JUNIOR SHIELD(the future and pure class)

ok my apologies to the forest hill boys the word arogance was most likely the wrong choice of word.i know these boys and do not think they are arogant people i was merley just talking about the impression that was given off from a spectators point of view.
it was a very good and dominant win by the boys team and well deserved.
there is no doubt they were the strongest team my hope is that they all become great team bowlers and with more team experince they are well on the way
congrats to forest hill boys once again
my words have taken away the enjoyment of winning from a great group of guys
my apologies cheers

I have to agree with Tarsha on this.. In all of my experience with Presidents Shield for Victoria, we have been taught to be positive and stay confident.
From what I saw on the weekend, this is exactly what these Forry boys did. They played every shot with confidence and had fun..
And in the end, the tournament is about having fun, making new friends, learning, and like many others have said; inspiring the younger bowlers to continue to improve.
The Forry boys bowled as a team, and won as a team. Exactly the same as the Keon Park girls.

I would now like to congratulate my awesome Keon Park girls team on your suburb win, and to our boys team for managing to climb to 2nd place in the positional round, brilliant! Well done to the whole team on winning that overall Shield!! I am so proud to have been apart of that team, we really stuck together and backed each other all the way.

Also congratulation's to my team mates Becky and Nathaniel on making the All Stars team; it topped off bringing 2 Shields back home nicely!! :)

Another congratulations goes to all the other All Stars, and in general every other bowler who bowled on the weekend. The atmosphere in the centre was amazing and I am still trying to get my voice back. :)

Cheers, Laura.

I have said it before, and I'll say it again. Turning Junior shield into a handicap event will ruin the event as it was intended to run.

I have already posted about my results from junior shield, so ill turn you to another couple of stories.

Nick Williamson bowled what I believe to be his first junior shield under the captainship of Chris Castle and myself. Nick was certainly not anywhere near the bowler he is today that year. He attended every practise session and probably improved by around 15-20 pins just being around the other scratch juniors. Since that year, I have seen the kid go from strength to strength, and this year, I believe he received the captains position.

He top qualified for the Victorian side this year, and has shown strong competitiveness within the national youth tournaments. Would he have reached the level he is today without a goal like junior shield to urge his improvement on?

How about James Bowles. The first year I bowled shield, he was averaging about 150. Now he is a sucessful scratch tournament player in many Victorian Adult events and winning a Victorian Sports Series event!

Tracey Madden. First woman to throw a perfect game in rachuig. Where did she learn team bowling?

Cassie Staudinger anyone? Only a lazy few international medals to her name, as well as countless Aussie Reps?

Emily Robertson?

How about Craig Ryan?
(yeah, that's right, how about him, at least he follows the mighty Roos! ;))

Take this great tournament to handicap, and you will all but kill the chance of getting bowlers of these calibre comming through ever again.

Just my 2 cents.

Andrew

p.s. Bec, you star you! Shinboner spirit showing through time and time again :D

p.p.s I'd mention Brett Hughes, but... well..... nah....

Theres a saying i know that applies here. You dont strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.

Another vote for "handicap will kill the Junior Shield experience" right here.

I mean I haven't kept up with the latest in bowling all that recently, but I can look back on Junior Shield as some of the best team experience I got. I only bowled 2 years, in two different teams with multiple Victorian representatives in both teams, yet never ended up winning the event. The event is not about winning, not about all stars, it's about learning to bowl as a team to take that next step into State competition. And last I checked, President Shield had no handicap. How about the teams of Tasmina and Northern Territory - should they introduce handicap just to make it more even? Maybe perhaps they could get 7 boys and girls to actually rolloff? Forget scores and everything else, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Screw you AMF, and all your friends too.

Just Thought i would say a BIG thank you to all the bowlers from Keon Park. On the weekend you all made your centre and your team mates proud.

To my girls, YOU GUYS ROCK..... Jess and I are so proud of you. We never stopped working as a team, and thats more then any captain could ever ask for. (And your rides were all awesome as well) hehe... what more can i say 8 in a row, lol not a bad effort :p

And to the Boys team. Im sure Nathaniel and John have already told you how proud they were of you. To come from 4th in the positional round and to get up to 2nd, that truely shows how much you guys worked as a team..

To win the shield back to back, that was even more special.....

To the Forest Hill Boys. congratulations on your win, the keon park girls were almost always next to you every game and you boys never stopped fighting to get the points.

Also to all the other teams that participated on the weekend. I believe that this year everyone stepped it up.

P.s NO HANIDICAP SYSTEM PLEASE........ that would ruin this great tournament.

GO PARKERS xox

Every post here makes for a good agrument. I agree with everyone here! It should remain a scratch event.
I loved bowling Junior Shield every year since i was about 14 or so. Just making the team and getting your shirt was a great feeling as a junior, and cheering on your team to the point that when we went back to school on monday with no voice was funny! well to me anyway.
And now at the age of 25 and doing dunn shield, i proudly got the opportunity to coach my sunshine juniors and even though everyone may look and see that fair enough we finished 7th overall and the girls were 8th and the boys 5th. But what was more important to myself and my team was their improvements, i had 2 girls that have NEVER bowled in any tournament and had them bowl 20+ pins above their avg, i had 1 of my girls bowl her highest game 3 times over. And the look on her face was priceless. Now for my boys, i saw 230's and even a 251 bowled and i was proud no matter what they bowled. I had 3 of them win high game money. At the end of the day from my 15 bowlers as i only had 7 girls not 8, only 3 were slightly under avg but still happy.
I saw some great bowlers for the future, not only in my team but even in the Intercentre team, there were two 10 y/olds that were so consistant and had a beautiful release that they will master if they continue the way their going. If we handicap this event, it proves nothing, it means you can bowl worse and still get more! Where do you get in this! I hate that our leagues are handicapped, i'd love it to be scratch everywhere, but thats not my decision.

I had the best time being part of Junior Shield again i wish i was a kid again!
Just on a personal note - Thank you and congratulation to all my Sunshine Bowlers, you made me very proud over the weekend. And to the parents who came to cheer, too bad there wasn't more Sunshine supporters to come see - they must have been sleeping. And to Andrew and Cathy the managers, your work over the weekend was great.
Hope to be apart of it again next year. Till then,
Cheers

wayne parlby is an awesome coach. i have been coaching with him for a couple years now.. when i started caoching my average sat at about 90, and its now 160. wayne is the reason that i bowl like i do today.

second of all, i have been involved in the junior shield since '05, and bec whiting has always been an important part of the boronia team. she bowled really well on the weekend, and also showed us girls how to work as a team. (=. special mention to kirsten field who also bowled well and has made a great difference in boronia. boronia wont be the same. we will miss both of them next year!

i have to agree that the forry bowlers did work as a team and i know that alot of hard work went into that win. well done boys (=

although shield going handicapped has its advantages and disadvantages, i think making it handicapped is not such a good idea. it would give other teams a chance, yes, but we would also lose so many bowlers. i for one would consider not bowling if it is handicapped.

also a special mention to emily and the managers at boronia for being there for us this weekend. :)

cherrioo

I will avoid saying to much on this thread.....

Junior Shield is all about obtaining an experience and trying as a team to win...... or so I thought? Maybe I am mistaken but that is what team events are about right??

Well in most cases it appears so, however, I'm aware of a couple of bowlers who are extremely pleased with the fact that they made all stars. Congratulations to you, but one question. Is your name on the shield for being a part of the 2008 Junior Shield team?

I'm not about to name names, as these individuals know who they are. There is a lot more to bowling team events then individual glory.... A LOT MORE.

I was speaking to one of the juniors from Keon Park who was quite disappointed with her performance individually. She has pretty frustrated with how she bowled. The highlight of the conversation was about 2 minutes in, when she said "at the end of the day I may be disappointed with how I bowled, but frankly I don't give a stuff because we won!"

That is what team bowling is all about... Bonding with your teammates in an attempt to win.

To those individuals seeking individual glory, maybe its time to either:
a) focus on contributing to the TEAM, or
b) step up to the plate and seek individual glory in Canberra this weekend.

If I ran an event like this, I wouldn't recognise all stars. Why you may ask? If there is no all star team, then the individuals amongst us would (hopefully) bowl with the team as their number 1 aim.

I'm pretty sure I'd be correct in thinking that a bowler like Bec Whiting, would be more then happy to trade in her all star award for her name on the girls shield.

If this post rubs anyone up the wrong way, maybe they should consider their own contribution to the team they represented. Because to get offended by what I have said indicates one thing, you were there for yourself.

I'm pretty sure I'd be correct in thinking that a bowler like Bec Whiting, would be more then happy to trade in her all star award for her name on the girls shield.

You are 100% correct Craig, i would trade in my 5 all star awards any day just to have my name on that girls shield. Im pretty sure Boronia girls have come 2nd for the past 3 or 4 years and in the 8 years i bowled Junior Shield Keon Park Girls won

To NOT recognise All Stars would be wrong.

Surely, it is your aim to win the team event but only one team can do this. But any bowler can aspire to be part of the All Star team whether their team wins or not. As Bec said she would gladly give 5 All Star awards for her name to appear on the Shield, but in reality she can't, so without the All Star recognition what would she have?

You can certainly bowl in a team event and be rewarded for doing well even if your team doesn't win. Should we do away with other individual awards in team sports such as the Brownlow Medal, Best and Fairest or MVP awards just because the winners of these play in a team? I don't think so.

Obviously to win the Junior Shield is the ultimate goal of the weekend but in reality some teams are just not going to win, so to have something to aim for is a good thing.

I think the only way to keep this event scratch is for their to be some fairly heavy investment in Junior Development by all AMF centres from now on. I hope it does stay scratch for the Junior bowlers sakes but can't see it without their being a major effort to get the juniors to stick with the sport and get a lot more to take it up.

As I did not take up the sport until I was 19 I was not priveledged enough to bowl in a Junior Shield team and besides it did not even exist then. However I too believe that the ultimate recognition for the representatives from any of the teams is to get your name on that shield as it is there forever.

I am lucky enough to have been in 2 winning Adult Dunn Shield teams for Northcote in the 90's which people rememeber but they don't remember that I top averaged in the Shield in 2001 or made the all star in 2004. I would have gladly handed them over to get my name on the shields again without a second thought.

The All Star / Top Average etc. are ways a bowler can feel like they achieved success on the weekend when they are not in a side capable of winning. My point is that they should continue to acknowledge the top 5 averagng boys and girls on the weekend and the high score achievers to encourage them to return.

But at the end of the day All Stars shouldnt be even in the thoughts or even a goal to make. Ive made several all stars in several team events but they dont mean crap to me at all. The reason you bowl a team event is because its a team event, not a individual. If your team dosent win well then there is next year and so on.. Im from the country and we have c/cup and junior c/cup which is very similar. I have never won a C/Cup but have won 8 all stars. If i want to win a individual achievement i would bowl a singles tournament. The reason i bowl C/Cup is because i want to win as a team and with my team mates. Maybe have a best and fairest bowler which is voted by managers of the individual teams would be a idea. If you do bowl well you know yourself that you have and im quite sure that others will comment on the way you have bowled for the weekend as well. Thats just my opinion and everyone is entitled to theirs. I guess at the end of the day there is no right or wrong and the most important thing is that everyone enjoys themselves (both bowlers and spectators.

Deano

Craig you hit the nail on the head. Throughout my involvement with junior shield the main aim was to bowl well and show respect to your opponent. The fact that Keon Park won was a bonus. Our main focus was always to arrive as a team, Support your team mates and always present yourself well and act like you knew what you were doing. I can honestly say that nearly all of the guys and girls in the teams i coached bowled above there averages. Generally by quite a margin to and im talking 30 pin a game. To say i was proud to be involed with these kids and to see some of them grow into fine Junior state and Australian team members is an understatement.

If the Junior shield is made Handicap you will erode the talent pool because you can bet teams will load up with low average bowlers just to win. Junior shield should not be about winning. It should be about proving yourself against the best the state has to offer. If you win its a bonus.

Phil

Craig you hit the nail on the head. Throughout my involvement with junior shield the main aim was to bowl well and show respect to your opponent. The fact that Keon Park won was a bonus. Our main focus was always to arrive as a team, Support your team mates and always present yourself well and act like you knew what you were doing. I can honestly say that nearly all of the guys and girls in the teams i coached bowled above there averages. Generally by quite a margin to and im talking 30 pin a game. To say i was proud to be involed with these kids and to see some of them grow into fine Junior state and Australian team members is an understatement.

If the Junior shield is made Handicap you will erode the talent pool because you can bet teams will load up with low average bowlers just to win. Junior shield should not be about winning. It should be about proving yourself against the best the state has to offer. If you win its a bonus.

Phil

How is that any different to a team loading up with scratch bowlers?

I'm sorry but what on earth do you mean loading up with scratch bowlers. Isnt Junior shield about scratch bowlers representing there centers. How can you load up with bowlers. All centres have a roll off to select there teams if you are in the best 7 your in the team. No stacking there. Unless your talking about Northcote 2000 but im guessing you wouldn't know about that little episode. Probably one of the reasons Keon Park have been so strong for so long. But that my young man is another story.

Phil

Your right I don't know about Northcote.

We had a few years ago when Forest Hill put together a "super team" to win the shield. They weren't successful.

The Forest Hill boys team this year was also put together a team of bowlers from other centres.

As for roll offs if you bring bowlers from other centres who are scratch bowlers then they will keep out any low average bowlers.

And before anyone jumps down my throat I am not having a go at Forest Hill for winning this year.

lol keon park are known for recruiting bowlers from other centers
and this years forrest hills boys was the super team cause they are all mates bowling together
if ya wanna have fun u bowl with ya mates not your fault if u all average over 200 they are all mates cause they bowl for there state together simple as that

p.s philby gwhtiing is in his 40s not that young at all he is my dad lol

Back
Top Bottom