Knowing the oil pattern in advance

Should the pattern be released prior to the tournament?

• Yes - The pattern should be released along with other data like lane surface, oil type, etc

Votes: 86 50.9%
  • No - Bowlers should have the ability to figure it out themselves

Votes: 52 30.8%
  • I dont care either way, I'll roll with the flow

Votes: 31 18.3%

• Total voters

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
To tell or not to tell, that's a constant question which is argued time and time again. As a lefty, I've gone beyond caring anymore, I rely on my practise session and lane reading ability to determin the lane condition and where and how I'm going to play the lanes.

I can some benefits in both ways, whats your preference and why?

I'll start the honesy stakes. I just voted NO, on the grounds that I bowled in the times when oil was sprayed on the lane by hand sprayer - you bowled balls down and observed what they did and adjusted accordingly. Lane surface? - Yes, there was one!. Definately!
Now for the real honest bit. When I look at oil pattern charts, they mean absolutely NOTHING to me. Nothing - I don't know what they're trying to tell me. So, if they're not disclosed, everyone is in the same boat as I am.
Anybody else want to admit they don't know what they're looking at, or what to do about it?

I believe that oil patterns should not be released and a bowler should use his/her abilities to work the lanes out. I understand oil pattern charts because I use to be a tech but there have been some times when I have looked at the charts and the lanes have played totally different so I don't look at them anymore.

To tell or not to tell, that's a constant question which is argued time and time again. As a lefty, I've gone beyond caring anymore, I rely on my practise session and lane reading ability to determin the lane condition and where and how I'm going to play the lanes.

I can some benefits in both ways, whats your preference and why?

That is because you stand in the same place regardless of conditions, maybe change a ball, maybe move a board lol :p

The simplicity of being a left hander lol

All jokes aside, most of the time the lane pattern will give you an indication of where the shot should be, but the majority of the time, there are bowlers during tournaments with so many different styles, that where bowlers should play to get the most out of a pattern and try and ensure longevity throughout the day, doesnt always occur, good example being the K n K last year at Strathpine, lot of the younger guys with above average revs, immediately playing deep inside with dull hook monsters, long format, it kills the shot for the rest of the right and if it wasnt for Belmo being so good at what he does, it would have been a come from behind run away victory to George being the only left hander in the matchplay field.

Personally, I might sometimes look at a pattern, but I prefer to have a look at where others are playing, ball rolls, equipment used and drill patterns used and make a determination from there, then adjust as I go along during the squad etc. You can only play what is in front of you and make a call at the time.

I'm with Jim on this one as I can't read the oil pattern charts anyway either. I agree that if you are good at what you do you will change your shot, speed and angle of entry to suit whats been laid down. Oil patterns can change because of the temperature in the center and who is bowling where on the lanes so they would only give a rough indication of where you should be.

If the pattern is disclosed I think the travelling bowler might be able to select his equipment to suit, But for me I don't really care the only thing about it is to me that I might learn about how to play under certain conditions even if the pattern was disclosed after the end of play.

i agree magpi, i have enough trouble throwing a consistant shot as it is without worrying too much about the pattern. Sure i look at it and have a general idea but to be honest im happy to roll up and play it as it is.

Yes, conditions change as games progress and yes there are many variables that mean the tournament condition wont be the same as if your home centre laid it. So with that being the case, where is the harm in releasing the pattern? A pattern gives you an idea of what type of shot should be expected and what sort of gear you should take. It's no substitute for the first practice session of the event but it's a start!

Ok, so you say those who don't know how to read a pattern are at a disadvantage if patterns are released. Counter that with interstate bowlers are disadvantaged if they aren't released. You need to bring gear to cope with anything from a 32ft dry through to a 50ft flood and everything in between. Excess bag charges make it not worth going in that case.

You can argue that bowlers only really need to bring 4 balls at most as they should be able to adjust the ball surface and change their release, speed, angle etc to cover any pattern. But then I can argue that everyone should be able to at least read the basics (length, volume, area) from a pattern and get a rough idea of what to expect. Sure, there was a time when the oil was sprayed on and you didn't worry about a pattern. It was the same time when people only brought 1 ball to anything.

Knowledge is a powerful thing, and in Bowling it can be the difference between missing the cut and winning. You may not understand every part of a pattern graph, but you will get further if you can pick up some basics rather than ignoring them. You may not know how to adjust your shot or angle, but you will get further if you learn some simple adjustments rather than going for a ball change every time.

I have no preference either way but I believe that if a pattern is advertised then there should at least be some attempt to lay that pattern.

People travel to these things and have to drag equipment along. If they leave something behind based on information supplied then it is hardly fair if things are changed without notice.

If the pattern is advertised then that should be the pattern (or close to it) that is put down.

Oh, not again...

The days of "I can adjust to anything with four balls" are so long gone it's ridiculous if you have more than 6 hand revs. For anyone who generates strong ball roll without massive manufacturer assistance, the difference between friction generated by balls is astounding.

The same holds true for lanes for exactly the same reason. Not posting a pattern is like having the lane man pick the ball your allowed to bowl with and you can't change. It's stupid in this day and age.

Learn to read a pattern graph. You can teach yourself with a bit of application and experience, just like I did. Then take it with a grain of salt, because the surface underneath plays a very big factor and then, as Michael illustrated, some people will then do their best to tear up the pattern with sandpaper. Unless it's really wet, (yeah, right!) I've never understood that.

Ultimately, follow your observed ball behaviour and your gut. The pattern gives you some clues to equipment selection though. And that's why it's so important.

well said Jason.

I myself don't particularly mind, mostly because I don't often travel large distances to tournaments so I am able to bring all my bowling gear to a tournament.

But, for those who need to select balls to bring to a tournament, knowing the pattern beforehand is vital to having any chance of succeeding in a tournament.

This doesn't apply to everyone (nothing ever does) but imagine turning up for a tournament with equipment set up for a long pattern (lets say 44 feet) and then you find out they've laid down a 35 foot pattern. You may as well pack your bags and go home. Nothing you are going to try (other than grabbing your plastic ball, I've seen plenty of that) is going to work.

Whether you like it or not, equipment selection is a massive part today's game, and can be the difference between winning and losing, adjustments and knowing your angles etc. can only do so much.

Reading a lane pattern graph (enough so you know what the lane will do) isn't that difficult, really... it just takes a little bit of time and a lot of Google...

I voted yes. Granted the pattern isn't always going to play as it reads but surely anyone that is competing at tournament level understands the basics of length of oil and that how 45ft is going to play different compared to 35ft. Lets compare this to golf as bowling often is...Every hole on the course has a picture of the hole and its length and difficulty rating e.g. 472 metre par 5 at the tee off as to give players an idea of what to expect, now what if this wasn't there and you had never played this course and the hole had say a creek running through and a dogleg left turn you would be at a major disadvantage playing against a local with their knowledge of the course so it helps even up the field and give everyone a fairer chance as does knowing the oil pattern in bowling imo.

Nope, and this may sound a little backward but i think we need to take a little of the past and apply it to now. Set a minimum volume of oil to apply edge to edge and perhaps a set min ratio and then leave it to the centres to decide on how to fill in the blanks. So what if the house pro has an advantage? It might help drag some of the much needed local entries back in if they think they have some leg up.

Saves the constant whinging of it didn't play like the piece of paper said it would too. Get in have a crack if it doesnt work out blame the techs or the lefties. ;)

I voted yes as well...

As Aaron said, at most golf courses you have a picture of the hole, or better yet, a yardage book, these days even GPS.

GPS's and laser rangefinders are able to be used in any event except National... however they do provide yardage books with so much information that you might as well use a GPS.

I believe that oil patterns should not be released and a bowler should use his/her abilities to work the lanes out. I understand oil pattern charts because I use to be a tech but there have been some times when I have looked at the charts and the lanes have played totally different so I don't look at them anymore.

i agree with you totally, as a former tech too,
all the bowlers these days just whinge about every little thing, most bowlers take at least 4 balls to every tourny, if not 6+, if you can't have a ball that will roll on the condition that is down you have problems as 1 out of your 6 or so balls you should have at least have one that will work ok. no one knew what the lanes were going to be like before tournys years ago. we all look for a advantage these days but i think the balls do enough for now.

I voted yes, for a number of reasons.

When travelling to major tournaments, most of the field is lucky to take 5-6 balls, especially if they are flying. While, in reality, the pattern plays a much less significant role in how the balls will react then most of us realise, it definitely gives a starting point as to try to work out what gear to take.

There is no reason why the people who have taken the trouble and effort to understand what a lane graph means, understanding the difference of lane surfaces and general topography should be punished for that. We should be encouraging this, not saying it's useless and unfair.

I can't think of any other sport where one of the biggest variables isn't know or highly visible to the competitors.

Cheers, Cow

I voted yes, for a number of reasons.

When travelling to major tournaments, most of the field is lucky to take 5-6 balls, especially if they are flying. While, in reality, the pattern plays a much less significant role in how the balls will react then most of us realise, it definitely gives a starting point as to try to work out what gear to take.

There is no reason why the people who have taken the trouble and effort to understand what a lane graph means, understanding the difference of lane surfaces and general topography should be punished for that. We should be encouraging this, not saying it's useless and unfair.

I can't think of any other sport where one of the biggest variables isn't know or highly visible to the competitors.

Cheers, Cow

This.

Having the knowledge to determine what surface/core/layout combination is going to work best on a given condition is something that some bowlers have spent a long time learning. Further, having the pattern made available also allows the ball driller to determine an appropriate combination if asked by a player intending bowling in said event who may ask if they need their equipment adjusted, or indeed a new ball drilled.

As always, there is a caveat.

The patterns that are released are purely computer readouts of what the machine is supposed to apply to the lane. It does not take into account the lane surface condition, its topography or the accuracy of the machine. That being said however, the pattern release allows a bowler the opportunity to at least make equipment choices with some degree of confidence. Gien the baggage limits imposed by airlines, this is an important psychological advantage to the player.

To those who utter those immortal words -

"If you are so good, you can adjust!" I say this. An interstate tournament can cost up to $1500 and I am going to take every advantage I can lay my hands on. The further ANY player has to adjust away from their comfort zone, the less chance there is the player will be able to compete at their best. If tournament promoters want the players to come back year after year, they need to feed the players as much info as possible to let them make the best informed decisions thay can.

There are obvious advantages to knowing what will be laid - but as Brenton said, this is just a computer readout of where the oil will be placed on the lane. How it plays (more times than not) will be completely different to what you expect.

For this reason, I have rolled with the flow (",)

Who needs information to make a logical decision these days?! Just, make your decisions without looking at all the information that is potentially available, seems to work for governments throughout the world! Ok, sarcasm switch now turned off.

I find it hard to see how one can logically come to the conclusion of 'if I can't do it, then no one should be able too'.
Information is power, how you use or don't use that information is up to you. But preventing such use because a few refuse, is just plain ridiculous.

The 'I learned how to adjust so why can't everyone else' theory is as old (and tiresome) as the days when that theory was relevant. Sure, oil was placed on the surface with a spray can and smoothed out with 'mops', but you also only had a few ball choices too. Black 15 pound or black 16 pound. Which to take?!? (sorry someone switched on the sarcasm switch again! I'll turn it back off.)

With the variety of patterns and angles available it is at the stage that over 20 balls would be needed to counter all permutations that you could be faced with. QANTAS would be having an orgasm right now reading this!

The pattern will never play exactly as the pattern says (oil is still a fluid after all), but it does allow one to cull the 20+ balls down to 4-6 (with some confidence that those balls can be used throughout the tournament format - with adjustments between ball changes! ;)).

And yes, (excluding the few lefties out there ;)) adjustments are still fundamental to the sport - even in the 21st century. If one could bring 20+ balls then sure adjustments could be a mere 2-5 boards like the old days, though adjustments can now be 25+ boards before a change of ball is required.

Wonder which era, really can boast the 'I learned to adjust' badge?!? :rolleyes:

Just my $0.05

I think it helps with knowing what balls to take to an event and where to start once your there. Any help will be an advantage especially to the travelling bowler.

Back
Top Bottom