Lloyd & Baker Win Australian Open Masters

Graham

Staff member
Andrew Lloyd (photo) from Carlton in Sydney earned the title in the men's division of the prestigious TBA Australian Masters in Kirwan, Queensland, while the women's division was won by Narelle Baker from East Doncaster in Melbourne. The Open Masters is bowled using a double elimination best-of-three game format from a field of the top 32 bowlers in both divisions. Players eliminated after losing two matches.

Lloyd, who had remained undefeated until the final round after posting a sizzling 222.88 average, received the champion's trophy, medallion and prize money for his efforts. 22 year-old Jamie Kyriacou from Mt. Warrigal on the NSW Illawarra coast took Lloyd to a thrilling finish after a repechage in the men's division final. The young bowler admitted to being "a bit fatigued" after bowling a marathon 26 games in the masters final. A North Queensland bowler again stood on the victory dais at Kirwan Bowl when Sam Nucifora from Burdekin finished in third place.

"Jamie came home like a storm in the last two games - if he had struck out he would have beaten me by one pin," said Lloyd smiling after the prize giving ceremony. "There were some very high games today, but I matched my opponents - it was a really fulfilling win - I'm buzzing," continued Lloyd. "New South Wales first and second ... it's a great start to the next few days - hope we can keep it up," he added.

With an impressive 216.36 average, Narelle Baker cruised undefeated in 14 games to take the title ahead of 24 year-old Jeska Goldie from Canberra. Former WTBA World Masters Champion, Ann-Maree Putney from Newcastle finished third, while High Game honors in the women's division went to fellow Newcastle bowler, Amanda Bradley, who shot a 268-game during the final and finished fifth overall.

31-year-old Baker has previously won the masters title on three occasions in the popular East Coast Challenge but described teh Australian Open Masters win as a career highlight. Asked if she was excited by the win, she replied "You bet! ... I'm still on Cloud Nine, and it hasn't really sunk in yet. "I'm really looking forward to the start of Rachuig", she added.

The Walter Rachuig Interstate Teams Trophy is a feature event at the annual TBA National Championships, bringing together the cream of Australian bowling talent from every State and Territory. This year, for the first time, a Team from New Zealand has been included and separate teams will represent both South and North Queensland.

Back
Top Bottom