Rachuig - What cheeses you off?

Andrew S.

Gold Coast
This is a request for feedback of any nature from anyone who bowled or coached or managed a Team this year.
But please exclude "spent $X000, but only bowled 3 games" - That is covered in another thread.

Nothing. Had an awesome time and it's the best team's format event in the world. Rachuig Rules.

Only one thing cheeses me off about it....

The number of people eager to kick this event without having bowled in it first.

I bowled it for the first time this year and absolutely loved it. I will be back next year.

Only one thing cheeses me off about it....

The number of people eager to kick this event without having bowled in it first.

I bowled it for the first time this year and absolutely loved it. I will be back next year.

Here, here.

Well, not the 1st year bit. But totally agree with the rest.

Christian and Craig covered it pretty well.
I always have a great time when I go away for Rachuig.

Nothing grinds my gears about it.

I have been lucky enogh to bowl Rachuig several times and I have always been honoured to bowl with and against some of the best bowlers in Australia.:cool: Sometimes I have had to sit on the bench:eek: and I had no problems with that as the other team members were obviously bowling much better than myself.:rolleyes:I have always been proud :D to wear the Victorian Jacket and believe that Rachuig as a Team event is one of the best.:):p:D

I don't think Rachuig is the problem, I think the selection processes and the politics involved with making teams from State to State is what gets people disillusioned with the whole tournament. Every single state has problems, maybe there should be blanket selection criteria for Australia instead of each State doing their own.

Also the cost of representation is a huge factor to most, for $2000 I can go to Asia and bowl and try and win a return on my investment. People who currently bowl Rachuig do it for passion, not the money (I commend them for that). However there is a decent percentage of Australia's best who see Rachuig as bad business decision compared to other bowling tournaments hence the absence of some of Australia's elite from this event year in and year out.

I want only the best for Australian bowling and want Rachuig to prosper but there need to be some uniform changes across the board including maybe introducing money to the top 3. I dont know all the answers, I just want it to improve.

I actually agree with you George....................

While Rachuig is for the best of the best to represent your state, it really isn't neccessary the best, it's just the best at the time who ever bothers to roll off.

I would love to see everyone there who are the best in there states represented at the nationals, but I don't see that happening.

Are they thinking of changing the format for rachuig next year?
If so why?

Get back to the old days of head to head with peterson points?
Get the Best of the Best out there!
Forget about Drafts, not really correct if you are from another state representing some one else.

And for Gods sake get back to a proper rotation of the states where it is held, not where the best price is in the eastern states only.

Some-how make it more affordable?

cheers

Tony

I don't think Rachuig is the problem, I think the selection processes and the politics involved with making teams from State to State is what gets people disillusioned with the whole tournament. Every single state has problems, maybe there should be blanket selection criteria for Australia instead of each State doing their own.

Also the cost of representation is a huge factor to most, for $2000 I can go to Asia and bowl and try and win a return on my investment. People who currently bowl Rachuig do it for passion, not the money (I commend them for that). However there is a decent percentage of Australia's best who see Rachuig as bad business decision compared to other bowling tournaments hence the absence of some of Australia's elite from this event year in and year out.

I want only the best for Australian bowling and want Rachuig to prosper but there need to be some uniform changes across the board including maybe introducing money to the top 3. I dont know all the answers, I just want it to improve.

This is a huge problem George there are to many bowlers in the country that are more woried about thier hip pocket and whats going into it yet they dont want to dish any out mate come on bolwing is suposed to be a social fun thing to do its not all about money

I havnt bowled Rachuig but have thought about it time and time again and maybe next year I may attempt to bowl (I did say maybe)

I just think that maybe some bowlers should stop thinking about shelling out money for no return and think about the sport in general

Geroge it may not be something that you are used to in going away bowling and not getting that cheque at the end of the weekend but I hate the fact its all that bowling is comming to these days is just the money they want to get its just not bowling

Think about it mate how many people would love to say I bowled against George and won that game or made him work for the win mate its more than just cash

I've got no problems with Rachuig at all, in fact the things I really like are;

1. It is so steeped in tradition, knowing how many great Australian bowlers have played in this competition over the years. I think for this reason the format should never change, except for maybe only having 6 bowlers instead of 7, to make it a greater battle of attrition. I remember seeing my first Rachuig in 1990 and it was the most amazing thing I had ever seen, I still remember it to this day.

2. The competition on the lanes is super intense, but almost always done in good spirit.

3. Off the lanes the social aspect is what really makes the tournament, I have met so many really great people and every year there seems to be more people to meet.

Maybe some monetary prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd may entice more bowlers to try out for their State teams, is it the answer I am not sure.

Maybe some sort of sponsorship to help cover team travel costs would be beneficial especially for the guys in Tas, NT and WA.

But like the others I love Rachuig

Cheers

Steve :D

I also agree with Geo that Rachuig itself is fine but there are external factors which impact on people bowling.

I do see a problem with paying the top 3. While this would encourage the better bowlers from the stronger states it wont assist a great player who just happens to be from a weaker state.

I wondered whether you pay the all star team or have a straight subsidy for all Rachuig bowlers.

The subsidy could be based on distance to where the event is or by some other means.

Though if there was a subsidy scheme to assist the bowlers attend then I believe this money should go direct to the bowlers and not the association.

At least this way the bowlers know how much they got and where it went and can ensure that it all went to Rachuig associated costs.

I too don't have all the answers and I'm not sure anyone else does but I think we are starting to see that the TBA is trying in earnest to really improve the sport and are listening so I think that everyones thoughts and suggestions will be considered.

Having bowled in the event twice with both times being away from home I too know the qualms people have about costings to represent your state. My first one was in Townsville and I was called up as a reserve so had a very short time to come up with the funds to cover the costs compared to the other bowlers. Although it was a stretch at the time I didn't hesitate to take up the opportunity. I would be interested if others would do the same and jump at the chance like I did?

The fact is however that everyone knows the costs before they decide to bowl in the qualifying so it basically comes down to who is willing to put up their hard earned in order to bowl. As previously mentioned in this thread this most often means that a lot of the elite bowlers in the state choose to pass on qualifying for the event.

I can't speak for other states but in Victoria the qualifying costs are kept to a bare minimum so the major deterrent is the cost of getting to and from the event and also to cover accommodation.

My views on selection should be well known by now so all I will say on that note is unless an Australian team event clashes with a states rolloffs their shouldn't be any. If you can't take the time to qualify like everyone else then you don't deserve to represent your state. I also think it would not be fair however for the national body to dictate to the states how to determine the way they decide their teams so I don't think a uniform qualifying format held in each state is a viable option.

Although Georges point on prizemoney is relevant I personally don't think that is the direction this event should be taken in. I instead look at the merit of Carls suggestions of an offset against out of pocket expenses rather than prizemoney. After all this appears to be the major deterrent for not fronting up these days.

If a sponsor or sponsors can be found to cover the travel and accommodation costs incurred by bowlers wanting to represent their state then we just might one day have a Rachuig that all bowlers would want to not only bowl in but just be there to watch it unfold.

We can dare to dream....

Firstly it is great to see our bowlers offering there opinions, any feedback can only be benificial towards an outcome.

I myself have bowled in two rachuigs, and I must tell you there isn't a better feeling than pulling on the colours of your state. Every bowler that has stood beside me on those occasions have shown pride and passion towards there sport at this level, and not once whilst competing are there talks on cost as to why we there.

Prior to my first Rachuig, I had heard many inspiring stories of the challenge of being there completing against the best in our sport during state rivalry. Whislt it has been said the quality of bowlers may of diminish over the years, the quality of committment by those who believe in Rachuig has not.

Yes monies can be an issue for people in our sport, But if we the bowler have enough self belief in what I consider to be the Grand Final of our sport each year, Than budget for what is required to get you there. This decision can only be made by self assessment of there planned tournament year.

Eras change, people, champions , equipment, reasons and beliefs. But Rachuig still has that implusive urge to get us there. let us not blimish the history of this great event with any negatives. As long as the bowlers that want to challenge themselves in Rachuig still keep competing, Rachuig will survive. And those that don't , good luck in what ever your choices are.

As Carl stated some sort of offset would be helpfull, how that is done I am not sure either. However if money return is important ot some or all bowlers [ Let them not be judged becaused ot that ] There is the championships and the Masters to gain some returns [ Fantastic sponsorships just announced ] for any bolwers who put themselves out there.

May any bolwers who put themselves out there in this great event have long lasting positive menories.

Cheers,
Frank.

Carls idea of offsetting the cost of Rachuig is probably the best idea i have heard out of all the ideas on the past few posts. With the sponsorships coming into TBA from AMF and others now, what about some sort of fundraising by TBA (either by making the price of membership a little higher, or by running a raffle/lotto type of idea) to make the cost zero for all State teams.

If there was no cost at all to bowl, dont you think more people would turn out to the roll-offs, which they would pay for those games making the centre who holds it and TBA a little more, and that way we could possibly get the best teams to bowl.

I dont mind the idea of the draft, but it has to be done the right way. A clause that says you must have rolled off for your state and only a certain amount, say 8th to 10th in the roll-offs could draft. It may not be perfect but with a bit of work the draft system may become viable for the states that have and could still struggle to make up numbers.

Just my opinion.
Phillip Fagg

Love Rachuig, no real need for any changes to format.

Though i do agree with a lot of people here that if there were a way to make participation cheaper or even free combined with the big dollars now on offer with masters (thanks AMF/TBA) might see some of the higher profile players come out to play.

It might hurt some of the teams but a return to the old scoring system would be the only thing i might change.

Hey Faggy...
Good thinking about the draft, but what happens if there's no states with people who nominated and didn't make the team? From what I've heard, that was the situation this year for the women.

Back
Top Bottom