More stuff about 300's.

Is your first 300 luck or skill?

• luck

Votes: 41 42.7%
  • skill

Votes: 55 57.3%

• Total voters
There is luck in every sport but there still needs to be some kind of skill involved.

Eg: Golf. After the drive from the tee, the ball gets caught in a little bit of a breeze which carries the ball right 1 meter and you miss the bunker. LUCK.
The ball travelled over 250 meters, end result on that hole- Birdie. SKILL

Agree to a point Alicia, though I think the painful thing with bowling is that you can throw a ball like absolute garbage and still get a result.

Eg, 150m from the pin, 7 iron, dead shank which goes 120 long and 60 metres right

Up for the 12th strike, dead shank 8 boards inside target, goes brooklyn for a strike.

This is one of the painful things about bowling to me.

One night I rolled 14 strikes staight. Not a perfect game, cause it was 4th frame of one game to 5th frame of the next game. Some shots I did not hit a pocket, but the pins all fell over. If that had happened from the first frame, I would have had a 300. So some luck is involved. However, I have seen a couple of really good, well bowled 300's.

Reactive resin hits the market in 1991. In that same year 300 games increase by 24,000 in the USA alone. Yes, the game is a lot easier these days. The amount of 300s we see in a week now you wouldn't see in a year 20 years ago.

I don't understand the comparisons between bowling and sports like golf or football. I can't think of any other sport at this time where everything can be manipulated to help the player achieve higher or better scores like you can in bowling. Just about every aspect of our sport can and is manipulated to the players advantage. The bottom line is "tenpin bowling has become a farce." That's why we see sports like lawn bowls and diving on TV and not tenpin bowling.

I'm not sure about golf not getting easier. After purchasing a new driver the other day I have found myself consistantly playing 3 to 4 strokes better then before.

I don't think back in the good old days a player like me could go driver sand wedge into a par 5. But I am now doing it very regularly. I'm also driving quite a few par 4's off the tee. A 300 metre drive is something of a failure, 350 is the all the go now.

Oh and my new driver has specail weights in it that I can change to make it even easier.

Shayne, you're talking about one specific thing. Will the ball still end up on the fairway or green if you slice your shot? If we miss our target the odds are good that we can still carry a strike. Ebonite say it themselves, "reactive resin bowling balls make good bowlers better bowlers." But it didn't stop there. What was once deemed illegal is now rampant across the nation. I can't think of any other sport where the participants have such an advantage to score massive numbers. The only challenge remaining is who can throw the most 300s.

The most ironic thing about reactive resin is it wasn't designed for the high average bowler lol.

Shayne, you're talking about one specific thing. Will the ball still end up on the fairway or green if you slice your shot?

You can't miss hit the new clubs. They if you must use a term, open up the course. My distance is better, my control is better. I still have a set of clubs I got when I was 14. (20 years ago) I do hit with them every now and then. The new gear puts my old clubs to shame.

Technology is everywhere just not in bowling

Are you seriously telling me it's impossible for you to slice or hook the ball with this club? So golf is no longer and honest sport either. You keep missing the point so I won't bother any further.

You can't miss hit the new clubs. They if you must use a term, open up the course. My distance is better, my control is better. I still have a set of clubs I got when I was 14. (20 years ago) I do hit with them every now and then. The new gear puts my old clubs to shame.

Technology is everywhere just not in bowling

I think a lot of the changes in technology, especially golf, has made us lazier ...

New clubs are great ... but then you learn how to miss hit them.

Are you seriously telling me it's impossible for you to slice or hook the ball with this club? So golf is no longer and honest sport either. You keep missing the point so I won't bother any further.

I think your missing the point. Are you saying that it is impossible to throw a bad shot in bowling?

You can still hit a bad shot with the new golf clubs just like you can throw bad shot in bowling. If you miss hit with the new golf clubs it still comes out like a great shot, just like a bowling ball!

I can go on and say that they have made special grass so the ball rolls better on the greens, they have got sand that makes it easier to get the ball out of bunkers. They install watering systems so the fairways have better grass cover. Special fertilizers so the grass never dies in winter.

My point is that bowling is not the only sport that has been made easier by technology and equipment.

I think your missing the point. Are you saying that it is impossible to throw a bad shot in bowling?

You can still hit a bad shot with the new golf clubs just like you can throw bad shot in bowling. If you miss hit with the new golf clubs it still comes out like a great shot, just like a bowling ball!

I can go on and say that they have made special grass so the ball rolls better on the greens, they have got sand that makes it easier to get the ball out of bunkers. They install watering systems so the fairways have better grass cover. Special fertilizers so the grass never dies in winter.

My point is that bowling is not the only sport that has been made easier by technology and equipment.

Yet the average worldwide handicap of 18 basically hasnt changed in 15 years?

Think theres a little bit of "overating" going on in the new equipment stakes. If you swing it badly, you will still pretty much hit it badly. The thing that has improved most is distance, its still easy enough to spray a 460cc driver with a 20 cubic cm face.

I atribute my 300 in the 2000 country cup to skill, 12 shots flush in the pocket with out any mesangers/scouts or whatever. Just 12 strikes with 10 pins all in the pit. To be honest i dont even remember the first 7! But with everyone watching in the biggest teams tourny in Vic i remember the last 5!

So as it was on wooden lanes, with an old blue wolf in a massive 5 man teams tournament................ skill................... that has eluded me for the past 8 years anyway!:D

However if a bowler can make 1 good shot to win a title in a final why would the hardest shot to bowl a 300 game be all on the last shot? This is the general feeling i get when talking to bowlers that the last shot can be the most nerve racking shot, I don't understand. Parker Bohn has bowled over 70 sanction 300 games why? I am sure he does not believe that 300 games have an ellement of luck or is assisted by oil paterns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Obviously just another opinion.

Law of averages also, take this, i bowl once a week and half a dozen tournys a year, i do NOT practice at all.
Maybe 200 games a year, average 190+ish over a year for 1 x 300.
Parker or most PBA Pro's, bowl all day maybe 200 games in a week.
Personaly the 11th was probably the one that i was nervous on the most, the last was like hey who cares i have a great game anyway and then bingo there it was!
Cheers

In my mind I have bowled lots of perfect games but never had a 300. So I believe luck is needed to get the pin carry for that 300.

You definetly need luck i mean i hit front 8 and next frame both pocket balls left 7-10 spilt both times and guy next to me bowled 300 with last ball going brooklyn

Frosty makes a bold assumption when he says Parker Bohn "does not believe that 300 games have an ellement of luck or is assisted by oil paterns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" (sic)

I can only think he must be joking, going by all the exclamation marks. I've seen some great 220 games and I've seen some pretty shoddy 300's over the years.

Silly Subject. Obviously some are more luck than skill, and some are more skill than luck. 12 flush pocket hits don't guarantee a 300. 12 ' hit the headpin somewhere' ones sometimes do.
Either way would do me, but realistically, I'm just as happy with 269 / 279 / 290, etc. If I could be guaranteed more of those at the cost of NEVER getting 300, I'd take the deal!!

I bowled 300 in 1988 a year when only 28 were bowled in total . This year we are up to nearly 180. The excitment of being the first to bowl a sanctioned 300 in your home centre Sunshine Bowl Tweed Heads (now Coolangatta Tweed Ten-Pin) is something that will remain with me forever. Not knowing what was to come i remember a brooklyn about frame 7, although i was nervous in the 10th i held my form to produce 3 good shots. It may seem strange but the last one was the easiest of them all. Some luck must come into it but you need the skill and mental toughness to be able to able to deliver a good shot when it counts the most. Although another 300 has't come my way i consider myself fortunate (and lucky) to be able to say i achieved the perfect score in the game i love and have been able to play for over 30 years.
Garry Scarlett

Back
Top Bottom