owners daughter so getting him to understand would have been trying to explain quantum mechanics to a gorilla!!!

I once slid a pin in front of the pin barrier and it was still standing.... That was a frustrating respot :D

The one I hated most was the 5 pin sliding to the 10 pin spot. As for the pin standing back up I've had that happen to me, and if you don't see it for your self you would never believe it. The pin was almost flat when one pin hit on one side and one on the other and it stood up and wobbled, but wouldn't fall, unbelievable.

I know that Robbie, I didn't know that at the time, as it was one of my first leagues.

remember back in the 80's at shield in perth at fairlanes watching a guy leave a 6-10, only to slide the 6 somewhere over to the 7 region

8 to the 10 two weeks ago and a four pin that fell then restood like it was jesus rising should have nailed that F#$@#R harder but thats dandy for ya

Probably about 8 years ago, I experienced what I would have said, before it happened was effectively impossible. I was bowling at the centre at Burleigh Heads on the Gold Coast, when I hit the pocket absolutely flush, which resulted in one of those strikes where all the pins just disappear instantly - no 'messengers', no hesitation - just all gone.

Then, from somewhere this pin came bouncing and sumersaulting back onto the pindeck, and stood up, near enough to the 4 pin spot. Didn't even wobble!!

Now, you all think that's the 'impossible' bit. Not so!

3 frames later, The identical thing happened again. The pin ended up on the same spot - again, didn't even have the decency to wobble a bit! Do it twice, that's the 'impossible' bit!

I've got no idea which pin it was, because it left the deck with all the others.

hahaha great story jim....

its a funny game...

on a side note my high game is 287... and in a similar story to yours above (presuming no one else saw your impossible feat?) i bowled the first 10 strikes on a tuesday with no one else bowling in the centre.... NO ONE. Only 1 guy behind the counter and 2 cafe staff out the back...

Im kinda glad i pulled the 11th and missed... imagine trying to prove a 300 with no witnesses :)

another reason to never go golfing alone... golfers will know what i mean.

I was practicing at the very old Box Hill Squash Bowl in Melbourne once and left the big 4....being right handed i went for the 6-10 and slid the 6 pin across the deck and between the 4-7 and it stood up in the left hand gutter...i couldnt believe it.

I remember the worst timing for a pin to slide across the deck.
Ellis Harris in the mid to late 90's in league at Moonah left the ring-10, the 6 pin clipped the 10 on its way around and sent it sliding perfect sideways into the 9 pin spot - for a 299! :eek:

Also, speaking of pins bouncing out of the pit and standing perfectly after a strike, I remember the day in Launceston when one member of this forum buried a much needed one in the tenth only to see a pin bounce out and stand back up - cost him his spot in the Rachuig team. Tough break.

The most movement I have witnessed ever - Mascot bowl NSW - Tim Mack hit a single pin spare so hard the pin came back to the arrows. Would not think that was possible only .....................saw it with my own eyes!

Gail

It's a little off topic and I wasn't there, but Stuart Erwin told me the tale of Brenton Davy getting a single pin to bounce out and set off a foul light at the old Olympic Bowl in Canberra.

I have seen a 10 pin slide to the 7 spot. A long time ago (at Parramatta, I think...)

Ive seen a guy a get pin bounce off the curtain all the way up to the foul line (At Geelong Bowlarama) was funny as

That's great footage and proves I'm not crazy. I've had that happen to me, and was it ever a surprise. The pin was half way over and stood back up on me. Thanks for the link.

Back
Top Bottom