Riding Lanes

Easy Tiger

This was mentioned in another post and got me thinking.

The art of riding lanes seems to have largely disappeared from bowling these days. Going back only a few years ago (eg 2005) riding lanes seemed quite common and accepted as part of the game. It was the bowler's way of showing some emotion, and sometimes also a bit of a ribbing of the opponent ("see if you can match me" or "take that").

These days it seems to have all but disappeared. Most of the leagues or tournaments I bowl in or see these days are mechanical, going through the motions. Hardly anyone seems to get outwardly excited or amped up. Anyone that does seems to be frowned upon. Many would have seen the antics of the likes of Steve Lovell and others over the years, the hip thrusting comes to mind..

I've noticed since returning to the sport that tournaments in particular are a lot less fun for me personally, the atmosphere is almost sterile, whereas I used to feel there was a sense of anticipation and excitement in the air. Now it's get up, chuck the ball, high five, sit down and maybe crack a smile after 8 in a row (exaggeration, but almost).

It's more just an observation, but has bowling got boring in the last few years? Would it really hurt to show some emotion on the lanes and not fear people frowning at you, or worse, even threatening/telling you off over it?

Ive always found someone lane riding as off putting, i mean most leagues give way 1 lane each side and thats fair enough, but if im up on the approach on lane 4 i dont want a guy riding a strike from lane 2 across 3's approach as im halfway down lane 4's approach.

I mean how far is he going to ride?

I get where you are coming from re-the sterile environment but id hate to have a serial lane rider in my leagues.

Whatever anyone Does dont ride with Amagill on the pair next to you unless you want a new scar or 2
ive bowled with him for like 5 weeks now and the blokes insane to trust people on a lane next to him to not move

I was surprised to see in the rule book that it is actually legal to ride one lane either side i.e. Bowling on lane 3 you can go to 2 or 4. I was always told not to do it. But now I say bring it on.

I do agree things are flat even bowling at rooty hill on Sunday it was a lot quieter and 'sterile' almost.

i reckon if i rode a strike in my sunday league id be cleaned up.... and fair enough too as it is uncommon and in my opinion unneccesary.

i reckon if i rode a strike in my sunday league id be cleaned up.... and fair enough too as it is uncommon and in my opinion unneccesary.

I disagree, it's certainly not the way to deal with things you don't like, I'd be pressing charges if anyone tried something like that.. But maybe that's the mentality these days.

It might be uncommon these days but getting revved up sure wasn't uncommon once. That included lane riding from time to time if you were on a roll or burying one to take an important break over your opponent. There's a video on here somewhere of Belmo riding a shot at the SA Cup about 5 years ago, would anyone clean him up? I doubt it and good on him for showing some passion.

Oooops i think you took what i said the wrong way, what i meant was, the majority of my league would not expect someone to 'ride' a ball at all, as a result id be stepping into the line of fire. The league gives way as most do, but as im returning from the approach someone is more often than not passing me on the next lane.

I disagree, it's certainly not the way to deal with things you don't like, I'd be pressing charges if anyone tried something like that.. But maybe that's the mentality these days.

It might be uncommon these days but getting revved up sure wasn't uncommon once. That included lane riding from time to time if you were on a roll or burying one to take an important break over your opponent. There's a video on here somewhere of Belmo riding a shot at the SA Cup about 5 years ago, would anyone clean him up? I doubt it and good on him for showing some passion.

Oooops i think you took what i said the wrong way, what i meant was, the majority of my league would not expect someone to 'ride' a ball at all, as a result id be stepping into the line of fire. The league gives way as most do, but as im returning from the approach someone is more often than not passing me on the next lane.

Sorry I misunderstood what you meant by cleaned up :)

don't forget some of the people in our league are clueless when it comes to bowling

Hey Sam

That was my point, i was probably saying it a bit less bluntly than you did. :)

But honestly they definately wouldnt expect it and someone would get 'bowled over'.

Hey Sam

That was my point, i was probably saying it a bit less bluntly than you did. :)

But honestly they definately wouldnt expect it and someone would get 'bowled over'.

not expecting it is what makes it interesting to watch, just like not giving way the lane to either side like the new team that came in near the end and got up another bowler's nerves to the point that he was gonna knock him flat

i must have been at the other end that night... i have a few ideas on who it could have been... :)

I was surprised to see in the rule book that it is actually legal to ride one lane either side i.e. Bowling on lane 3 you can go to 2 or 4. I was always told not to do it. But now I say bring it on.

I do agree things are flat even bowling at rooty hill on Sunday it was a lot quieter and 'sterile' almost.

Lol, I remember the TBA interpreting this rule a little differently last time I bowled Nationals in 05 at Strikezone, we were told in no uncertain terms not to ride the lanes past the guttering on our own lane or face yellow cards etc etc, as quite possibly the only team to be disqualified from practice prior to Rachuig starting, we still pushed the boundaries but without endangering our chances of bowling ;)

My personal opinion, I don't care, plenty of opponents have ridden lanes over and across me when I have been getting ready to bowl on my own approach, as long as they don't physically move into me, I just don't care, doesn't put me off.

Lol, I remember the TBA interpreting this rule a little differently last time I bowled Nationals in 05 at Strikezone, we were told in no uncertain terms not to ride the lanes past the guttering on our own lane or face yellow cards etc etc, as quite possibly the only team to be disqualified from practice prior to Rachuig starting, we still pushed the boundaries but without endangering our chances of bowling ;)

My personal opinion, I don't care, plenty of opponents have ridden lanes over and across me when I have been getting ready to bowl on my own approach, as long as they don't physically move into me, I just don't care, doesn't put me off.

agreed, and also just put the ball down and start again, then give it back to them :p

I agree, riding is very rare. When I see it these days, I'm quite surprised as its so rare.

Dean Crampton of ACT comes to mind when I think of 'riders' lol

not expecting it is what makes it interesting to watch, just like not giving way the lane to either side like the new team that came in near the end and got up another bowler's nerves to the point that he was gonna knock him flat

I'm wondering who it is, that was gonna "Knock somebody flat"!! :D

I used to love riding the ball. It got the crowd into it as well. These days there are not enough people in the crowd to get excited about, plus I'm tired after about game 2.
Cheers Lovey

don't forget some of the people in our league are clueless when it comes to bowling
You sure don't have a monopoly there, Sam! ;)

Bring it on! I love to see players getting into it. I'm all for a good ride on a good shot. Richard mentions Deano. Now there's a fella who gets into it! Fun to watch too.

Nothing worse than a row of robots on the lanes.

You sure don't have a monopoly there, Sam! ;)

Bring it on! I love to see players getting into it. I'm all for a good ride on a good shot. Richard mentions Deano. Now there's a fella who gets into it! Fun to watch too.

Nothing worse than a row of robots on the lanes.

you've got that right

Back
Top Bottom