Ordering equipment from the States

bm2

I'm still standin'
Can anyone who has ever purchased bowling euipment from the States via the internet, advise on what charges, if any, they had to pay when the goods arrived in Australia...we have been told that if it is for your own personal use, and not "bulk" consignments, then there is no duty to be paid, but would like to hear from anyone who has bought stuff over...could be the difference between buying a cheap ball from the net (especially with the dollar looking so good right now), and the higher price charged in pro shops over here.

Broni & Jagga

I have successfully ordered a ball, wrist guard, shoes and other bits and pieces, at different times from a web site. They have always been delivered to my door by courier with no hassles at all regarding duty. The ball was the most successful, cost me $90 US on special and another $30 us for courier charge, however it did arrive in 6 days!! The wrist guard took 3 weeks I should add, so 6 days must have been some record. A friend of mine faxed over her drilling specs, and the ball was delivered drilled. Regarding the shoes, the "shop" emailed me asking if I was sure about the size as US sizes for womens shoes are different to ours. That's very thoughtful dont you think?

I had a ball sent over from the States.
It was bought for me by a friend of mine and there was no worries with duty etc. But by time I paid postage and had it drilled here it cost me more than I could have bought the same ball for here.
That was a few months ago when the Aussie $ was considerably lower than it is now. Things could be different now.
I have also bought a few other things (shirts etc) from on-line pro shop and have never had to pay any duty.
Greig.

Going back 3-4 years now I ordered a whole heap of equipment. Two balls, two 4-ball rollers, shirt, towels, accessories etc. and for memory I only paid $75 for courier fees and shipping all up to have it delivered to my door in 3 days. Couldn't believe it. I was stoked.

I'm hunting for for older 'ball' shirts over there so i'm interested to see an estimate of what i'd be up for, and whats the best way to get it sent, supposedly US postal service is to be avoided at all costs, a lot of people seem to ship with UPS for ground freight over there, i guess i'll see what the sellers want to do.

It sounds good, but be very careful.
You do not have to pay duty on bowling equipment because there is no bowling manufacturer in Australia for them to compete with, however, if you don't bring about twelve balls over it will cost you about $100 Aus in freight per ball + GST, and don't be fooled into thinking you will just pay ten percent GST on the price of the ball. They sting you pretty hard! On average about $50 per ball!

It sounds like a few people have got some gear into the country without having to pay all the extras, and good luck too ya. I wish i could.
Just be careful that when your two cheap bowling balls arrive at the door that the courier doesn't say that will be another $145 please, because that is what is supposed to happen.

In theory it will cost you about the same as you will pay from a pro shop here in the end. But hey it can't hurt to try. Maybe you will be lucky and avoid the extras and maybe you wont, it is the risk you will have to take.

So far to date i have been charged the extras on everything from a couple of balls for me to a full pro shop order.

I can give you all the details at league on Thursday night Jagga.

Ronnie

I've purchased over the Net to the States a couple of times now. I found that as long as you keep the overall total below a certain amount you will find that the courier company will not slug you extra with duties and other gov taxes. I found out that if they do charge you then you will be looking at 10% for bowling balls and 5% for bowling shoes. Then they add on top of that 10% GST so you will be paying tax on tax.

To get around this you need to keep the total cost below $150US coming in. That does not include shipping. Shipping should not appear on the invoice statement. You keep it at that figure and you will not be slugged with duties and taxes.

I recently bought a ball and cleaner for $149.95US via FedExpress and no extra charges. It arrived in 3 days.

If you get charged extra in duties and taxes you find it doesn't compare to buying local via a proshop as the extra cost is $+70AUS and that depends on the total order. One order we had an extra $130 or $160 on charges and in another experience I had an extra $97 on top of the order.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Vi

Lefty said:
I have successfully ordered a ball, wrist guard, shoes and other bits and pieces, at different times from a web site. They have always been delivered to my door by courier with no hassles at all regarding duty. The ball was the most successful, cost me $90 US on special and another $30 us for courier charge, however it did arrive in 6 days!! The wrist guard took 3 weeks I should add, so 6 days must have been some record. A friend of mine faxed over her drilling specs, and the ball was delivered drilled. Regarding the shoes, the "shop" emailed me asking if I was sure about the size as US sizes for womens shoes are different to ours. That's very thoughtful dont you think?

Who did you ship with? USPS is about the cheapest out there, thats around that price for surface freight though (4-6 weeks).

Customs Duties on Bowling Equipment

Hi all, I work alongside and in the same building as customs near Brisbane airport. I will suss out the deal with importing bowling equipment straight from the horses mouth (so to speak).

So let me understand this!

Some of those people who have written into this topic would rather buy from the US similar equipment [by and large] that they can buy here - for around about the same price they can buy here [give or take a few dollars] - yet for some reason they would rather buy from some no name middle man from the US and take all the relative risks/costs doing so via the internet?

Is it any wonder local trade sponsors are hard to find for tournaments in this country if this is the type of "loyalty" one can enjoy from the locals?

Does this negatively effect the primary manufacturers - I represent one that says NO - because a ball sale is a ball sale from a makers standpoint. But does it impact on the viability of local pro shops, distributors and dealers who have a business to run HERE, mouths to feed HERE and who locally support events HERE.....damned right!

Please, someone, anyone, tell me the event name and the financial support given by any US based I/Net bowling supplier in this country.....ever?! In fact I'll give you a broader field to select from - name any US based wholesaler - mail order house or similar - name the event and the amount funded?

Silence....... well what a surprise - of course there is dead silence because none has .....I could list a dozen pro shop operators, dealers and distributors in this county that contribute to major/minor events year in and year out, and if YOU are a tournament bowler in this country and you can't name at least a few of them then you should be bloody ashamed.

Will you people never learn!

Steve Jones

Steve.. You have a valid point, but that's not reason enough for the local merchant/distributor to gouge us on prices.
I have yet to find an Australian pro-shop operator who was willing to match the overseas price. (including shipping)
Could that be that the reason so many sales have gone to overseas internet pro-shops? The Australian equipment dealers are just cutting their own throats by being so pigheaded or greedy (you choose which)

upyours

Now hang on a second Steve. I notice at the start of your post you said "Some people". Thats right, at the time I ordered a fair bit of gear from O/S and when the dollar was as strong as it was back then I saved a considerable amount of money. If I was only buying a single ball or something, I would definately purchase it from our shores.(like I do) Sure there can be risks in ordering from O/S but in my experience I could not have been any more happier. For memory I bought 2x balls, 2x 4ball rollers, 1pair of Dexters, 2x Towels, heaps of bowlers tape and a Storm shirt for the amount of approx $1200.00 aussie dollars. Now for me it was convienent, as I said it was delivered to my door and in the end the final word comes down to "I HAVE TO LOOK AFTER MYSELF AS I AM THE ONE PAYING FOR IT" thats business!!! But in ending I personally think just to order a single ball from O/S is a little pointless! There are plenty of pro-shops here that if you do a bit of shopping around and bargining you can get a great price. After all its all a part of BUSINESS!!!
This is just my opinion.

From a Pro-Shop Operators Perspective

Bowlers importing single balls or shoes (always the latest Storm, Columbia and Dexter stuff) may save $50 or so is a fact of life, but when they bring in a few at once they always get slugged by the government charges (that we in business have to pay all the time) and then the equipment always costs them more than the Australian price. AND DO THEY ALL COMPLAIN ABOUT IT TOO!

I own and operate a 100% independent pro-shop, over the years bowlers have proved to me over and over again that when it comes to equipment price pricing talks.

I accept the fact that some euipment will always be available from someone else at a cheaper price and that is a fact I have learned to live with.

Purchasing equipment from overseas

The reason I bought overseas was simple - what I wanted was not available here. It had nothing to do with price or supplier. It was 10 years ago I might add.

Your comments are a little inflammatory by the way. We are all entitled to spend our hard earned dollars when and where we like. The name of the game is "customer service" these days, there are very few pro shops and ball drillers around in my area to give advice and/or service. The best one for me is a 90 minute drive, and he trying to do the work of 3 people currently as his services are highly regarded.

It is my policy to support local services where they exist, however if you want something a little different to what is stocked locally, you have to go elsewhere. Some pro shops only handle a certain make of equipment and the vendors are not always keen on ordering equipment from another supplier.

:? Perhaps Steve should hang on just a minute..... :?

Since we arrived in Qld a little over 12 months ago, we have well and truly supported our local pro shop - complete replugs and drills, not to mention more than enough balls to fill a 4 bag ball carrier, and to this end we will continue to trade through him whenever possible, as the service we get is exemplary and well worth the money that we spend.

However.... why should we not take advantage of cheaper prices if that option is open to us, and with delivery so quick??? In March, we placed an order for 2 6-ball rollers through our pro shop. He in turn, had to order it via another supplier in Brisbane somewhere. It is now July, and through no fault of our pro shop operator, we still have no idea when our ordered goods are going to arrive. Had we ordered them via the internet, we could have had them weeks ago. We are hanging off ordering them ourselves that way now, as we do not want our pro shop to be left with the parcel that he may not be able to resell.

We will spend our dollars where we see the best value for them - but don't ever suggest that we are not supporting the home town boys :x

Broni and Jagga

Equipment prices available from some US I/Net providers ARE very often cheaper than those available here - that's the entire point. They are this way because these people see a sale in Australia as an incremental one - requiring no commitment. The reason pricing is often more expensive here from local providers is because many support events here - they build in a satisfactory margin to operate, feed their families and give something back to the game - HERE!

Anyone of course can justify their own actions as piously as they wish, one can use "business" as being some sort of justification and you can declare words to be "inflamatory" [the actual intention by the way].

What is indisputable is this - locals support local events - local support is essential to these events and it will not remain if business is consistently sent off shore. Justify whatever happens however you wish - nothing will alter this as fact.

Oh - to Broni and Jagga, I suggest you reread my original email - how you can read the words in that email and somehow believe you qualify as a target of my comments is beyond me...it seems to me you are exactly the sort of people that this sport needs in Australia.

Steve Jones

OK, there has been a lot of comment on this subject and it is time to weigh in with some facts.

Certainly your local pro shop cant compete with the internet site in the US and it is mainly because the price WE pay for our stock is only marginally less than what these discount sites charge you! What you have to remember is that we (in the main) have to get our stock from distributors who in turn have to make their profit in order to stay in business.

In pricing my stock, I have to take into account the price to me, my margin (including my expertise and time), freight, GST and other expenses (shop lease etc) in order to come up with a price that is reasonable but also allows me to make a living!

Yes, thats right THIS IS MY LIVING!!!!!!!. You can see why there are so few independent pro shop operators on a full time basis in this country when there is such competition from US internet sites. Sure we can match their prices IF WE WANT TO GO BANKRUPT IN A VERY SHORT SPACE OF TIME!!!!!!.

Now you ask how I can justify my pricing. There are several aspects:

1. As a result of my experience in the sport, I can advise the bowler on the best ball/layout options for what the player wants from the ball.

2. I am on site 45 hours a week and available to fit the ball as required

3. Cost of drilling and fitting is included in the shelf price of the ball

4. I can ensure to the best of my ability to get the top weight and pin position required for the player.

5. I am in a position to ensure the customer isnt sold a "blem" or second

6. Warranty issues can be handled quickly and easily.

7. Adjustments can be made at any time as required by the player.

These are issues that the internet sites in the US CAN'T compete with the local pro shops. Local knowledge and expertise is invaluable in ensuring the customer gets the best value possible from their purchase.

Finally, expertise and experience DON'T COME FREE! I get sick and tired of people who seek to devalue my expertise and experience by trying to bargain down my prices to a point where I make next to nothing in a ball. Comments like:

"You're making $50 on the ball, be grateful for that!"

Well, if that is how you value the expertise and local knowledge of your pro shop operator, consider how you would go trying the same thing on with your local golf pro. I understand the perceived need to save money on bowling purchases, but is it worth it when the risks are weighed up as well?

Steve Jones makes a point to in relation to sponsorship by local pro shops. I am part sponsoring 3 tournaments this year at a considerable cost to my business. Sure this can be written off against tax, but it still is money that needs to be found and that is taken out of cash flow, which still has to pay for lease, stock maintenance etc.

So next time you try to bargain down your local pro shop operator, let him at least make enuff to make a living. Otherwise theremight not be many shops left to buy your smaller purchases, get adjustments made etc,

Back on topic, the people who have had bowling gear shipped over before, who did you ship with?

And for the record, i have always found my local proshop to be able to do some form of deal and as such they get my purchase. I would be doing the same thing again if it wasnt for the simple fact that i want a ball that is hard to find over here, and the few instances where i have seen it here, the prices have been way too high for discontinued stock.

Well said Steve!

Pro-shops and distributors that sponsor tournaments are not getting any return from Joe Blow off the streets they can only survive by the support of bowlers.

Who are the first to complain if the latest ball is not in the country?
Who are the first to complain when the pinsetter doesn't run right because the parts are not available from the distributor, because the price according to the center proprietor is too expensive, because the distributor has had to put his price up because he is not getting the turn-over, because customers are buying off-shore?

THE CUSTOMER that caused the vicious circle in the first place!

Supply and Demand

As i said before, equipment is price driven by the customer, so the whole internet sales strategy is based on selling product at just above wholesale cost, that means high turnover is required to make money.
If you are a small operation and have population which the USA has then it can be very lucrative for you.
What the bowler has in fact done is buy at wholesale prices, got out of paying the government charges and GST, saved on my retail margin, this margin is my wages, yes wages and it has to cover my rent, power, stock, food, petrol, advertising, car, bowling costs and so on that is required to keep my shop open.

Therefore i can accept that a bowler will try and buy international if the price is right, but what i cannot accept is the same bowler then telling me that I am ripping off customers with my prices.

Back
Top Bottom