Qantas Changes to Baggage Allowance

Tintam

Check out the small print on Qantas website - are they to follow Virgin ???

Checked Baggage

Important Changes to your Checked Baggage Allowance

From 1 December 2008, we are introducing a new checked baggage allowance that makes it easier when you travel with Qantas. The new allowances apply to any tickets purchased from 1 December 2008 for travel from 1 March 2009.

Note: If you have already purchased your ticket and are travelling between 1 December 2008 and 28 February 2009 inclusive, the new baggage policy will not apply. The current checked baggage policy applies to these tickets.

New Checked Baggage Allowance

We have aligned our Domestic and International checked baggage allowances using a weight system. So, if you're travelling in Economy on a domestic or international flight with Qantas you will now have a maximum free baggage allowance of up to 23kg (50lb).

For more information please refer to the New Checked Baggage Allowance table below.

Additional Collection

Additional Collection rates have also been simplified. Charges will apply per kilogram (2.2lb) for any total baggage weights exceeding the 23kg (50lb) allowance to a maximum of 32kg (70lb) per piece.

Are they not wanting us to fly at all with our bowling equipment because seriously its just getting beyond a joke?

Why cant they just work out a fair system for everyone so it allows people to still get their moneys worth and be able to fly with sporting equipment?

seriously

Ill be phoning Qantas to try and sort out some kind of agreement for sporting equipment. I swapped from Virgin back to qantas for their baggage and now this has all but ended me travelling to tournaments because not only did the bowlers from the west have a hefty airfare to cop, now we have excess baggage on top and seems like it may cost more to get somewhere than what we can win...........ill see what i come up

The problem of excess weight from sporting equipment needs to have some support from the NSO regards appealing to airlines. Other sporting organisations have had some success with this - if only for the National Events or Ranked events.

How do other bowlers send their equipment: freight, unaccompanied luggage, etc. Need to help each other with info.

Leanne

Maybe we all just have to take 1 ball everywhere again? :D Nah didnt think so :p

One-Ball tournament. I read up last year that in England you pay for entry and you get the ball as well. Everyone has to use the same ball and it can be drilled any way as long as its legal. Might not be a bad concept.

just out of curiousity, what is the excess rate per kilo above the 23kgs for qantas and virgin nowadays?

can someone post both on this topic please?

JetStar charge $20.00 for 5kgs extra if you purchase before travelling.It's $10.00 a kilo if you have excess luggage and don't prepay.

Four 15lb balls weight around 29-30kg.

This works if you can get all your clothes into a hand luggage bag.

With Virgin, if you purchased a baggage allowance of 23kgs at the same time as booking your fare, it is an extra $8. (They charge $20 if you purchase this on checking in at departure time, so suggest you pay the $8) !!

They then allow you an extra 5kgs for your sporting equipment.

I take a 2 ball roller (20kgs), and a tote bag with 2 balls (14kgs), and carry my bowling shoes inside my weekender bag in the cabin.
Then means I am over 6kgs, for which I pay excess of $8 per kg. Same on return flight!!!

In all my travels in 2008, only once have I had to pay more, and that was because I took my favourite sponsor (husband, platinum Qantas member) and we arrived late, he whinged about the time it took to check in, and upset the already crabby lady at the check in counter. Note here - always arrive early, be pleasant and take your Qantas labels off your baggage.

Happy travelling in 2009 fellow bowlers.:D
Have a Merry Christmas, and a safe and Happy New Year.:) :)
Tintam.

ATTN ALL BOWLERS WHO TRAVEL!!!!!

I HAVE SPOKEN WITH QANTAS TODAY, AND HAVE HAD A BIT OF SUCCESS. WHILST QANTAS DOES NOT RECOGNISE BOWLING EQUIPMENT AS "SPORTING EQUIPMENT" AT THE MOMENT, THE LADY (AND SUPERVISOR) I SPOKE TO TODAY SAID THAT WITH ENOUGH "DEMAND" (FOR LACK OF A BETTER WORD) FOR BOWLING EQUIPMENT TO BE CLASSIFIED AS SPORTING GOODS, THEN QANTAS WILL LOOK INTO ADDING OUR SPORT ONTO THEIR LIST TO GAIN EXTRA BAGGAGE ALLOWANCES.

QANTAS HAVE TOLD ME THAT THE ONLY PEOPLE THAT CAN ARRANGE THIS WITH THE AIRLINE IS OUR GOVERNING BODY. I HAVE EMAILED GILLIAN TODAY TO SEE IF SHE CAN ASSIST US IN THIS PROJECT, AND I PROPOSE A PETITION. I BELIEVE IF WE COLLECT ENOUGH SIGNATURES FROM BOWLERS AROUND AUSTRALIA, QANTAS THEN MAY LOOK AT ADDING US ONTO THEIR SPORTING GOODS LIST AND EASING OUR POCKETS OF HEFTY EXCESS BAGGAGE CHARGES IN THE FUTURE.

I WILL SEE WHAT RESPONSE I GET FROM GILLIAN AND SEE WHERE WE CAN GO FROM THERE.

good luck with the response. by current trends though, i wouldnt be holding my breath. but am keen to see what comes of this. best of luck mate.

TBA are currently in contact with Qantas with regards to getting some benefits for their members and I have sent a copy of Matts last post to John Coxon for his information.

Hopefully something will come of it.

Merry Xmas to All
:):):)

Hey matty, Did Gillian get back to you on this process or are we all sitting in the dark like always??

Cheers Ash

I am surprsied no one has mentioned if you are a Qantas Club member you get double the allowance. All the top guys are so they can take their gear around and also get to use the lounges at the airports, not to mention the ability to alter flights if you are kind asking.

not all of us though can afford qantas club membership! i used to have it in a past life when i could afford but nowadays no can do. so something needs to be done for the wider community here.

i have the same question to matt as per peanut.any further word?

that's something I didn't know, and would be worth investigating if we were going to be travelling the circuit this year........thanks Terry

Hi All,

As a Qantas Club Member I can assure you that our baggage allowance has been affected as well.

In the past we could take 2 pcs of luggage up to 32kg each. With the new weight charges we get 10kg extra over the free allowance of 23kg, which has halved our domestic baggage allowance and it would probably be cheaper to pay the excess baggage than rejoin the Qantas Club

Another idea is to fly with Virgin as their airfares are cheaper which would cover the cost of the extra kgs and you can pay $30 to visit their lounge if you have a long wait at the airport.

:):):)

Back
Top Bottom