I'm disappointed with the bowling community

dishman

I generally avoid posting negative things on this forum but I' m really disappointed with the response Tony Drexel has gotten with his proposed membership to keep the tenpin bowling show on the air. For $20 a month a month, you receive membership, DVDs and keep the show going. 2 people have signed up.
I think it's finally answers the question what is wrong with bowling........it appears to be the bowlers themselves. If they don't give a damn about bowling being on TV, why should anyone else???
Rant over.

I dont know how well advertised it is in the city, but until the NSW OPEN 2010 i had no idea Australia had any tv coverage at all for bowling. Coming from a smaller town i would never learn of such a thing, and this is the first im hearing about this membership aswell. I didnt even know this forum existed until 2007. My 1st 300 game wasnt recognised and was trying to reach out to a bowling community to get the problem sorted, never was.

I think you will find alot of people would support something like this, but everybody has to remember there is alot of bowling centres in this country and alot of bowling enthusiasts. Probly less than 2-3% of those people even know this forum exists, let alone TV coverage .Just an example of course but i think the support would be there ...... if you got the word out to enough people.

I only found out about the membership via Facebook. Interestingly so did the other 2186 other fans of them on FB.

to be fair those 190000 views are world wide..

but i agree with Daz... i hadnt heard of the show until recently (within last yr) and i hadnt heard of any membership drive... was it posted on here?

G'Day,

I had heard about it on Face Book a few weeks ago. We don't get the channel locally so did not bother.

Not for a lack of interest by any means but due to access. What the guys have said to me tonight is that they are trying to do is get the numbers up to go to a greater audience on a more available community channel.

I believe the bigger problem maybe that the shows are available on YouTube along with every other bowling event around the world from PBA to WTBA etc. Bowling is fighting a tough sporting market and free to gain YouTube access.

I would be more than happy for the TBA to say your membership is going up to help fund the sports profile on T.V and the Tenpin Bowling Show was supported by the governing body. It may have already been put to the TBA but maybe Cara and the gang could look at it as a value add to the membership.

Just a thought I could be way off the mark but would really like to see the governing body of the sport in this country involved.

Thanks for the PM whoever sent that to me but sounds like an issue that maybe should if been sorted out at the time

Hi John
Without support, the show will fold and that means no more filming for us to view for free on YouTube.
I personally think bowlers need to stop expecting someone else to fix the sport for them and take a proactive role themselves and be part of the solution.
There's a lot of talk on this forum about how to improve the sport. It's time for people to step up and put their money where their mouth is. I hope and think they will....but I'm a glass half full kind of guy.

Hi John
Without support, the show will fold and that means no more filming for us to view for free on YouTube.
I personally think bowlers need to stop expecting someone else to fix the sport for them and take a proactive role themselves and be part of the solution.
There's a lot of talk on this forum about how to improve the sport. It's time for people to step up and put their money where their mouth is. I hope and think they will....but I'm a glass half full kind of guy.

Totally agree, Just joined.

Dishman,

I have better things to do with my money and I really don't need or want DVDs.
I already pay our governing body, TBA, higher subscriptions to help promote the sport.
I support bowling as much as the next person (sometimes more).

"I think it's finally answers the question what is wrong with bowling........it appears to be the bowlers themselves. If they don't give a damn about bowling being on TV, why should anyone else??"

I really don't care if it is on TV or not as I have never watched it on TV and to be honest I think it only showcases the sport and does not promote it. I have reasons for not subscribing and none of them have to do with whether or not I support bowling. The stupidity here is that people expect (almost demand) that bowlers subscribe. It was a good idea, it didn't work, get over it.

Subtle difference Robbie. If you were not so quick to jump on it you might even look at it and understand what I am saying.

Is the show a direct promotion/advertisement of the sport, showing how people young and old and of all different backgrounds/abilities can play the sport? Is it directly encouraging people to walk in the door and showing the benefits of league membership and so on? Or is it simply coverage of events (usually the final) that in turn creates awareness?

Is the show a direct promotion/advertisement of the sport, showing how people young and old and of all different backgrounds/abilities can play the sport? Is it directly encouraging people to walk in the door and showing the benefits of league membership and so on? Or is it simply coverage of events (usually the final) that in turn creates awareness?

I'm not really much of a Televised Sport watcher really- watch the very occasional bit from time to time. Watch the cricket a bit more than the others.

I'll make a point of watching some for a week or so. The various football codes - whatever is on. Basketball - maybe some Motor Sport, etc., to see how they go about promoting the entry levels of their sport and so on.

As an addition, I must say that I am surprised by people who are regulars on this forum, not being aware of the Tenpin Bowling Shows existance. Discussions regarding it have been the subject of a number of threads on this site in recent years, including querying why it was not the producer of the 2010 Nationals videos. It was the next year and did a top class job. There was also a thread on here regarding a difference of opinion between this site ( Total Bowling ) and the Tenpin Bowling Show website, because the TBS site started a ;forum' section.

Lets hear from all, or at least some of our prominent bowlers who have been featured on the show. OK, girls and boys, let's hear from you, and do you intent to support it. If so, how? If not, why not?
By the way, you can all get TVS, or the other community channels on your computer, and watch the shows in the same timeslots as if you were in their reception area.

Come on George, Michael, Jason, and on and on - dozens of all our best and brightest, and quite a few not as well known too - come on, what do you think should happen to the Tenpin Bowling Show.

Might get some tips to pass on to the Tenpin Bowling Show?

I think some people are missing the point that some people are making here.

Not everyone has the obsession of bowling league, tournaments then going home and watching bowling. Some people just come here to keep up with news and see what gear is out. Not everyone wants to know every intricate detail, study bowling, get coaching, watch bowling online or on TV.

Bowling is an expensive sport, and you will notice alot of the better bowlers around the joint who have been a long time are professionals in their chosen profession and many hold high level jobs. They have better things to do.

I know, I for one am currently working full-time, doing a research project as a second job and am studying as well. I have got better things to do than watching bowling on-line.

I think it has nothing to do with supporting bowling. It's not really raising awareness of bowling or promoting the sport. Bowling has been around forever and everyone knows what it is.

It's not like it's a rising sport and by having it on TV once a month is getting it's name out there!

I can say without fear of contradiction CO that in the centres I ran at the time bowling was screened during the lunch break in the cricket there was a noticeable spike in social play that afternoon [and as a result we were able to floor more league bowlers] - I can also say without fear of contradiction that Gary Player was correct when he said ..."all publicity is good publicity" [even the Grim Reaper ads had people thinking about bowling and as any year one Marketing student will tell you "thought is very often followed by a relative action"].

Dissecting these realities is pure semantics.

Agree with Steve - - Again !! - Look, those of you who have no interest in watching Bowling on TV. Fine - nobody's critising you, or trying to persuade or force you to do so. Neither is there any pressure on you to support it, financially or otherwise.

I don't understand why you think you should comment about it. Why not just leave those of us who do like it, and see merit in it to work out if it deserves our support, and, individually, with our different circumstances, how we might do that.

Please think before you continue to give us the 'benefit' of your further views.

Jim

Yes most publicity is good publicity and yes the guys have done a great job of running the show. I believe the show only creates awareness and does not actually promote the sport and others think I am wrong. All that is fine but where does any of it mean that the bowlers have to subscribe or they do not support bowling?

The fact that people have posted on both here and facebook basically abusing the bowling community for not subscribing is nothing short of a joke.

Yes most publicity is good publicity and yes the guys have done a great job of running the show. I believe the show only creates awareness and does not actually promote the sport and others think I am wrong. All that is fine but where does any of it mean that the bowlers have to subscribe or they do not support bowling?

The fact that people have posted on both here and facebook basically abusing the bowling community for not subscribing is nothing short of a joke.

I find your attitude towards those of us trying to promote the show (and by definition, the sport) horribly negative. You do not have to be offended, or are you feeling guilt? Dishmans comments were not necessarily directed at you, but you have decided to take the moral high ground in your continuing negativity towards the sport. If you have nothing positive to contribute (and it appears you do not from your comment "It was a great idea but it didn't work. Get over it"), it might be better not to contribute at all.

Yes, I have a vested interest in seeing the show continue, I readily admit that. However, I also believe that the show is a necessary ingredient in the future of the sport. What you do not understand is that we are attempting to take the show beyond community TV. This can only be achieved by continually improving the show as we are always striving to do, in order to attract interest from a national broadcaster.

You also do not understand the mega dollars that the Drexel family has committed to the production of a show we can be justly be proud of. It has cost them a family home and a secure financial future. It is incumbent upon as many of us as possible to ensure the show not only remains on air, but becomes at least profitable enough for the Drexels to at least recoup some of their immense financial commitment.

A financial commitment that was made to benefit the sport we (well most of us) are passionate about.

Back
Top Bottom