Is There A Age Change to Senior Tournaments?

CY

Could someone please enlighten me has there been a change to the age limit on the Senior Tournaments for 2006.

Previously the age cut was 45 years and up but I have noted that the QLD Seniors Tournament is 50 years.

I know there was talk of it going back up to 50 but has this been instigated.

According to the 2006 TBA Ranking System Information . . .

3.15 TBA will only be Ranking Seniors events if entry forms define that all participants must have had their 50th birthday before January 1st in the current year.

Of course, this only applies to the 6 Nationally ranked Senior events.

Hi All;
As I understand the new rules to get ranked tournaments sactioned all bowlers need to be over 50.
If you required more information you could email Peter Coburn from TBAL.
Ray

50?? Youngsters like that are allowed to pose as seniors? Good God!

Re: Is there an age change to Senior Tournaments?

I'm with you Jim! The Government says you're a senior at 60 and that's good enogh for me. At 50 bowlers have just reached middle age.

Why not break the Seniors up into variuos age categories?

1) 45 - 49 Junior Seniors
2) 50 - 59 Seniors
3) 60 - 69 Master Seniors
4) 70 - 100 Veteran Seniors

When ATBSO first started out in 1992 ATBC did not want to know seniors, but as Seniors has become a marketable item it appears that TBAL are now calling the shots, what about us guys and gals who patiently waited to turn 45 so they could join this great organisation and now we are left out in the cold. I guess some of us will have to wait patiently again, I hope they don't move the goal posts again !!

Black Duck said:
When ATBSO first started out in 1992 ATBC did not want to know seniors, but as Seniors has become a marketable item it appears that TBAL are now calling the shots, what about us guys and gals who patiently waited to turn 45 so they could join this great organisation and now we are left out in the cold. I guess some of us will have to wait patiently again, I hope they don't move the goal posts again !!

It is not that Seniors have suddenly become a marketable item, far from it. ATBSO is still very much the current seniors bowling organisation, and it is not changing (as far as I am aware at this stage) from its minimum age requirement of 45 - so there is nothing stopping you from joining once you have reached your 45th birthday.

The age change only applies to RANKED Seniors tournaments - this is set at 50 because as far as FIQ and WTBA policies go, seniors are 50 +. Whether we agree with it or not, TBA has aligned the ranked tournaments with the world bodies' age requirement - our national representatives must be 50 to compete with their peers overseas.

There is nothing stopping promotors from organising seniors tournaments for ATBSO members of all ages...they just won't be ranked on the national scale. Many bowlers will still travel to a tournament, if the number of games, format and the entry costs are reasonable, irrespective of whether or not it is ranked.

Just my humble, 60 year old opinion ;)

Jagga Morgan

I can't comprehend how we can have one age for one part of the Seniors and a different age for the big tournaments, meaning there are two classes of Seniors.
As a result of the age inconsistency, I have taken the decision to not bowl again in the Seniors until 2008, when I will be eligible for both.
This is not sour grapes or being petulant, just a result of frustration with the situation.
I have enjoyed the ATBSOV tournaments that I have bowled in over the past couple of years, but to be ineligible when the main tournaments are being bowled makes the rest of the involvement a waste of time.
Sumo
48 years young and counting
"I plan to live forever..... or die trying."

Sumo, that was the point that I was making before Jagga enlightened me that TBAL brought the age limit for ranked events to 50 to fall in line with World requirements. I still cannot see why Senior tournaments cannot be
be run for over 45's and the 50 and over players can be ranked at the completion of the tournament for the ranking requirements, or as you said maybe it is time we in the 45 - 49 bracket waited for a few more years and then re-joined.

46 years of age young and watched a 61 year old die in my arms on the weekend (heart attack) You all look after yourselves out there

The changes made this year has stopped me bowling tournies this year after looking forward to bowling Canberra this year and organising somewhere to stay only to find out im not old enough. To make matters worse I just recieved an entry to bowl in Adelaide (which i bowled in last year).

All I wish to do is bowl in a circuit where I feel I may be competative and enjoy.

I heard a rumour there may be changes next year as to when you turn 50 whether you can bowl or not. Heres hoping ;) ;)

all i can say is that certain tournamemts will not be a big as they were last year due to those bowlers who arent 50 yet can bowl in there home centres

Back
Top Bottom