Ranking lists...

Jase

Admin
Staff member
Was just looking at the Adult Rankings…Not quite sure why but I was…:D Can anyone explain to me or do they know why we have 99 Ladies on the Rankings list yet only 43 of them hold points…I understand that some of them may have only just registered but, there are quite a few names I know on that list that haven’t bowled in a Nation event for over 18 months or more…

Are they kept on the Data base/List for any purpose?
Is there any incentive from the ASC if we have x amount of people on our rankings?
Does anyone know why?

I think this issue was covered in a previous topic when I questioned the point of the rankings apart from the $1000 incentive for the leading bowlers in their respective divisions. Apparently to most they mean nothing but play a major role in the NT funding for bowling (NTIS). Thats about it

To become part of the National Rankings you need to go to the TBA website [www.tenpin.org.au] and fill in the registration form.
...OR
alternatively I have attached it for you. :)

Attachments

• Rankings Registration.pdf
    51.2 KB · Views: 24
Hello George,

I only wish that were true!

Sholarships seem to be determined by Australian Team and Squad selection.
Even though I've been the highest ranked male NT bowler since 2002,
I've only held an Elite scholarship (Highest) once when I made an Australian team.

Andrew

Thats interesting Andrew, here is the topic I started a few months ago questioning why we even have rankings when they lead no where and have no bearing on National teams

http://www.totalbowling.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=20466

Here is June's comments also

The Rankings in every sport becomes an issue when both sporting organisations and individuals are seeking government funding and sponsorship. A would be sponsor certainly would look more favourably on a bowler ranked in the top 10 or higher than a bowler who cannot show a ranking in their sport. For state governments who still fund tenpin bowling and Queensland and Northern Territory are the highest funded, having bowlers in the top 20 certainly increases the funding level for coaching and in some cases state team travel. To receive State Government funding the State body must be affiliated with the recognised National Sporting Organisation and their rankings is the system that is recognised. Key performance areas in some states include rankings for their elite players.
Hope this helps.
June Voukolos

I've said all along, the rankings SHOULD lead to something and provide a pathway to the National teams. Maybe one day this will happen...........

Andrew, maybe you should move to Queensland :D

George,
Every sport has a National Rankings which is recognised by Federal and State Governments as well as local councils and sponsors. I have provided many letters in the past for National Team members and attached TBA Rankings List for them to take to local councils to receive $300-500 sponsorship for making a National Team.
To assist in your query where does Rankings lead. As you know at the moment the Rankings winner receives $1,000 (this is for each division, male,female, youth male and youth female).
At the forthcoming Coaching and Officiating Conference in Melbourne the group will be discussing selection criteria for national and state teams and putting a clearer and more transparent list of criteria which at the moment varies from state to state. Having the National Camps to select teams still included the Rankings as part of the selection process when dissected to show how many points a player averages per event.
If we have a national process then in every national/state/territory rolloff everyone trying out for a team will know what they are up against and can see how it has been followed without question. Hopefully this will also keep the bowling public informed. Rankings will still be part of this process.
Yes you have to register to be part of the National Rankings and those shown on the list without points have registered.
When Andrew Frawley, John Coxon and I originally put the National Rankings together the second stage involved a state rankings system. Whether the current Board want to continue with this is up to them and I have not been privvy to those discussions.
Hope this information helps
June

Back
Top Bottom