Is this the Japanese version of the bowling show

George there are [at least] three aspects of the show [given the short clip provided and it matters almost not at all that it is generally impossible to understand what's going on in any specific sense] that are glaringly obvious and that appear to combine to make it a sure thing.

Firstly forget it's bowling [although quality performance is a key - and is in fact really the 4th aspect]! Now having removed the "bowling specific" aspect I wonder if you or someone can spot three [there are likely more but I stopped at three] - for most anyone with a relative sense of observation - or possibly anyone left handed - determining these should be a picnic.

If someone could transfer the obvious into the mind of someone in authority for TV production in this country - we would have bowling on the tube to the same degree we now having celebrity cooking.

Cheers

Steve

If you watch the 2nd video on youtube, one of the bowlers is wearing denim short shorts and white leg warmers .... something I doubt we will ever see over here?

The winners are hairspry, gel and mascara

But compeling viewing - if only to figure out what they are saying....

George there are [at least] three aspects of the show [given the short clip provided and it matters almost not at all that it is generally impossible to understand what's going on in any specific sense] that are glaringly obvious and that appear to combine to make it a sure thing.

Firstly forget it's bowling [although quality performance is a key - and is in fact really the 4th aspect]! Now having removed the "bowling specific" aspect I wonder if you or someone can spot three [there are likely more but I stopped at three] - for most anyone with a relative sense of observation - or possibly anyone left handed - determining these should be a picnic.

If someone could transfer the obvious into the mind of someone in authority for TV production in this country - we would have bowling on the tube to the same degree we now having celebrity cooking.

Cheers

Steve

I'll have a crack at the 3 Steve

1. Colour - its everywhere, masking units, where the crowd is sitting, where the girls are sitting. Girls are wearing quite colourful gear, I think the whole colour angle is underestimated at times. It doesnt look like a bowl, more like a TV set of a game show

2. Sound effects and graphics - Really first class, very eye catching, clear (even though its in Japanese), and put in a simple way as to explain the format to everyone at home. Sound effects are very japanese but its very catching.

3. Production - quite flawless, the lighting, the change in the camera angles, focusing on the girls reaction after a shot, constantly showing the crowd clapping and in appreciation of the 'show'.

Your quite right Steve, its like the bowling is irrelevant. Bowling in this production just happens to be in their but the formula for a TV show I'd imagine would be quite consistant amongst high rating like shows on TV.

Am I right?

There's more in the "related Videos" on the R/H side.
The venue's made for the show. Great production. Let's kidnap the producer and crew, bring them here and put bowling on primetime. You don't have to know what's going on - the presentation is so good.

great looking show - would love to see it here - although I doubt anything like that with the current show we have - although couldn't understand what was being said the commentary was still better than what we have - didn't have to mute it once

great looking show - would love to see it here - although I doubt anything like that with the current show we have - although couldn't understand what was being said the commentary was still better than what we have - didn't have to mute it once

Hey, I don't think we should knock the efforts of those who DO SOMETHING or ANYTHING to promote bowling on TV in Australia. Most PPl just engage in wishful thinking about what 'should happen', but don't do anything themselves.

You don't have to look very hard to see what sort of different budgets are involved, plus the co-operation which must exist between the Centres involved, the Show producers, and the Competitors.
No doubt it's a success in Japan, and rewards those involved, but someone had to make it first, then sell it, and only then reap the rewards.

Nothing's easy. ( except those things done by other people.)

As one of those commentators that obviously has to be muted (you know the one, face for radio, voice for silent movies), you have to realise that in a relative sense, we work on a shoe string. If it were not for the massive financial sacrifice of one man, Tony Drexel, creator, producer, editor, cameraman and all out driving force behind the Tenpin Bowling Show, we would have no show at all. Be grateful we have someone like Tony and his family who are prepared to dedicate all their spare time in the interests of furthering our sport.

Steve, as I see it the main 3 aspects are

1) Glamour. The players are presented in their best possible light. THey smile, show emotion and appear to genuinely enjoy performing on TV. Pepole would genuinely enjoy watching the players, whether playing or not.

2) Setting. The centre is beautifully set up for this presentation. There are no views of social bowlers, bars, ball racks, counters etc. It has a stadium feel, like a venue made for the event

3) Enthusiasm. Both of the commentators AND THE SPECTATORS. Australian bowling spectators seem loathe to show any outward signs of enthusiasm, politely applauding strikes or split conversions. spares get no response at all. We need atmosphere. THe commentators certainly seem enthusiastic, but I don't know if they know what they are looking at or not.

Brenton - nicely put - you and those around do what you can with what you have - the Lyndsay Packer's of this world would have a heart attack if they were asked to present one hour of controlled, informative sports coverage - let alone week after week. Having done my [small] share of bowling TV in Australia and elsewhere I believe I appreciate what it takes to be prepared and to get the job done.

Not everyone will like the result - that's a given - but then you simply offer to step aside and let them have a first hand crack at it. I did that in Manila one time doing a two hour show covering the Asian finals of the Brunswick TofC - the boofhead who wanted to run the TV coverage died when I stuck the microphone in his hand - nothing else needed to be said...well certainly nothing came from him!

On the other point glamour is absolutely what I saw - the strip audience appears to be predominantly male - I'll bet the viewing audience is too...as a result I bet it rates well, the setting is also first class [a little dated but that has no negative impact at all] - and certainly the whole production is driven well by good performance [I like the "vast" back ends they are given - reminds me of the TV series from the US in the 1960's Bowling Stars - it seemed that you couldn't miss] and genuine enthusiasm comes as a result of good performance.

For a lefty you're pretty much on the case.

oh - is it worth mentioning that in my view the best bowling commentator we have ever had is/was Terry Wenban....Mackie was good so too Chris B....Terry Wenban...outstanding.

Cheers

Steve

oh - is it worth mentioning that in my view the best bowling commentator we have ever had is/was Terry Wenban....Mackie was good so too Chris B....Terry Wenban...outstanding.
Yeah, I'd agree with that. He was quality.
Only heard him commentate once mind you, he was paired up with Tas-TV (now WIN) football and racing commentator Colin McNiff in the '91 Australian Masters from Moonah, won by Sue Cassell & Peter Van Kempen.
That would be featured in 'The Fast Lane - 30 Years of Australian Tenpin Bowling' a video that came out a few months after the '91 Nationals and was hosted by PBA pro, Dave Davis and narrated by McNiff.
Another one I thought was very solid was Gordon Bray, the former Rugby Union commentator. Very professional I thought.
Who were the ones that commentated on the old Goldpin shows we used to get at lunchtime in the cricket back in the 80's and early 90's Steve?
I thought they were good.

Who were the ones that commentated on the old Goldpin shows we used to get at lunchtime in the cricket back in the 80's and early 90's

I seem to remeber Chris Bomballis or a name like that being involved.

Tiger - there's nothing wrong with your memory - The Fast Lane video was something we did at the ATBC in the early 1990's Davis was used because of the fact he is "after all" Dave Davis - but because of his past Melbourne Cup visits he was of course familiar with Australia and the sport here. Some time later when I joined Brunswick I had access to their Pro Staff for various events in Asia - I used Davis as often as possible - if you look up in your dictionary the word "professional" I think you'll find a picture of Dave Davis..that's all that needs to be said.

As to the the other - sorry I can't recall who made up the commentary teams over the years of those great Goldpin shows - other than Steve Mackie, Terry as well I believe and Chris Bombolas - Chris is now Chairman of Brisbane Roar. I guess there were others but I just don't remember who.

Thx Tiger keep well

Steve

Who were the ones that commentated on the old Goldpin shows we used to get at lunchtime in the cricket back in the 80's and early 90's

I seem to remeber Chris Bomballis or a name like that being involved.

I still have the tapes at home of these I dont mind dusting them off every now and then and watcing the old man bowling

The commentators from memory were

Bomber
Terry wenban
Tony Rodrick
Janet Baker
Dana Miller Mackie
Tom Kurie (sorry if i spelt your name wrong tom)
I think the late Allan Atkins did some aswell
and Warren stewart did a little bit aswell

I dont know if we should say Terry was the best commentator we had as i remember very well that in the match between my father and tony rodrick in the 1989 coca cola classic he said that it was a battle of the left handers now terry dad and tony are very very good friends so you would think that terry would know that my old man was a right hander you will never live it down terry we all remember

i will have to go home and have a watch and see how good my memory is

steve jones said:
Tiger - there's nothing wrong with your memory - The Fast Lane video was something we did at the ATBC in the early 1990's Davis was used because of the fact he is "after all" Dave Davis - but because of his past Melbourne Cup visits he was of course familiar with Australia and the sport here. Some time later when I joined Brunswick I had access to their Pro Staff for various events in Asia - I used Davis as often as possible - if you look up in your dictionary the word "professional" I think you'll find a picture of Dave Davis..that's all that needs to be said.
Oh I dunno about that Steve (re: a good memory) I seem to get as mixed up with my memories as anyone else these days I find, I knew about the Fast Lane thing because I taped it off the telly when it was shown here in about early '92, it's still on a tape around here somewhere, but it's on BETA lol.
Dave Davis was a thorough gentleman and very professional when I met him, had a legion of fans watching him when he was bowling some shots for the cameras I recall.
My memories of that Masters show with Wenban & McNiff commentating (that I think is pretty well on the money) would be sitting high up in the stand surrounded by the very vocal NSW women's team (they were in raptures because they got the double plus the Women's and Overall at Rachuig earlier), the centre was absolutely boiling HOT and the crowd was thinning out by the frame in the Men's final because the day was really starting to drag on and everyone had to go get ready for the Rachuig Dinner around at the old Laetare Gardens (now demolished and turned into a housing estate), by the time Van Kempen sealed it the place was near empty.
I remember Rob Zikman walking out with steam coming out his ears at losing the final, he dropped a 6-10 late to cost him the title - quite understandably, was NOT a very happy chap.

steve jones said:
As to the the other - sorry I can't recall who made up the commentary teams over the years of those great Goldpin shows - other than Steve Mackie, Terry as well I believe and Chris Bombolas - Chris is now Chairman of Brisbane Roar. I guess there were others but I just don't remember who.
Cheers Steve and thanks, stay well!
Yes I remember Bombolas, he used to write articles in the AMF What's The Score mag too didn't he?
They were good shows those Goldpin's - Browns Plains Tenpin Bowl in Brisbane wasn't it? (Is that still around anymore?)
Last one I saw would've been ten or twelve years ago, had Steve Lovell doing his hip manouvre/dance thing, and a very young Mick Little with long hair (threw the ball great that show too - I think, I could be wrong).
Here's one from the old days Steve, Norman May.
The old Olympics broadcaster from the ABC for decades, did the South Pacific Classic with Steve Mackie in '83.
Androo - I think you're on the money, I remember Bob Cook on some shows as well actually now you mention it, he was the bloke that did the Pin Action mag.

Back
Top Bottom