Seniors Ranking Tournaments

L

Lefty

I am hoping this post will generate some discussion:

Personally, I think the seniors ranking points system needs changing and I intend lobbying TBA myself, would like some feedback from other seniors first.

I think seniors ranking tournaments should be for over 50s, the ranking points are for 50+. a senior representative team will be 50+, so why not keep it uniformly equal?

There can be a lot of difference in ability between a 45 year old and a 55 year old., not just scoring ability, I am talking about stamina and the ability to get through 12 games. For instance, most of the ladies that made the cut in the Adelaide tournament were closer to 45 than 60! It would be unthinkable to allow an adult aged 25 to bowl in a junior tournament against a 15 year old, yet the seniors are expected to bowl against people 15 years younger than them - get my drift? I enjoy bowling against the younger ladies, Jeanette, Cheryl etc but even on a good day I am not likely to beat them, and I need to win more cash to fund my bowling dream - making an Australian team!

Another matter for discussion: should rankings points be changed slightly if we bowl in a tournament which is not specifically for seniors, ie should the highest placed senior get the 100 points, the second highest placed senior get 90 etc. Some of us are spending hundreds of dollars bowling against people half our age, just to get 10 points.

I feel the way the system is at present the bowlers at the top are not necessarily the best, but most likely the people with the most money. I would bowl in every tournament going if I had the money - or a sponsor, unfortunately I dont have the funds for that.

Feedback please...

All Senior Events

G' day All
I am 62 years old and find it hard to compete with some of the younger POWER BOWLERS, but as there is nothing for the 60 plus I will keep trying.
I tend to agree with lefties views but I also have thoughts on oiling patterns, which are ;
Oiling patterns should be more consistant i.e. Canberra no oil , Melbourne gallons and Adelaide enormous differance from one end of the house to other.
I have written to T.B.A.L. on this matter after the Melbourne Cup but I have not had a reply on this matter. I am hopeful that one day I will receive an answer.
I hope all Seniors make their views known on whatever their beef may be, If you dont speak up nothing will be done about it.
Ray

Seniors rankings

Ray, I also find the lane condition hard to handle, particularly as I come from Queensland where the lanes are dry as can be. However, I dont think we can have the same condition all the time, TBA regulations say a 3:1 condition, but they dont say how many units do they, so we can have 3 times not much, or 3 times an awful lot if you get my drift. :lol: I think it would make more sense to lay down an FIQ type of condition, then those of us trying to make "the team" would hopefully learn from the experience and we could likely sort our equipment out. Having bowled 2 years in Sydney and now 2 years in Queensland, I feel I am playing Russian Roulette trying to guess which balls I can take away to a tournament these days.

G'All;
As the oil pattern is 1:3 MAX. I feel it leave to much to chance.
e.g. A reverse block to 40 feet is also legal, but I would like to see people score on those conditions.
What I was after from TBAL was a narrower or more precise range. But a reply of any kind would have been nice.
Why can't an FIQ condition be used???????
See you all in Melbourne.
Ray

Ray,

You said

Why can't an FIQ condition be used???????

From the WTBA Rule Book
10.10 Lane conditioning requirements
10.10.1 The following lane conditioning requirements shall apply to all competition conducted or
approved by the WTBA.
10.10.2 The same type/brand of dressing shall be used across the entire width and length of the
dressed portion of the lane, and the same product shall apply to all lanes used in competition.
Following any application, in the dressed portion of the lane (including any buffed
portion); there shall be dressing at all points on the lane surface. As guidelines the crosswise
ratio of oil should be 2.5:1, and the lengthwise ratio should be tapered.
10.10.3 The minimum and maximum dressing distances, including the buffed portion, shall neither
be less than 28 feet (8.535 mm) nor more than 45 feet (13.715 mm). This rule should not
be interpreted to mean that 28 feet are recommended distances. Any distance between 28
feet and 45 feet may be used to dress the lanes.

From the TBA Policy
3. What is the new Ratio policy for our events?
TBA has set maximum of 3:1 ratio for all ranked events where the oil length is
38-42 feet. Where the oil length is between 35 feet and less than 38 feet the
ratio may go to 4:1. The previous minimum five unit rule is replaced by the
simple requirement of oil to be present edge board to edge board. This maybe
one or two units, but the same above ratio exists.

Doesn't look too much different to me!!

Ray WTBA is not FIQ

As the guy setting the lane conditions
for the adult and senior nationals this
year im a little concerned about some
of the attitudes towards the tba lane policy
i belive it is a step in the right direction
but i think we need to have a minimum of 8 units
on the edge boards .
that would mean we would have a minimum of 24 units
in the centre of the lane
from what i have seen some techs try to dry the edge boards
to create swing area . unfortunatly by doing this they make the
centre of the lane drier.
the guys who shoot inside tend to get over under reactions
the guys who shoot outside have a shot
in my book thats not fair
i don't ask for the lane conditions to help me but i don't like them to hinder me

Gday Pulse - Tech
I have resigned myself to the fact that lane conditions will not be changed by me or my efforts.
The 3:1 oil pattern means MAXIMUM 3 not MINIMUM so that it is possiale to have a oil pattrn1:1.
Thanks guys but no more comment from me. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Ray

I have been reading all the comments about lane conditions regarding SA Seniors event. Every event I have bowled in with the TBAL condition laid down has varied dramatically and all are supposed to be the same pattern. I am sure that every centre has a different idea as to what is required so why bother, as far as I understand the condition as posted on the wall at the bowl for the SA Seniors event failed to meet TBAL requirements. If this is the case what is the procedure when the condition does not comply.

Secondly I would like to know who Pulse Tech is, he states that he is setting the conditions for the Senior Nationals, as President of Victorian seniors we have arranged for a condition to be laid down, this condition is in no way the same condition that TBA are laying down for the Adult nationals.

:D Steve I Am Greg Robertson Head tech Amf Forest hill
And yes we have already worked out the pattern

Hi All;
It is nice that all this has been arranged [oil pattern ] , But please tell the rest of us SENIORS, how obout it Steve!!! .
I am sure all states would like to know as well.:D :D :D
Ray

Ray

The oiling pattern for the Seniors Challenge will be basically the Forest Hill league condition with slightly more oil on the heads good back ends, a high scoring condition on both sides of the lane, a very fair condition.

If you want further details I will see what I can do

Hey Guys,

You've got to remember the 3:1 ratio is exactly that, it is a guideline
that governs that amount of oil that can be laid in certain parts of the lanes. It is not an oil pattern in itself.

So you can have reasonably easy high scoring lanes or fairly
difficult lanes and they could all fall inside the ratio guidelines.

Hope this helps a bit.

Drew

G'day Steve;
Thank you for the info. THIS NEXT BIT WILL BRING MORE COMMENT. As you are aware the oil pattern on the left and on the right are not always the same.
All most of us want is a fair shake.
See you all in Melbourne in October.
Ray

C'mon Ray - have you forgotten that Belly's a lefty :lol:

I'm only sorry that I am not bowling :cry:

Jagga 8)

Just to confirm

The oil pattern that is being laid down for the Senior Nationals and both Graded and Scratch Challenges is not necessarily a 3:1 ratio. it is a condition agreed to between the ATBSOV and Forest Hill's.

G'day Jagga;
What's the problem? [ arm again? ]
Broni you better have some harsh words with your man as most of us want to see him in Melbourne.
All the best
Ray

Ray -

thank you for your kind words, Jagga will be in Melbourne to bowl in Nationals and Seniors Cup. He is sorry that he is not bowling the challenge! Look forward to seeing you there :wink:

Broni

Back
Top Bottom