New Virgin Baggage Rules

bm2

I'm still standin'
Have just taken this from the Virgin Blue Website.......

2(a). New Baggage Fees (refer to table further below)
Virgin Blue will introduce a new “pay for weight” baggage policy which will apply to Virgin Blue and Pacific Blue domestic flights for fares booked from Monday 18 August on flights departing from Monday 1 September 2008. This policy replaces the current allowance of up to 20kg of free checked baggage.
A flat fee of $8 will apply for an increased allowance of 23 kgs of checked baggage for Guests travelling on all discount fares including new “Go Fares!” and “Blue Saver” fares when purchased online or through Virgin Blue’s Guest Contact Centre as part of the booking process. If the checked baggage allowance has not been pre-purchased, a $20 charge for up to 23kgs will apply at airport check-in.
The new baggage policy will include:
Increased baggage allowances and exemptions for families, with infant equipment (such as prams, portable cots and car seats) to be carried free of charge
For Guests with special needs, mobility aids (such as wheelchairs and special medical equipment and similar) will continue to be carried free of charge.
Guests travelling with sporting equipment (such as bikes, surfboards, skis and tennis bags) are also eligible for an extra 5kg of baggage.
No fees will apply for baggage up to 23kgs for Velocity Silver Members and Guests travelling on “Flexible Fares”.
No fees will apply for baggage up to 32kgs for Velocity Gold Members and Guests travelling on “Corporate Plus” and “Premium Economy” fares.
2(b). New Excess Baggage Fees (refer to table further below)
New Excess Baggage fees will apply from 1 September 2008. Virgin Blue and Pacific Blue domestic excess fees will be $8 per kg for baggage over 23kg (or over 32kg for Premium Economy, Corporate Plus and Velocity Gold Member travellers).

Looks like travelling on cheaper airfares with the bowling balls AS WELL AS a change of clothes for the couple of days you go away for is going to be very quickly a thing of the past........:surrender:

Have just gotten off the phone to Virgin. The lady I spoke to was very nice, and assured me that pre-existing bookings are exempt from the new changes, they will apply to all new bookings made from 18th August. I don't think she fully understood the new sporting equipment policy tho, as she said that the bowling balls would still be 5kg - but reading the policy again, we get an extra 5 kgs allowance for sporting equipment, and not the 5kg per bag that we have all grown accustomed to!

So I would strongly suggest that if you already have a booking with Virgin, get on the blower to Virgin now, and make sure that your reservation has the sporting equipment notation on the record, just to cover yourself!;)

Last time i flew with my gear (3 balls - 20kgs). They were supposed to charge me an extra $20. They waived it, so there are instances where they are very nice and look after you :)

im going to adelaide this year for the holt carnival and i have already booked and payed for my tickets back in may so according to the rule change i should be going on the old rules and 5kgs would be for my bowling bag and the other 15kgs would cover my suitcase and if this is so then i should be fine and the new rules wont count.

If your flight is booked and payed for prior to august 18th the current policy applies. Flights purchased after August 18th will have the new policy apply.

Example:

The first bowling bag will be 5kg (new sporting allowance) taken from the 20 or 23 kg allowance but the second one will be at the weight it weighs at.

So where two ball tote bags would have been the best before it appears the three ball roller bag is now the best option.

Yes tournaments interstate are even less attractive again.

*****The first bowling bag will be 5kg (new sporting allowance) taken from the 20 or 23 kg allowance ******

be careful with this one as I spent an hour on the phone checking this out as Lawrie usually travels with 2 x 3ball rollers (30kg each) and was told ONLY 5kg of the bag would be added to weight allowance and the balance of the two bags would be charged at $8 per kg for flights bought AFTER 17th August

best advice - talk to virgin BEFORE getting to the airport

cheers
Carol

*****The first bowling bag will be 5kg (new sporting allowance) taken from the 20 or 23 kg allowance ******
be careful with this one as I spent an hour on the phone checking this out as Lawrie usually travels with 2 x 3ball rollers (30kg each) and was told ONLY 5kg of the bag would be added to weight allowance and the balance of the two bags would be charged at $8 per kg for flights bought AFTER 17th August
best advice - talk to virgin BEFORE getting to the airport
cheers
Carol

Did they mention what would apply if you already have bookings made? as i was told that the same would apply for bookings made prior to the new date and was also informed that it will be at the discretion of the staff member checking you in.

Seems that Virgin don't even know what their new baggage policy says considering we have several posts in the thread saying different things.......

Still better than Jetstar. I'll just take a 3 balll roller and a tote should just make 20kg. And carry on bag with clothes.

Just as an indication, Jagga's 3 ball rolling tote weighed in at 23kgs at Brisbane, and 21kgs in Adelaide (must have been the wind chill factor!)- he bowls mid 14lbers.......

This is what I was sent from Velocity to my email today:

To keep our fares as low as possible, we
felt the fairest way to deal with our rising costs was to pass
on a pay-for-weight baggage charge.

The whats and whens.

The new pay-for-weight plan kicks in on fares booked from 18
August for travel from 1 September 2008.

If flying on Blue Saver or Promo fares:

- If you pre-pay online there'll be a flat $8 fee for up to 23kg of check-in baggage.
- If you don't pre-pay online, there'll be a flat $20 fee charged at check-in.
- Baggage over the 23kg allowance will be charged at $8 per kilo.

If you fly the following fares, it's the $8 per kilo excess
only:

- On Flexible fares you can fly with up to 23kg of check-in baggage at no cost.
- On Premium Economy or Corporate Plus you get a bonus allowance, taking it up to 32kg.

What about carry-on baggage?

It's business as usual here. Just remember that your carry-on
gear must weigh no more than 7kg and not exceed a total linear
dimension of 105cm (23cm D x 34cm H x 48cm L). And of course
you're welcome to bring along other personal stuff like
handbags, laptops and coats.

The exemptions.

For families travelling with an infant, there's still no charge
for the essentials like portable cots and prams. And if you need
any special assistance, mobility aids also carry no cost.

If you want to bring your golf clubs, surfboard or other
sporting goods, you get another 5kg on your 23kg allowance (so
the excess charge will only apply if your total baggage is over
28kg).

Interesting...

4 x 15lb balls in totes just makes it. (If the scales are correct.) Providing all your other stuff (Clothes, shoes etc goes in carry-on.)

Or just choose another airline!

Direct from Virgin website today:

Return to FAQ Home

Question
Can I take my sporting equipment?

Answer
Guidelines for Guests who purchase their fare on or after 18 August 2008, for travel on or after 1 September 2008

If you are travelling with Sports Equipment, you will be eligible to check-in an extra 5kg of baggage allowance free of charge. This additional allowance is allocated above your purchased checked baggage allowance for Blue Saver or GO! Fares or above the inclusive checked baggage allowance for Velocity Gold and Silver Members or for Guests travelling on Flexible, Corporate Plus or Premium Economy fares.

Excess baggage charges will apply once the full allowance, including the additional 5kg allowance, has been exceeded.

If you are taking only sporting goods and you are travelling on a Blue Saver or GO! fare, you will still be required to purchase the checked baggage allowance of up to 23 kg. Remember you can pre-purchase this allowance for $8 per flight before you arrive at the airport otherwise you will be charged a $20 fee at the airport.

For example, if you have purchased a baggage allowance of 23kg, and are travelling with a bike, you will be eligible for a total checked baggage allowance of 28kg. If your bike weighs 10kg, you will be able to take additional checked baggage (such as a suitcase) weighing up to 18kg.
Sporting Equipment includes but is not restricted to:
· Bikes
· Golf clubs
· Snow skis
· Surfboards
· Cricket/tennis bags

Guidelines for Guests travelling prior to 1 September 2008, or who purchased their fare prior to 18 August 2008

Sports equipment counts as part of your free baggage allowance. Each item individually represents 5kgs of your free total baggage allowance, regardless of the actual weight of the item.
For example, a bike that weighs 10kg will represent 5kg of your free baggage allowance. If your allowance is 20kg, you will have 15kg left for other items. These items include but are not restricted to:
· Bikes
· Golf clubs
· Snow skis
· Surfboards
· Cricket/tennis bags

How well did this answer your question?
100% 75% 50% 25% 0%

Yes thats right everything purchased before 18th of August is on the Old Policy.

Thats not quite true.

I rang them today (knowing that the policy kicked in today) to clarify for tickets i have for september and october, and they tried to scam me with the new policy. So after explaining it to them that i purchased the ticket back in may, she spoke to not one, but 2 supervisors to clarify if the old policy is still in effect for anything.

I got the old policy confirmed for my two tickets, but i wouldnt take that for granted, if you have ANY tickets currently with virgin blue, i urge you to contact them to clarify because you may rock up to the airport to find yourself with a rather hefty excess baggage bill waiting for your bowling balls.

Matt

looks like i will be shopping for a new backpack for clothes...

so anybody know the best airline now? or did the cost of tournaments just go up again?

Given that you take all your luggage and bowling accessories in carry on.

Take 6 balls and fly with Virgin and you pay around an extra $260 on a round trip.
Take 4 balls and fly with Virgin and you might pay some extra if your counter attendant doesn't like the look of you.

If you want to fly with Qantas you will have to pack your balls into a 4 ball box. This is because Qantas only lets economy passengers check one piece of baggage in. Putting as much as you can into one box without going over 32kg will save you $20 each way. Taking 4 balls on Qantas won't have you paying any excess but if you take 6 balls then you are looking at $40 on a round trip.

Hope I've done my sums and check the baggage rules right!!

Factor that into your prices when you're shopping around for flights and you will know the real price

looks like i will be shopping for a new backpack for clothes...
so anybody know the best airline now? or did the cost of tournaments just go up again?

Qantas or Tiger Airways and with tiger u get cheap flight and just pay for the sports package. Who knows will find out shortly.

Back
Top Bottom