New Virgin Baggage Rules

As if numbers to tournaments isnt bad enough. Probably has killed interstate entrys to tournaments with the change.

Anyone purchasing tickets prior to August 18th for flying later in the year should make sure that they outline when they bought the tickets and that the old baggage carrying criteria is applicable in their case not the new one.

You will find however that you will get the old 20 kg checked luggage with 5 kg per sporting bag (not 5 kg for all sporting bags a person checked in as you sometimes got in the past). You will need to work on the 20 kg per person limit before $8 per kg will apply.

If someone is travelling with you and they are travelling lite then ask them to check in a sporting bag for you as that may help rpevent you occurring any charges.

Just rang and got confirmed that our trip to SPC in September would be on the old 5 kg per tote regardless of weight policy.

Hi,

Just spoke to Virgin and confirmed the following weight policy for tickets purchased before 18 August 2008.

Every travller is entitled to 23kgs of luggage. Each bowling bag counts as 5kgs.

So if you travel with two bowling bags which count as 10kgs then you can only take 13kgs of extra luggage.

So the trick would be to take 3 bowl bags instead of two ball bags and also take as much hand luggage as possible.

You will be charged $8.00 for every extra kilo over the 23kgs.

Hi,
Just spoke to Virgin and confirmed the following weight policy for tickets purchased before 18 August 2008.
Every travller is entitled to 23kgs of luggage. Each bowling bag counts as 5kgs.
So if you travel with two bowling bags which count as 10kgs then you can only take 13kgs of extra luggage.
So the trick would be to take 3 bowl bags instead of two ball bags and also take as much hand luggage as possible.
You will be charged $8.00 for every extra kilo over the 23kgs.

After almost being charged last night i can tell you that this IS NOT the case.

The only thing that virgin are now wiving, is the purchase price of the checked baggage. They will only give you an extra 5kgs for your sporting equipment, but unfortunately the bags will be weighed as their actual weight.

I had 2 3 ball totes and a sports bag with other bowling things and my clothes in it last night, and they wanted to charge me over $250 excess.

But becuase i wasnt charged going from Perth to Melbourne on thursday night, they honoured that on the way back so i didnt pay, however, i checked our teams booking Rachuig in a few weeks time and was told that we would have 28kgs of checked baggage at no cost, but all the bags would be weighed as the actual weight of the bags.

I did have the printout from their website saying that any bookings made prior to the 18th of August would be honoured, but the staff at melbourne also pointed out on the terms and conditions of the fares that the baggage policy can change without warning and that nothing can honoured.

So just watch out if you have any more bookings with Virgin Blue because they more than likely wont honour your old baggage policy, even if you have it in writing.

And i was not the only one who was looking to be charged, 3 of us checked in at the same time, with different people and between the 3 o us there was almost $700 excess.

Very dark times for interstaters to travel to tournaments.

I know im only booking on Qantas from now on.

Matt Watson

Hi Matt,

Good to see that you weren't charged but they were wrong.

Below is what is on their website.

Question
Can I take my sporting equipment?

Answer
Guidelines for Guests who purchase their fare on or after 18 August 2008, for travel on or after 1 September 2008

If you are travelling with Sports Equipment, you will be eligible to check-in an extra 5kg of baggage allowance free of charge. This additional allowance is allocated above your purchased checked baggage allowance for Blue Saver or GO! Fares or above the inclusive checked baggage allowance for Velocity Gold and Silver Members or for Guests travelling on Flexible, Corporate Plus or Premium Economy fares.

Excess baggage charges will apply once the full allowance, including the additional 5kg allowance, has been exceeded.

If you are taking only sporting goods and you are travelling on a Blue Saver or GO! fare, you will still be required to purchase the checked baggage allowance of up to 23 kg. Remember you can pre-purchase this allowance for $8 per flight before you arrive at the airport otherwise you will be charged a $20 fee at the airport.

For example, if you have purchased a baggage allowance of 23kg, and are travelling with a bike, you will be eligible for a total checked baggage allowance of 28kg. If your bike weighs 10kg, you will be able to take additional checked baggage (such as a suitcase) weighing up to 18kg.

Sporting Equipment includes but is not restricted to:

· Bikes

· Golf clubs

· Snow skis

· Surfboards

· Cricket/tennis bags

Guidelines for Guests travelling prior to 1 September 2008, or who purchased their fare prior to 18 August 2008

Sports equipment counts as part of your free baggage allowance. Each item individually represents 5kgs of your free total baggage allowance, regardless of the actual weight of the item.

For example, a bike that weighs 10kg will represent 5kg of your free baggage allowance. If your allowance is 20kg, you will have 15kg left for other items. These items include but are not restricted to:

· Bikes

· Golf clubs

· Snow skis

· Surfboards

· Cricket/tennis bags

Hi Glenn

I had exactly what you put there in writing and showed them, but their head management have told them differently and unfotunately, they didnt give a rats a** that we had it in writing.

It really is unfortunate to see them doing what they have done, but as we were told by the head supervisor last night "we are only doing it to stay in competition with other airlines."

Matt

Hi All Virgin Travellers

Maybe it would be more cost effective to fly with our other airline, Qantas when booking after 1st September. I know that Virgin have cheap airfares but if you do your homework with Qantas they too can have some reasonable prices and will not charge you the exorbitant baggage rates that Virgin are introducing.

Qantas allows interstate economy travellers 1 pce of checked-in baggage up to 32kg (3 ball bag) with a flat rate of $22.00 for each extra piece. Carry on baggage regulations is the same as Virgin.

Being a Silver Frequent Flyer OR if you belong to the Qantas Club you are allowed 2pces up to 32kg. But it is certainly not worth while joining the Qantas Club unless you do a lot of travelling.

Susanne
:):)

I purchased my tickets for spc in June and rang up 2 weeks ago and got it noted on my tickets that each tote would count as 5kg .Will find out on thursday if they want to go back on that one too.

Hi Glenn

I had exactly what you put there in writing and showed them, but their head management have told them differently and unfotunately, they didnt give a rats a** that we had it in writing.

It really is unfortunate to see them doing what they have done, but as we were told by the head supervisor last night "we are only doing it to stay in competition with other airlines."

Matt

You must have had the same Girl that I had for check in.

Luke Kairn who went through just before me got in under the old rules, instead I had to argue for 30 minutes about the old rules.

She was the only one in the area who was saying this and the rest were under the impression that it was the old rules.

I'll be checking the website up until Rachuig and if it hasn't changed on the way to Rachuig, then I'll be printing it out the night before I leave.

I also got let off the charges. Sounds like you had the exact same person I had because it was exactly how you described.

Good luck to anyone travelling on Virgin flights.

Spent 30 mins discussing the baggage rules with an oparator this morning.

The problem is they don't understand what is on their website. It clearly states that if you purchased you ticket before 18 August the old baggage rule applies. They are telling me that if you travel after 1 September the new rules apply regardless of when you purchased your ticket.

So I am going out to the airport with the printout and hopefully I get someone who understands what is written.

Will see what happens today when i fly up to SPC this afternoon.

Chris
PS I had the same problem the other night.

Hi All,
Some of the ATBSOQ team members are flying out with Virgin over the next few days and we have already had 1 member pushed to pay excess luggage and her ticket was bought in October 2007.
By standing her ground and confidence in an email I had sent regarding what their customer contact centre had stated .. the Staff then waived the excess luggage fee.

I have just spent time again today with the Virgin Customer Contact Centre re- confirming what I was told and to quote them:-
* tickets bought before 17th August 2008 ARE under the old luggage
conditions -. that is.. each bag weights in at 5kg of your total 20 kg allowance **** please note 20kg for old conditions

anything that is over the total 20kgs will be charged at normal rate

and a notation on Lawries ticket regarding the sporting equiptment.

I brought up the fact that the staff and Supervisors at the checkin counters Australia wide, do not understand the new rules and will argue with you in this matter so I was advised to let them know that this is the Customer Contact Centre ruling on this matter.

I was also advised on this - anyone who has travelled since the 17th August on a ticket bought BEFORE that date and been charged excess luggage contact Virgin at the Customer Contact Centre as they will look into it for you

best advise - Ring Virgin and get them to make a notation on YOUR ticket

hope this helps
Chilly

WA ATBSO members fly to Adelaide this week. Tickets were purchased before the new rules. No one paid excess baggage, all balls and personal bags went under the old rules of 5 kgs per bag for sporting equipment.
The remainder of our group travel over tomorrow and we are not expecting any problems.
tintam

Back
Top Bottom