Should Junior Guardian's be accredited

• Yes

Votes: 38 71.7%
  • No

Votes: 15 28.3%

• Total voters

Towie

The BIG BALD MAN
I had an idea about this on the weekend while at the SQ Zones held at Greenslopes. You should to be accredited to call yourself a Coach and you should be accredited to call yourself a Manager through TBA. Well why then shouldn't you be accredited to be a Junior Guardian and why isn't there a course for somebody to do to learn about this position? This would help a lot of people and then everybody would understand the role of Junior Guardian. Give them a accreditation card like you get when your a accredited Coach or Manager to wear so when your at tournaments you know who to look for and who to talk to.

Probably not a bad idea. Maybe a component could be included in the Managers course.
Mostly the Junior Guardians are appointed by the Centre so it would be to their advantage to send someone to one of these courses.

Our Centres Junior Guardians taking bowlers to the Nationals in Qld are all parents who have little or no time or interest or money to attend any such course. They are struggling to find all the money needed to take the kids and another $60-$80 on top to get accreditation..... It is bad enough that they have to get their blue card as it is with all the paperwork involved in that.

I can understand anyone involved in State or National Teams should be accredited but not the local centres.

In Brisbane/Qld (this is where my kids currently bowl) it seems that anyone can turn up at any Junior Tournament wearing Coach or Manager on their shirt. No one seems to check to make sure that these people are qualified, registered or have blue cards.

I believe that if you want to wear the "title" then you should have done a course, passed and be currently registered for that position. A Junior Guardian course is a great idea i'm just not sure how many people would do this.

I also agree with above where costs play a big part of this for many which is why people aren't doing the courses and registering with anyone as they don't seem to be manditory - and if they are no one is endorsing it.

No mannah I am not saying "all people to attend a course". Just the person or persons who take on this job have a duty of care to the Juniors that are under there control. Maybe not a course but an information pack that has guide lines to follow so everybody knows what they have to do and it is the same for all.
I totally agree with you *teddybear* it seems that anybody can call themselves any title they want. I am a quilifed coach and a team Manager ansd there are people out there who call themselves the same and they have not done the courses or put in the time, money and effort that I have.

In Brisbane/Qld (this is where my kids currently bowl) it seems that anyone can turn up at any Junior Tournament wearing Coach or Manager on their shirt. No one seems to check to make sure that these people are qualified, registered or have blue cards.
I believe that if you want to wear the "title" then you should have done a course, passed and be currently registered for that position. A Junior Guardian course is a great idea i'm just not sure how many people would do this.
I also agree with above where costs play a big part of this for many which is why people aren't doing the courses and registering with anyone as they don't seem to be manditory - and if they are no one is endorsing it.
if that is true thats scary.
I know our centre makes sure everyone has Blue Cards and if they dont they will help them apply.

Towie i think its good idea if it could be keep to a miniumal cost as or something a centre or assoication could fund for the person.

Something i would love to see on a state level is a Junior Guardian and Directors Forum where ideas and best practises could be shared.
Some centres have people who have been involved with juniors for many years, it would be great for the sport if they had a platform to pass on their knowledge to some of the new guardians out there.

as a swimming teacher a blue card is suppose to be visible when around children,this is sent in a letter to you before your blue card arrives.as for managers,coaches and guardians, courses for coaches and managers i can see as being beneficial but guardians are usually parents of children that are bowling and are going to be there anyway.
as a bowler of many years and being on committees and been a junior guardian,fundraising to get juniors away to championships is the biggest job,not to mention uniforms,organising squads and accommodation all of which are never ending.as long as they have their blue card in sight guardians have a big enough job as it is.
this is just my own personal view.

First year education students need to get a suitability (blue) card before they attend ANY practical sessions, even though the regular teacher is ALWAYS in the room.

Extending the theory then - Shouldn't all team officials be made to obtain such a card? I understand that local centre's often take parents as chaparones and/or managers, but IMO, it should be a global responsibility.

Back
Top Bottom