New Offical Name For Lidcombe Bowl

Just seen some photo's and I'm very impressed. Can't wait to see it in person. Just wondering how many lanes does Tenpin City have??

Just to answer some questions regarding this centre.
Andrew Frawley does work there and also with Paul Delany there...unbelievable amount of knowledge there for every level of bowler. Plus they are two of the most approachable guys you will ever met so dont be scared just go up and talk to them..they love it :)
The centre....one of the best centres if not the best i have ever been in.. Australia and the world.
Some one said something about the chairs on the lanes....they are only temporary (but comfortable)..... seating and ball racks (house balls) are being installed shortly there was a delay.
The management...totally dedicated the sport of Ten Pin Bowling..will not meet nicer ppl who are committed to the success of the sport, as has been shown in the past with their centres.
All in all..do ur self a favour and go and check this centre out...u will not be let down.

If Paul is the ball driller then i give a big hand to him, I had to have some work done on my ball he not only did the work but came and checked on me dueing the day to make sure everything was ok.

Andrew well what can you say nothing bad thats for sure and if he gets his mates from pba i think you will not beable to move in the centre as everyone will be there to watch.

Belmonte dont worry about what ppl say, your family are well loved and you giving praise to one of the best centres in the metro area will support what others are saying.

I had a ball there yesterday, pattern was long even div 1 were having trouble but it was a great day of bowling, might even look at joining a league. Lanes there are 24

Yes But not AMF. It is Strike Bowling that has the all rights to the name "Strike". They own the Trade Mark to "Strike"
Thanks for that. As I said, it was a rumour I'd heard. Glad to have it cleared up for the whole community. I'm incredulous that a generic term like "Strike" could be trademarked. Telstra couldn't get "Payphone" (as one word) trademarked! SB must have good lawyers! In which case, a name change was a wise move!

A small blow with crummy timing for the honourable Belmonte family, but you guys will thrive. Of this I am absolutely sure. All the same, good luck! (It helps.)

I'm looking forward to playing there (along with a few other Canberrans!)

Cheers,
Jason
www.bowlersedge.com.au

I'm incredulous that a generic term like "Strike" could be trademarked. Telstra couldn't get "Payphone" (as one word) trademarked! SB must have good lawyers!

The general rule of thumb is that the less the mark actually tells you about what the product is, the more likely it will get registered. Payphone would probably have been rejected for this very reason, because the word 'payphone' actually tells you too much about what the item actually is.

And the word 'strike'? Well that doesn't tell you much about a bowling alley at all, so that's probably how it got registered in terms of the class 41 goods. Check out the IP Australia website; it tells a good story about people trying to register a lot of wacky things (some better ideas than others).

So in theory, any bowling centre with the word strike in it is in trouble? No. There is a defence whereby if you use the mark in good faith to describe your service (bowling centre), you don't infringe. So something like "Jimmy Chu's Strike Arena" might still get the green light. And generally the word strike can still be used relating to other classes of goods and services, so its not totally restrictive.

I'm not sure how the court would take "Strike City" though; it could be too deceptively similar to a certain other well known bowling company, and people might assume there is a connection between the two. I think you could run some sort of argument if you had the inclination...

Or you could just save your money and change the name, which has probably saved you a lot of headaches and legal bills :D

Out of curiosity, does Andrew Frawley still have any affiliation with Sue &/or Illawarra Strikezone?
As we are in the area, we are yet to bowl there. We went in for a look just recently & I was unimpressed with what I saw upon entering. However my partner liked the look of the lanes etc.
We are looking forward to travelling to a few centres for a game although I am only at the beginner level so the meaning isn't the same for me as it is with others.
I am interested to find out about coaching etc.

No.
Neither Sue and/or Andrew have anything to do with that centre anymore.
Sue managed it, working for AMF for a little while after they bought the place but she has since moved on to bigger and better things.

Your opinions on the centre are very common, I admit the place has gone down a little since it opened in May/June 2004...

Back
Top Bottom