Is your first 300 luck or skill?

• luck

Votes: 41 42.7%
  • skill

Votes: 55 57.3%

• Total voters

Troyza

Flash
I was talking with someone on this matter earlier today & we thought it'd be interesting if I brought the topic forward to this forum, to see the reaction we would get, etc;

Is your first 300 game luck, or is it skill?

mm... my first i would say was a bit lucky.... whether it be because the lanes didn't change and i didn't have to move, or whether it was because there wasn't as many people watching to take the pressure off.
R

Combination of both.

You have to be able to hit the pocket and carry all pins 12 times, so a fair degree of skill is involved.

However that said how many times have you started with the front 9, 10 or 11 only to be thwarted by a 7,8,9 or 10 pin yet other people go brookie or through the nose and carry.

This is just one of the many idiosyncrasies in our game, where by you can throw a really bad shot and still get the maximum result.

Cheers

Steve :D

Anyone who say's anything but luck would have to be lying. As Shadow Fall has said it has to be a combination of both.

I think there needs to be a third choice in the poll. let's call it 'pattern aided'
:)

My first sanctioned 300 game came in 1973 and it was definitely wouldn't have been bowled with the aid of some oil guidance.

I have only had one shot for 300 and stuck a 4 pin.. (yes i know i suck lol)

But from the ones i have seen, there is 9 times out of 10 a bit of luck involved with some shots carrying that probably wouldnt in most cases :p

however it still takes skill as well to throw 12 strikes.

So id say a bit of both from a spectators perspective.. also over coming nerves on the final shot plays a big part too.

in regards to MR Chesters comment,
its about time you gave the pattern subject a bit of a rest i thought you would have copped enough "flack" about it last week

to bowl a 300 requires both luck & skill. I have seen bowlers with mid 160's aves bowl 300s (knox bowls 1st ever) as well as 200+ bowlers achieve this with some of the luckiest shots you will see.I have also seen some of the most awesome bowling to reach this pinnacle

I have been bowling for over 35 years, have bowled all over the country, have never bowled a 300, but still regard myself as accurate enough to hit the pocket 90-95% of the time & still able to hold a 200+ ave

when I was bowling in the early days, I was told that lower average bowlers used 90% luck & 10% skill, Higher average bowlers used 90% skill & 10% luck

ONE OF THESE DAYS I MIGHT BE LUCKY ENOUGH TO BOWL THE ULTIMATE GAME

After bowling a good line last night, I realised there's alot of luck involved.
No matter how accurately you bowl the ball, if you place it in the exact same spot, pins will never move the same direction twice. So the perfect game of 300, isn't really that perfect.

Many 300s have been foiled by 10 pins and/or 7 pins. So in order to eliminate those you need scouts/messengers anyway.

So whoever has bowled one, i'm sure theres a frame in it that made the difference.

Poppy - I feel better much now - I've been bowling for 46 years without making it - and here I was thinking I must be on my own given the "well everyone's got one haven't they" feel about this thread - but I'm clearly in good company...I hope your sign off wish comes true.

I think a large majority of people these days that think there 300 games are a result of skill only are fooling themselves. You need a bit of luck on the biggest ditches out there to bowl one.

My first 300 came in 1992 at Mentone bowl when the lanes were wood and not in the best condition.

It was a SPC centre final i was coming last and had the first 8 up, got up for the 9th and went straight thru the nose and the same with the 10th.

The last 2 strikes were in the pocket..

So i would say luck was on my side that day.

It's both. My first 300 had an eleventh strike where the tripped 4 pin took out the 9 pin after two bounces. (#12 was dead flush, but could have been a stone 8 pin.) Carry can just be luck. On the flip side, some excellent players have never bowled one.

In defence of Wayne Chester, I remember when 160 average players never bowled 300. It just didn't happen. Bowling balls didn't hit anywhere near as hard, but more importantly there are a great many more centres that have blocked lane conditions than there used to be. There are plenty of houses that get 300's sanctioned today that would have been knocked back in the 80's. The lane oil distribution would have been declared illegal.

Don't bash Wayne because he remembers when the game was more honest.

Cheers,
Jason

I think there needs to be a third choice in the poll. let's call it 'pattern aided'
:)
My first sanctioned 300 game came in 1973 and it was definitely wouldn't have been bowled with the aid of some oil guidance.

I agree. It went right over my head when I created this thread lol.

Actually what spurred this discussion with my self & the other person to begin with was that a young lad down south with a somewhat 160 average had bowled a 300 very recently (or so we had been told)

This may be taken wrong but I'll give my personal opinion...

Bowling a 300 is an awesome and highly sought after achievement one I hope to achieve eventually (stupid 299)

But personally I don't think bowling a 300 suddenly means you are or makes you a great bowler these days.

But everyone has different goals and set their sights differently.

Since when did you talk sense anyway Trav?

If I ever bowl a 300 I wont give a f--- what anyone thinks. I will have done it and I will enjoy it if/when it ever happens.

Bowling a 300 does not make you a great bowler, agreed, but bowling a 300 is still the thing every bowler aims for whether they are professional or just a social bowler off a 150 average. The bowler concerned still has to handle the situation and bowl the 12 shots.

Maybe there should be another poll started. When/if you bowl your first 300 will you care what people like Wayne Chester have said about it being easier these days?

You can add my vote - NO.

I am not saying that people shouldn't enjoy their 300 when they bowl one. & I think that is where people get mixed up when these sort of discussions come around.

For people to take insult to reality is just plain laughable. Reality is, technology in this sport has advanced so far that we can manipulate the sport to make it easier, or harder. In easier cases, we can lay down an oil pattern that gives a 5 board area to shoot, so your ball makes it to the pocket. We can also make it harder by laying down a pattern which demands the bowler to hit one single board dead on every shot, & to put the ball down in the exact same part of the lane (for fear of leaving a 10 pin, etc)

Everyone should by all means, value & cherish their perfect game. You bowled it, good on you. But when it comes to 'actuality', your 300 may have very well been an easy 300.

I always talk sense gary :movingtongue:
oh and hows the beard goin.. or should i say lack of :p
For those who don't know, certain Sunraysia bowlers lead me astray Friday night and got me extremely drunk. They then convinced me I should be neatly shaven.
I won't mention names but for those who bowl Country Cup, it was most of our men's team and one or 2 from the women's.
Oh, and a big thanks to Rob for hanging out of the taxi and shouting out "sorry Teena" at the top of his voice at 2.30am when I got dropped off, waking her up, and getting me into trouble before I even got in the door.

There is luck in every sport but there still needs to be some kind of skill involved.

Eg: Golf. After the drive from the tee, the ball gets caught in a little bit of a breeze which carries the ball right 1 meter and you miss the bunker. LUCK.
The ball travelled over 250 meters, end result on that hole- Birdie. SKILL.

Football. A turnover in your favour from the direction the ball bounced. LUCK.
Accurately kick the ball between the middle of the goal posts to win the game. SKILL.

Tenpin bowling. 300 game. 9th frame the ball went wide, still comes back but expecting a 10 pin, when a scout flys across and takes it out. LUCK.
Bowling the ball the other 11 times to a flush pocket. SKILL.

You cant take the triumph of a 300 game away from anyone. They still had to knock down all of the pins every time. Whether its their 1st or the 14th it is still a great achievement and hopefully those who havent quite got there *cough*4-pin*cough* will have luck on thier side next time. :D

I believe it is easier to bowl a 300 now.
However you still have to stay focused for all 12 shots and not stuff it, I think this is the factor that prevents people from shooting the perfect games every time.
I shot my first a couple of days ago and yes the conditions were favourable, but I've been close before on the same conditions and stuffed it with a bucket (quite a few times). Therefore I would say you still need the skill to follow through to the completion of the game.
Bowling a 300 on a sports pattern or a hard centre will feel better I'm sure as there would be no doubt of the skill needed (and maybe a bit of luck), but at the same time, I know that I stayed focused for every shot and they all carried, and for that I'm excited by my first 300.

Back
Top Bottom