New Manager - Mentone

steve jones

.....who is this "new" fellow coming in at Mentone in a few weeks... well good luck young chap - I hear you've a "little" past experience in this business which should help given you have large shoes to fill.

Break a leg,

S

.....who is this "new" fellow coming in at Mentone in a few weeks... well good luck young chap - I hear you've a "little" past experience in this business which should help given you have large shoes to fill.

Break a leg,

S

Very "tongue in cheek" Steve, goodluck Freddy!

Thanks guys. Looking forward to getting back into the business and sport.
But I have to thank Steve Arundell for being very supportive during the transition and his shoes will be big ones to fill.
Thanks to you too SJ.
Regards
Warren

Congratulations Warren. Great news for all bowlers at Mentone.
Must thank Steve Arundell for his efforts and hard work over the last 10 years or so. Personally, Steve's help, encouragement and advice has been invaluable to me.
His commitment to junior bowlers, attention to adult and senior representative teams has made bowling a great experience and fun for a lot of bowlers.
All the best in your future endeavours Steve, we can only hope that a person of your calibre is not lost to the bowling industry.

Charlie.

Nicely put Charlie - and whilst I haven't seen Steve for a number of years as we have lived in different corners of the country and I have spent some time out anyway - his years of work and support for bowling, bowlers and the industry have been simply sensational by any standard. His work as a coach, administrator and spokesman combine to make Steve Arundell one of the very best in his field - generous with his time [and on one occasion I recall he opened his home for a massive evening of fund raising for a Victorian Rachuig Team - the year he did that escapes me however] and someone owning spectacular energy Steve will be missed by many...but mostly the sport will miss him the most...not too many Arundell's come down the street and settle into this sport for the better part of a lifetime. Like you Charlie I wish him every success in whatever he does next - likely improving his golf swing no doubt.

Well done Steve and thanks for all the personal support you gave me over many years - it was never dull.

Regards

Steve J

Congratulations Warren. Great news for all bowlers at Mentone.
Must thank Steve Arundell for his efforts and hard work over the last 10 years or so. Personally, Steve's help, encouragement and advice has been invaluable to me.
His commitment to junior bowlers, attention to adult and senior representative teams has made bowling a great experience and fun for a lot of bowlers.
All the best in your future endeavours Steve, we can only hope that a person of your calibre is not lost to the bowling industry.

Charlie.

Well said Charlie. Couldn't agree more!

Great to see my mate Wazza back in the business that he should be in. Heaps of experience from his bowling days.This is great for our sport.Well done mate.Catch up soon.
Cheers Lovey

I would agree with everyone about Steve's contribution to the sport of bowling! He was a fantastic asset to the sport!

Although it is great that another fellow bowler may be taking over for Steve, I'm still not sure if it is great news for bowlers at Mentone. From my limited knowledge of the situation, it appears that bowlers are going to be feeling the price hikes soon (if not already). It appears that the new owners at Mentone may have the same ideas as AMF and are looking to promote recreational/ money making instead of sport-related bowling and tournaments. I may be wrong (and I hope I am), but if this is true, this will be another bowling centre that sport bowling may not be able to depend on promotions and lifting the profile of the sport. I wish is wasn't the case, but I think most bowling centres are going in this direction?

I may be wrong (possibly because I haven't been around Mentone for a while now), but only time will tell.

So why don't you wait and see what policies and business drivers Warren and the team at Mentone put in place before you "ass" "u" "me" anything...oh, and unless you missed it - profit [generally a result of driving strong cash flow - Economics One O One] actually keeps the doors open! I know it's a tough mindset to grasp but do your best!

fantastic wazza i might come all the way home to give you a bowling lesson , ! but great news all the best OTTY

So why don't you wait and see what policies and business drivers Warren and the team at Mentone put in place before you "ass" "u" "me" anything...oh, and unless you missed it - profit [generally a result of driving strong cash flow - Economics One O One] actually keeps the doors open! I know it's a tough mindset to grasp but do your best!

Steve you are a very long way away from Mentone.

Maybe you should not be too critical of Chris. He was not having a go at Warren, but the owners of the bowl!

Warren is great guy and I'm sure will do all he can for the bowlers, hopefully the owners will support him! We'll just have to wait and see!

At least chris has been to the centre lately, not speculating from his chair in WA...

Although i cannot say anything for warren as he hasnt started yet, the new owners of mentone are certainly heading in the direction that chris has described.

Take for example the pot games that were (keyword 'were') being run after the wednesday super league. we bowled every week with no exceptions and paid our $10 each. now the owners are demanding $20 eachfor the same amount of games, needless to say the group of us havent stayed for pot games since and now mentone is missing out on our $60-$70 or more a week.
their bad luck for trying to be greedy i guess

Please, lets just ease up on all the hypotheticals.

I'm not going to debate over the internet, I can only say that I'm always 100% behind the sport but understand that Bowling IS also a business.

My aim will be to deliver for everyone, All Customers - League being a high priority and of course for the [Owners as well].

My door will always be an open one, so if anyone has any issues to discuss please come and see me.

And in the meantime, if you are looking for a League to bowl in, please come and see me also!
Regards
Warren

well said steve, when are people going to realize that unless a propety makes a profit then it will quickly become a block of flats, knowing Warren as i do he will no doubt make a success of his new appointment in both the recreational and sporting side of the business, congats Warren best of luck (look out amf)
mike rollo

Maybe I wasn't very clear in my post.

As eraser20 correctly stated, I wasn't having a go at Warren, as he is a respected bowling centre manager and bowler as well, but I was talking more about the owners.

Now I am definitely not an expert businessman, but I do realise that profit keeps the doors open. However, as $$Pricey$$ stated (which suggests I didn't assume anything), not getting your league bowlers in each week to practice because you increase the prices will not help your profit margin at all, will it? Losing $60-$70 each week is not making a profit, it's losing money, right? Warren can put all the policies and business drivers into place that he wants but if the owners don't want to budge with prices that they may set, then bowlers (probably league bowlers) will suffer.

All I know is that even if Warren wants to do good things for the sport (which I know he cares about our sport), if the owners won't allow him to, for example, drop the prices for tournaments or other sport bowling functions, tournaments (and the sport) will suffer, because people won't be able to afford the prices. I know Mentone is only 1 bowling centre, but this WAS 1 bowling centre that was looking after the sport as well as making profits (and keeping their doors open I might add).

Warren, I appreciate the "door is always open" comment, but I know that with the new owners, you will NEVER be able to match the prices for tournaments (or special events) that Steve used to give us. If I am involved in those tournaments or other events in the future though, I will definitely be looking to at least talk to you about them and see what Mentone can do.

To emphasise the point again... Steve Arundell deserves a gold medal for what he's done for the sport of bowling and bowlers in general!! He's a fantastic asset and hopefully won't be lost to the bowling industry all together! I also hope that Warren can make the same contributions!

Hope I didn't seem too harsh with my comments as nothing was meant to be taken as a dig at anyone, just some more food for thought...
chris

Haven't been on in a while and just saw the news.

It is sad to see Steve go. I thank him for all he has done for the sport and for the bowlers at mentone. I wish you all the best in the future.

Congrats to Warren, it is good to see you back in Bowling and I wish you all the best in your new position. I might have to come down and throw a few games.

Frosty:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom