Pattern Carving

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
This one is for you Jim......

In the gold old days you use to get a few frames per lane practise, these days we tend to get 5 to 10 mins in most tournaments. This is ample time for me to do some 'Pattern Carving'. For those who dont know this art form, its a legal way of creating area for yourself on the lane.

Due to the aggressive nature of the covers these days and the large footprints they can create on the lane surface I can (along with most professionals) use this to our advantage and 'BURN' a spot in the lane. This means I can strip oil off one part of the lane in particular allowing me to move inside of it and catch some oil. This opens up the lane area giving me area on the toughest of conditions. If I miss left I hit the spot which I stripped allowing the ball to recover, if I hit my target, I go through the oil and still hit pocket.

Now this only applies on lanes where you have at least 5 mins practise. What happens a lot in big events overseas is that bowlers will break down the lane the same. This allows bowlers (mainly right handers) to share the 'BURN' spot and open up the lanes through out of the course of the event. It fails however if bowlers burn different spots (sometimes unknowingly) which trashes the condition depending on who youre following with your lane moves.

It is a product of the modern game, like it or hate it, its here to stay. It's not difficult to do, just takes some practise and knowledge.

As an 'expert' pattern carver, I"m happy to answer questions from the floor......

Ask away

I remember watching a matchplay practice session involving Norm Duke on Xtra frame(it was best of 5 matches). Norm's opponent ( a higher rev player) deliberately spent the practice session with his dullest ball bowling down Norm's line. It didn't matter his ball wasn't close to striking, it was a deliberate ploy to wreck his opponent's A game.

Thats right Dinesh, it can be used for good and bad :) In the old PBA format which was best of 7 this would happen heaps. Norm is one of the best at pattern carving, his ability to open up the edge on TV when it hadnt been there all week is amazing. It is well known yet often spoken about..... It happens here but most dont know the technical side and cant see it happening.

My 300 at the Melbourne Cup in 2009 on TV was some of my best work :) 1st game 172, 2nd game 300 :)

Hi George,

I read an article a few months back about Norm's lane break down process.

I thought I had it save but can't find it. But it sort of went like this, sanded particle for six shots per lane to burn a path to the pocket. Then bowl your A game through the trench you just created.

Even in league, if you have three guys on the lanes bowling the same line similar equipment you will bowl well. Throw a higher rev guy in there and it gets a bit patchy as they bowl across your break point.

I would image in tournaments you could do that as the only lefty in a field. Now I am not saying you have an advantage there, but saying you can weave your craft more effectively.

For me, I know the argument about lanes being easier now and the balls being better. What it means to me is that the craft can be harder as there is a lot more to think about.

The lane, the oil pattern, the pattern break down. The ball layout, the ball surface. I believe that there are bigger scores to be had, but equally bigger chance to get it wrong. You can’t stand on the one spot and bowl the same line all day long, you have to move and get it right. Often having to move a long way.

Now try and explain that at one of the kids bowling birthday parties to the other dad’s.

John being left handed can be a advantage and a disadvantage dependant on if the righties work together or work against each other. I dont get a real chance to carve unless there are other lefties playing and it only works when they play the same part of the lane as me. This actually rarely happens so I'll do it for the first block and then rely on my accuacy for the rest of the event. The righties can open up the lane and work together but this rarely happens as people in Australia tend to play patterns very different to how they are suppose to.

This is the main difference to bowling International events. The quality of the field is a lot higher and they'll be more likely to read the lane the same and break it down the same. This making it difficult for the lefties.

Australian's ability to read lane patterns is improving so I think in the near future with more education and understandings on patterns and breaking down oil the scoring pace will pick up. You will always get the young kids throwing a million revs standing inside of everyone with a dull ball from time to time but in most cases it will be better in the future than worse.

Hi George,
I already knew I didn't know a lot about modern bowling ( balls and lane patterns), but now I see that I know virtually nothing at all!!
Beginning to think it's time to give up. The only real skill I have left is the ability to be dead accurate, but that doesn't cut it. Indeed it seems hardly to matter. Ah well, time marches on........................

Great topic George... Well you have answered the question that I was going to ask... But how well does this work when you are bowling on a long pattern on a low friction surface (assumption here) which brings me to my second question ( might be worth a thread by itself) are tournament patterns set to suit the type of lane surface it is bowled on... Converse to this, Are there patterns that don't match up to certain lane types... I already have my thoughts on this but I'm interested in seeing your take on this...

Regards,

Mick

Good question Micky.... The lane surface is almost irrelevant unless we are talking about wooden lanes. If we are talking sythetics it doesnt matter, wood on the other dependant on its condition can break down quicker. If you can imagine taking a cross section of the lane (at the foul line), you have the lane surface on the bottom, the oil sits on top (like having oil sitting on a plate). Dependant on how big your footprint is on the lane (footprint is ball surface area that comes into contact with the lane, more flare = bigger footprint and dependant on the grit of sandpaper) you can cut through just about any units of oil they put out there. The ball will eventually cut through the oil instead of sliding on top of it and when it starts to grip, you start to push and remove oil from that part of the lane, hence the carving part.

It doesnt matter if the pattern is short or long, the object of carving is to strip the front part of the lane progressively, as long as you are not irratic with your speed you should stil be able to burn the lane and move inside of it to generate hold.

Hope this answers your question

Hey George, when using a dull ball out wide does it matter if the ball rolls early and goes across the headpin? Assuming you are getting the ball through to at least the end of the pattern on the desired line, does the backend reaction matter? I have always struggled to get the dull gear long enough on the lane when l have tried this.Cheers, Paul.

Hey George...

Typically, what surface on the ball are you using to strip the oil off the lanes? Only reason I ask this is that I bowled the sports series at Chirnside park and found that I had no midland or backend reaction. I had my Nano at 800 grit and was bowling straight. It didn't help that for 6 of the 8 games I happened to be the only leftie on the lanes. I know now that I was bowling a little bit on the fast side but I would have expected to see some movement...

Bluey, the object is to be relatively end over end so coming around and allowing it hook so much will result in stripping oil from parts of the lane you dont want to. Minimal hook is the desired result.

Mikey, 180 or 360 and freshly scuff them with some abralon, my tests have proven the lowest grade you can actually bowl a tournment with and score is about 500, anything less burns the lane too early and kills the backend movement. 180/360 is for carving only.

Bluey, the object is to be relatively end over end so coming around and allowing it hook so much will result in stripping oil from parts of the lane you dont want to. Minimal hook is the desired result.

Mikey, 180 or 360 and freshly scuff them with some abralon, my tests have proven the lowest grade you can actually bowl a tournment with and score is about 500, anything less burns the lane too early and kills the backend movement. 180/360 is for carving only.

Too much flare is no good and George, I have never seen you use a ball smoother than 360 yet hahaha! :p

Re: Pattern Wrecking

Oh, come on Michael, I've even seen George polish one up to 500!

Speaking of which, the way I heard the Melbourne Cup story, you sanded your VG white for the 300, George. Correct me and anyone else who heard this if I've been given dud information there.

Personally, I'm with Brian Voss on this issue. Ban sanded bowling balls. Anything capable of destroying the lane surface shouldn't be allowed.

Please practice this with great care. Especially if you're on the rhs, where the surface matters a lot, as it ages 8 times faster! I've been to enough tournaments where the sandpaper brigade have just butchered the midlane, making it impossible for the guys who can hook it without factory assistance by way of ball or strap on wrist.

Cheers,
Jason

Jason some see it as legalised cheating and to a point it is however it can be easily eliminated if lane changes are regular and practise is limited prio to warm up. It's more prominent in team bowling however I do it all the time in tournaments as it's important to get off to a good start and I'm not breaking any rules. As for the 300 game on TV, I was scuffing my ball with a 600 abralon pad every game during matchplay and after game 1 where I shot 172. It wasnt white (as you can see from the telecast) however you would bleed if you ran your finger over it :)

I know the limits of sandpaper as I have tested them more than just about anyone in this country. 500 is the absolute minimum, I've seen other guys use 360 but its not effective and they never win events I bowl.... join the dots

Hey Guys,

I really like this side/science of bowling. I have spent a fare bit of time over the last six months playing with ball surface so that it matches the delivery I am after to give the best result and feel for my league game. It is the side of bowling that really needs to be understood by any bowler that is thinking of bowling more than just league.

But if heavily sanded balls are to the determent of the tournament, should the governing body put a limit on sanded balls and grit level. Maybe make it that 500 grit is the minimum and it must have polish on the ball. Should be easy enough to govern especially at ranked events.

Just a thought.

Hey Guys,

I really like this side/science of bowling. I have spent a fare bit of time over the last six months playing with ball surface so that it matches the delivery I am after to give the best result and feel for my league game. It is the side of bowling that really needs to be understood by any bowler that is thinking of bowling more than just league.

But if heavily sanded balls are to the determent of the tournament, should the governing body put a limit on sanded balls and grit level. Maybe make it that 500 grit is the minimum and it must have polish on the ball. Should be easy enough to govern especially at ranked events.

Just a thought.

John, unfortunately as much as most bowlers will be affected by a few using incorrect equipment, there are those that just cannot muster a strong hitting ball without using loaded and heavily sanded equipment, therefore you are restricting their ability to score to the best of their ability. Until such rule changes happen and they never probably will, then unfortunately the majority will suffer like much else in life.

There is also no forseeable education forecast to give these guys insight either, that is the other 50% of the problem.

Jason some see it as legalised cheating and to a point it is however it can be easily eliminated if lane changes are regular and practise is limited prio to warm up. It's more prominent in team bowling however I do it all the time in tournaments as it's important to get off to a good start and I'm not breaking any rules. As for the 300 game on TV, I was scuffing my ball with a 600 abralon pad every game during matchplay and after game 1 where I shot 172. It wasnt white (as you can see from the telecast) however you would bleed if you ran your finger over it :)

I know the limits of sandpaper as I have tested them more than just about anyone in this country. 500 is the absolute minimum, I've seen other guys use 360 but its not effective and they never win events I bowl.... join the dots

Not nitpicking but just wondering, did you change lanes or opponent prior to sanding that ball before the 300 game lol! ;)

I have done extensive testing in the other direction, balls sanded 2000 grit abralon and above polished 2000 grit and above work wonders on the right lol :p

Thanks George..

Hi Ppl,
Little off the subject, but still i have an urge to ask,

If you had a bowling kit, just with 6 to 8 balls ,(any brands) and one of them were your spare ball, being plastic,
What would the other Five or seven range from , (I don't mean Brands) as what is the perfect five/seven ball arsenal?? To suit just the average that bowler that bowls weekly leagues and starting to bowl tournaments?

What would you also have in your bowling kit? Tape etc etc , spare slugs, please give advice for us less experience ,

Where would you go for information on reading well, one your ball is doing on the lane and two what the lanes are doing same question I Guess, that is what i am struggling the most, is reading the lanes , what line to shoot, in out, straight down, inside or outside , etc etc, is there any good books , or websites??

Please some advice would be great
Such a great Thread so Far!!!!!

Hi Glenn,

I went through a similar thing a few months ago when deciding to go from 14 to 15 lb. I found this article to be very useful:

YouTube - ‪Understanding Bowling Balls & Layouts‬‏

In general take a look at some of the videos also from Buddies Pro-Shop and try and find a video of someone that bowl similar to you. Most videos also show the layout and finish.

It's a starting point to learn from.

Back
Top Bottom