Mentone Bowl will finally Close its Doors

warren

Dear Bowlers and the Bowling Industry
It is with a sad heart that I must inform everyone that Mentone Bowl will be closing its doors for the last time at the end of the year.
We celebrated our 50th year in 2013 and it will turn out to be our last in bowling centre operation.
We knew this day would eventually arrive, however you can never be prepared for it.

Mentone Bowl has been a place where past and future champions have walked, from the early days of the 60’s with the All Stars tournament, umpteen marathons and day breakers of the 70’s and 80’s to the recent Mentone Cups.
We have enjoyed looking after the bowlers, I take pride in the team I have had, who always endeavoured to look after the bowlers as well as any staff that I have seen before. Our offerings to our league bowlers to support the league bowlers, again I take pride in what we did offer them.
The local community has grown up with Mentone Bowl. From the kids and families and the many adults that come in today who used to bowl here when they were kids.

We can’t stop Progress and development. These are our unfortunate enemy here, and the landscape on the Corner of Warrigal Road and Nepean Highway will change forever and become apartments in the future.
I’d like to thank everyone who has been part of Mentone Bowl over the years and who have supported us, especially in recent times.
Especially to our Leagues and members of those Leagues and to the Tournament Associations who have supported us over the time, knowing that this day was coming.

To all the Managers that have overseen Mentone Bowl and of course to the original owner who has since passed on Mr Alf Emerson.
And to Pace Development who even though has made this inevitable decision kept Mentone Bowl operating, where they could have closed us 5 years ago.

Mentone Tenpin Bowl RIP
Warren Stewart
General Manager
Mentone Tenpin Bowl

That will certainly be a sad day Warren, so much effort has been put into the bowl. Not just by you, other staff members too. Past and present. I have so many memories there (some good and some not so good) but I will definitely come for a visit before the end of the year. All the best for a wonderful last 2 months at Mentone Tenpin Bowl.

As I posted on fb - It's been spoken of for so long now that you really never thought it would happen. :( I like many others, I grew up there. Forty odd years ago I started out as a baby in a playpen when my parents bowled league, then I learnt to bowl at the age of 3-4 (no bumpers as they didn't exist). Started juniors at the age of 5. Through my teens I worked at the canteen and helped out in general when my Dad (David Harkness) was manager for a few years. I have many childhood memories from there. Many lifelong friendships were made for many people including my family. I hope the reunions continue and the memories live on. Very sad to say goodbye!!! :(

Back
Top Bottom