Riding the lane?

P

Pudgey

iight at ECCC at fairfield during teams i had some person ride the lane came over to my side of the lane which was the right side while i was goin to bowl, i have thrown the ball in the air so it didnt hit him and put my knee out of place

who is in da wrong? me or the fool who was riding the lane?

The quote below is straight out of the TBA rule Book.
CHAPTER 2
GENERAL
RULE 201 BOWLING ETIQUETTE

4. Stay on your own approach at all times. “Riding” balls is permitted as long as the bowler does not move outside of one lane either side of the delivery lane.
I hope thihs reply helps you with your problem with lane riding.
I have bowled against people that ride 2 Lanes. You just have to wait until they start returning the players area.

Riding the lane i feel is one of those forgotten arts in our sport, can be entertaining and comical if excuted properly and the shot comes off, and yet can be annoying for those on the adjacent lanes, who may lack the patience to watch such art at work.

Never one to master the art myself (ball return at Kelmscott and resulting concussion from hitting the wall springs to mind.)

Much preferred to watch Wimpy and Scoops put on the show.

My suggestion would be to sit back and enjoy the ride and then if the 10pin should stand for them politely remind them that it is still there.

Always thank them for the show.

Cheers

I know this area is for TBA to post replies, but this was the ruling as I was aware and confirmed with TBA Rule Book.

4. Stay on your own approach at all times. “Riding” balls is permitted as long as the bowler does not move outside of one
lane either side of the delivery lane.

Hi,

This is what is in the TBA rule book:

Rule 201. (4)

"Stay on your own approach at all times. “Riding” balls is permitted as long as the bowler does not move outside of one
lane either side of the delivery lane."

From the TBA rule Book
GENERAL
Bowlers must give consideration at all times to the rights of the other bowler.
1. Prepare to take your turn promptly on the lane. Remember, the player to your right has the right of way.
2. Take your time, but don’t waste time by posing or waiting until everyone else is off the adjacent approaches.
3. Do not step onto your approach until the previous bowler has left.
4. Stay on your own approach at all times. “Riding” balls is permitted as long as the bowler does not move outside of one
lane either side of the delivery lane.

5. Step back off the approach after making each delivery.
Unfortunately from what you have described you are in the wrong as you can legally ride one lane either side of your delivery lane and the player to your right has right of way. Thats not to say that the player on your left cant ride to his right and onto your lane which seems a contridiction of the rules.
Personally I wont step onto the approach until the opposition (either left or right lane) are walking back off the approach espically if I know them to be a "rider".

iight at ECCC at fairfield during teams i had some person ride the lane came over to my side of the lane which was the right side while i was goin to bowl, i have thrown the ball in the air so it didnt hit him and put my knee out of place
who is in da wrong? me or the fool who was riding the lane?

you are allowed 1 lane either side of the lane you are actually bowling on for balance (riding) anything outside this 1 lane is not on.

He is mostly
but if u wait until he starts walking back to the players area before you play ur shot you would of been alright

Well I would say yours, if he was on the lane next to you, shouldn't you be waiting for him to clear the approach before you bowl anyway?? I know I always do.

It is a normal thing for some bowlers to ride the lane, many do it because they are off balance when they deliver the ball, many ride the shot because they are excited, many ride the shot because they want to intimidate the opponent, some ride the shot because they want to be noticed. I remember someone once that bowled the first 11 strikes in a row being perfectly balanced at the line, then rode the last shot and left 3 pins on the deck for a 297 game, if they only just bowled the last one as the previous 11!!!

There is no general rule as far as I am aware, however this question is relevant to the etiquette of bowling that states that.

Bowlers must give consideration at all times to the rights of the other bowler.
1. Prepare to take your turn promptly on the lane. Remember, the player to your right has the right of way.
2. Take your time, but don’t waste time by posing or waiting until everyone else is off the adjacent approaches.
3. Do not step onto your approach until the previous bowler has left.
4. Stay on your own approach at all times. “Riding” balls is permitted as long as the bowler does not move outside of one lane either side of the delivery lane.
5. Step back off the approach after making each delivery.
6. Do not use another player’s ball without permission.
7. The approaches may not be exactly to your liking, but DON’T use chalk, resin or talcum powder to condition them.
Your fellow bowlers may like them as they are.
8. Do not used chalk, resin or talcum powder in the players area.
9. Good bowling requires concentration. When players are ready to bowl, give them the courtesy of making their shot
without any interference, as you will want the same courtesy when it is your turn to bowl.
10. Be ready to bowl, but wait until the pin setting machine has completed its cycle and the sweep-bar is raised.
11. Respect the equipment. Getting the ball out on the lane is good bowling, but “lofting” can damage the lane.
12. Play the game to win, but be a gracious loser if you are on the short end of the count when the game is over.

I have added all the points of etiquette for your information, as this is not normally something that most bowlers are aware of.

So regarding your point, I personally never bowl until all players to the right and left of me have finished their shot, I then get on the approach and prepare to take my delivery.

This is not something everybody else does, but not everyone understands the rules of etiquette, I too have been caught as you have, and we learn from the past!!

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Patrick Birtig
NCAS TBA HP2 Coach
Coach Educator

Hey, the rules were about lane riding at eccc(i was bowling) yes you can ride lanes, but you must walk back on the lane you just bowled on. i guess its nobody fault, i didnt see it happen, but i think i have a idea who it would be. but i guess the lane rider should have been abit more careful. just a little tip tho, when you are up on the lanes and somebody just bowled before you, dont step off to bowl until they are almost back at the ball return.

Brett

Every bowler is allowed one lane to the left and the right of them. If you were on the lane directly next to him then he did nothing wrong, if you were 2 or more lanes away, then he is in the wrong.

I am sure that the right hand lane has right of way but you need to have some common sesce about it.;)

TBA Rulebook Version 6.6

Rule 201.4

"Stay on your own approach at all times. 'Riding' balls is permitted as long as the bowler does not move outside of one (1) lane either side of the delivery lane".

For example, if the other person was on lane 9, and you were about to bowl on either lane 8 or 10, and you almost hit them, then you are in the wrong.

They have right of way until they have completed their shot, and have stepped off the approach.

If ECCC/TQI goes by TBAL Rules, then this will apply. If not, then take it up with TQI.

In answer to your question, you would be at fault so long as the other bowler did " not move outside of one lane either side of the delivery lane " because riding of balls is premitted . Rule 201 Part 4 Bowling Etiquette.

Part 3 of the same rule also states " Do not step onto your approach until the previous bowler has left."

I hope this is what you were after.:D

Was he on the lane directly to your left?
For example, were on lane 20 and he on lane 19, or vice versa?
Or was there more then a lane gap between where he was bowling and where you were bowling?

Later Da Cowman!

as far as i have been aware and always been told is that while one bowler is on the lane he has the right to the wood, until he has walked in the players area,you wait til he/she has done so.especially if you know that some one is notorious for riding lanes.i may be wrong but i am sure the rule is you ahve to wait til that player has completed their shot which extends to them walking off the approach to the players pit.
no doubt i will be corrected if i am wrong

I'm not sure what the rules are on lane riding. I personally think the way some people ride lanes, is a little over the top. But, technically, it is bowler's ettiquette to give way to bowlers on lanes adjacent to yours, and in some tournaments you are asked to give way to two lanes either side of yours.

I'm not saying you are in the wrong, but I usually wait until the person next to me is completely finished. I used to just start bowling, once they'd started their approach, but I had a few instances where this sort of thing happened to me. i'm starting my approach & the person who just bowled beside me, came over & nearly tran into me.

Since then, I wait until bowlers on either side are of the approach before I bowl.

If he does this a lot it might just be safer to wait until he has finished his antics and come back off the approach.

He probably should stay in his own lane. Instead of throwing the ball in the air so you did'nt hit him, maybe you should have put all your weight behind it and hit him as hard as you could. Probably stop him riding in future.

Back
Top Bottom