Question: Victorian State Championships

and also if you promote a long way out from the event, it pays to throw some reminders in along the way

i saw the forms at rama in november, then went into retirement, then last weekend realised it had already started

and this forum is very highly read by the "tournament" bowler, it does pay to use this site frequently, it is a proven winner, no matter of what you may think of it

Howdy,

Being a NSW bowler, I probably shouldnt have a say at all in this situation, but seeing I wanted to be invloved, I will...

I wanted to bowl in these championships with friends of mine (both from NSW and there in Victoria) but the sheet states only Victorian residents (inc. Albury) were only allowed to bowl. I don't find this fair, but thats fine with me. Ill go visit my friends in ACT instead...

Also, running it over 3 weeks makes an impact on numbers, but at the same time it helps bowlers make the time to do their squads and allow make up squads easily available. I prefer the 3 weeks format as it allows me and ALL (I do stress "ALL") my bowling friends to bowl in different squads.

Thats all I have for now, ill add to it later...

Also the funny thing is, I knew about these championships before most of the Victorian bowlers via the Victenpins site. It's a problem with promotion in this case. Also its way too early in the year to be run as well. Hopefully Victenpins wants to keep both Junior and Adult bowlers as they're pushing the Adults away and pulling a few Juniors in. These days you have to try and accomodate as many bowlers as you can since there isn't enough bowlers anymore.

Try what NSW do, have their Junior State Championships around now and then run the Adult Championships in June.

Promotion of the State Champs has been minimal. I bowl league at Moorabbin, but it has never been promoted to our league!

Entry forms were nowhere to be seen. VERY POOR.

Secondly, why are the Senior State Championships tied to an early date to suit the Juniors? Why not run separate State titles for Juniors and Adults?

Just my 5 cents worth
Sumo

Peter maybe because your centre manager wont put out entry forms for anything except his centre or AMF tournaments. I know from past experience that various centres in Victoria refuse to display entry forms that involves another centre running these events. The Vic committee can only deliver / post these entry forms to all Victorian Centres if they are too small minded to display them then you should complain to the Manager at your centre and ask them why they have not displayed these entry forms.

I think what everyone forgets is that the State committee meet once a month have plans in place for all the events that they have to run and organise, give up a lot of man hours to be able to provide you and all the other bowlers with events that should foster our sport. What the State committee lack is the support of ALL the Bowling Centres in Victoria including very little support from AMF Centre Managers.

For our SPORT to move forward we need ALL centres and Managers and Bowlers to support these State run events.The more League bowlers that we can attract to these events the more successful our tournaments will be in the future.

State Championships is there to encourage all averages to participate and improve their game and knowledge. Without them we would not have such a great history of success as Victorians have enjoyed over the last 50 years.:cool:

I dont know if the centre was "advertising" the event over the mic or not at the start of each league, as l do not bowl at Moorabbin, but l can say this, the first time l saw the entry forms were at Moorabbin bowl, way back in November. They were on the counter, in one of the flyer racks.

It maybe just a case of people dont see anything in the state champs.

I mean l personally see it as a must do if l wish to bowl rachuig, other than that l see no need to bowl this event. Thats just me, and how l see this event.

It's funny how the low average bowler will happily bowl for a patch and some lolly money but the higher average bowlers only view the championships as a MUST DO because of Rachuig.

I'm not having a go at anybody here so just sit back down ;)

But as Rob stated earlier, maybe it is time to revamp the event and try to add a bit of enthusiasm back into it.

Liz

It is okay to say re-vamp, but how about sending the Vic Committee your ideas and concerns in WRITING, maybe then these volunteers can try and spruce up the championships. Maybe defending champions get to bowl for free the following year. A small incentive to defend their title regardless of grade or averages. Maybe Vic Tenpins needs to publish a glossy results booklet and distribute to all bowlers who have competed and all the bowling centres help promote this event. We need these events to bolster the low number yje industry is experiencing at the moment. That is why something like the Darryl Holt Challenge is so good for the Sport.

And for those bowlers who dont want to bowl championships......DONT.......
No one is forcing you, but it is a thrill for all our League bowlers who participate to meet up with other bowlers from different centre to compete and try and win that elusive Title in ANY grade. A lot of long term friendships have been made thru these State events and have been a good promotion for the sport within the industry.

If Moorabbin are the host centre then I would presum that the centre manager would have pushed for his own League bowlers to participate in this event. I would imagine that even Patrick Birtig would have pushed the entries.

But I would have thought that AMF Management would have got behind this event and promoted the Championships in all their Victorian centres. Imagine getting 20 league bowlers from all AMF centres bowling in all 3 formats, Singles, Doubles and 4 Person teams. The Entries over all would have been staggering and a real buzz to bowl in. But like usual and as I have said before we do not promote within our own Industry.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom