Moorabbin Tournament 1963

Jim

With that type of average 254 the format must have been a combined triplex, 369, handicaped, no tap event only joking great shooting

Jonsy

I am having a "Coffee" with Dave Jordan at present and I showed hime the emails regarding the Blacklock $10,000

Here is an insight into bowling back then, Dave was only a "kid" and he thinks Carl Harris won the tournament. Dave won a trip to watch the event and be the driver for all of the superstars

Carl Harris
Brian Eagle
George Leibel
Udo Dusek
Pancho Craven

However it seems that the demon drink may have got the better of them, so that might explain Dave's memory.

See you soon, 2010 the year of the Hawks.

Great article Wayne thx

Belly - what great names Dave has come up with. I remember rooming one night about 100 years ago with Udo Dusek in Sydney at [I think] the old Spanish Inn in Enfield - what a nice man he was - although world champion at snoring - Udo was surprised to find me asleep in the bath in the morning - the only way I could get away from the noise!

Cheers

Steve

Amazing! I was trying to tell someone the other day, that to-day's 'hook' balls were once not considered a 'hook' but a 'curve ball'.. That the 'hook' ball- straight, then sharp turn - was considered the best scorer. The ball tracked between the thumb and finger holes, with NO flare ( any flare resulted from an inconsistant release ) Delivered properly, it had a strong roll into the pins, and was called a " full roller." I think he was wondering what I had been smoking !!

AND THERE THEY ALL ARE IN A DIAGRAM.!!!!!

............so Jim - back to your original post - does the Lloyd Triestino or the Craven "A" fit your memory at all?

Steve

Brunswick National All-Star
1962 Olympic Bowl Leichhardt - Eric Jang
1963 Olympic Bowl St.Leonards - John Fitch
Tournament name change to Blacklock 10,000
1964 Fairlanes Bowl Rockdale - Lance Loughlin.
The tournament was again renamed as the National All-Star & moved to Mentone Bowl under the sponsorship & operation by Alf Emerson. Unsure of the year, but I do know that the first edition of the National All-Star in Mentone was won by Joe Velo.
BTW I'm certain that Gary Burling has never won the Blacklock.
The eventual replacement in Sydney (Rockdale Bowl) for the transfer of the All-Star (Blacklock) was the Hawaiin Invitational !
Question - does anyone know the whereabouts of the original/perpetual All-Star trophy?

Only came across this site tonight, one small correction Lance Loughnan is the correct spelling, he was my brother. Interesting reading as I started at St Leonards when it opened in 1962. I was a part time instructor, what a job that was.

1962 Blacklock Won by Eric Jang & Tina Hutchison at Kensington Bowl. 1963 Blacklock won by John Fitch and Pearl Sullivan at St. Leonards and Kensington. 1964 Blacklock won by Lance Loughnan at Rockdale & Doreen Dockery at Kensington. Doreen gave her trophy to ATBC museum. So good to have all these posts to read even though some memories are not so good. Pity a history has not been kept although Jack Walton did have records up to date when the ATBC had their own building. Dockers

Rest assured that the ATBC had both extensive and comprehensive historic records long after Jack Walton had retired. When I left the Congress in late 1994 that accurate data was totally intact. You'll need to look to sometime after the ATBC was terminated as an entity to find those who dismantled the long held history of the sport.

1962 Blacklock Won by Eric Jang & Tina Hutchison at Kensington Bowl. 1963 Blacklock won by John Fitch and Pearl Sullivan at St. Leonards and Kensington. 1964 Blacklock won by Lance Loughnan at Rockdale & Doreen Dockery at Kensington. Doreen gave her trophy to ATBC museum. So good to have all these posts to read even though some memories are not so good. Pity a history has not been kept although Jack Walton did have records up to date when the ATBC had their own building. Dockers

Doreen
During my time on the net I found an article on you and Lance competing in the world match titles in Chicago. The paper the Milwaukee Journal is dated Saturday November 14 1964. The article, on page 2 by Billy Sixty, states that Australian Stars plus Canadians and Japanese will be competing but does not give them much of a chance. How times for Aussie has changed.

Garry

Thanks for correcting your brothers name. I had forgotten all about this post. Not that I don't care about the history of our sport anymore it was more the fact for the last two years I have been preoccupied with a house being built. During this time I had a builder go bust etc. anyway in new house now so all is well. I still have all the info I provided in earlier posts and are looking to acquire more. Anyway sadly on October 5th this year after over 50 years the Chadstone shopping Centre will no longer boast an AMF bowling centre among its tenants. Worse news is that the owners of the centre made no provisions for a new centre in the redevelopment plans despite AMF being a long term tenant of the shopping complex and still having at least 4 years on their lease agreement.

I guess we can put part of that down to the way participant numbers have dropped off considerably since the newer incarnation of Chadstone first opened back in 1999 but still can't fathom how management (dumb bean counters) could decide that they didn't want a bowling centre here anymore. One things for sure I will personally after the last night my league bowls there, which with the car park situation will be next Tuesday night, never set foot in the Chadstone Shopping Centre again in protest. I encourage all other die hard bowlers at heart to do the same.

Back
Top Bottom